Followup: Jamie Waylett Admits to Cannabis Possession Charge

Legal
July 16, 2009, 08:36 AM

A followup today regarding the case involving actor Jamie Waylett (Vincent Crabbe) and his arrest involving possession of an illegal substance. Appearing at the City of Westminster Magistrates' Court in London, England, the Telegraph reports Jamie plead guilty to growing ten Cannabis plants at his mothers home in England.  Readers will recall that Jamie (19) and a friend John Innis (20) were both arrested a few months ago after a police search of a friends car found eight bags of Cannabis and a knife. Later searches of their residences produced the plants at the Waylett home and three additional bags belonging to Innis. The paper states of the events today in court:

Innis admitted possession of a knife and having 11 bags of cannabis. Adjourning the hearing until July 21, chief magistrate Timothy Workman said: "Clearly the possession of cannabis is a serious matter and indeed the possession of knives is serious as well. "At the moment I'm not giving you any promises as to how the court will deal with this case."

Defending, Cheryl Rudden said Waylett had been videoing the road side for a music compilation when he caught the attention of officers. The court heard police found shots of the cannabis plants that the star had been growing on the same camera. This led them to search the men's homes. Ms Rudden told the court: "There are possibly issues as to his future in his field so far."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Legal News

Capture10_thumb

he probably wont be back for the last one. They may kill of Goyle instead.

Posted by Gryffindor1991 {ROAR!!!} on July 16, 2009, 10:11 AM report to moderator

All things being equal he should get a fine and be put on probation on the 21 July 2009. But, if the chief magistrate wants to make an example of him, it could mean real trouble. Otherwise he should be fine as long as he can stay away from the stuff!!

Posted by rotfang07 on July 16, 2009, 10:19 AM report to moderator
4pchrmb_thumb

A bad guy in the movie is a bad guy in real life.

Go figure.

Posted by lupinwandcaster on July 16, 2009, 10:22 AM report to moderator
I_thought_about_flying____by_siriuslyec_thumb

perhaps they’ll give the big scene to Goyle instead?

Posted by PaintTheSky on July 16, 2009, 10:24 AM report to moderator
I_thought_about_flying____by_siriuslyec_thumb

perhaps they’ll give the big scene to Goyle instead?

Posted by PaintTheSky on July 16, 2009, 10:24 AM report to moderator
Glamouranddrama_thumb

I reckon it’ll be ok. He’ll probably have to do community service & get fined or something. As to not being in the movies: dozens of actors have prison records and yet they still act in plenty of films – he should be fine as long as he keeps his nose clean from now on :)

lol Lupinwandcaster you took the words right out of my mouth – this is such a Crabbe thing to do!

Posted by Glamour on July 16, 2009, 10:27 AM report to moderator

He’s in competition with Weasley’s Wizard’s Weed..

Posted by entoptic on July 16, 2009, 10:30 AM report to moderator
Bookandcoffee_thumb

Movie stars have had far worse charges on drug possession and charged with far worse crimes and have gotten of Scott free, and haven’t been shunned from movies, kids movies or otherwise. He’s young, he’s famous, chances are the judge will fine him, he’ll do a public "I’m so sorry,, I (insert sob story here), he’ll go to rehab, then be back to be axed of for the film.

Posted by Bookwormjules on July 16, 2009, 10:31 AM report to moderator
Prophecy_thumb

I really do hope Jamie rebounds from all of this. Yes, it was a stupid thing that he did. But he is 19 years old. I’m not saying that’s an excuse because it certainly is not. I’m saying that everyone who is calling him a “bad guy” for this needs to take a good look at themselves and the people they hung/hang around with at that age. People do really stupid things at that age. People do really stupid things at every age. Do you really think this kid’s life should be ruined because he did this really stupid thing? He grew some cannibis plants. Oh yeah, definitely the end of the world (heavy sarcasm here). I did far dumber things when I was 19 and I paid the price for it, believe me. But I picked myself up by the bootstraps, learned from what happened, and moved on. As did most of the population at large. And anyone who says they never did anything incredibly stupid is a big, fat liar.

Jamie, if you read this, I just want you to know that there are a lot of us out here on your side and sending out all the good vibes that you recover from this, learn from it, and rise above it to become a better person. It’s all anyone can ever ask from anyone and I believe that you can do this. The very best of luck to you, Jamie. All my hopes.

Posted by DeliaDee on July 16, 2009, 10:41 AM report to moderator
Ball_pic_thumb

He’s just thrown it all away!

Posted by Hopelaa93 on July 16, 2009, 10:47 AM report to moderator
Groucho2_thumb

Are any of those reading this in the UK, and can you give us what the normal court actions are there in cases like this (first offense, illegal substance for own use but no evidence of an effort to distribute)? Here in the US, 99.9999999% of the time, its a slap on the wrist, and as others have noted community service and possibly some mandatory drug/alcohol counseling. But in the UK, while I assume its similar, I don’t know for certain.

Delia, the list of stupid things I have done would equal the length of GoF ;-)

I again note tho that, given the large number of young people involved in the HP films, it really is remarkable that Jamie W’s problem is the only serious one we have heard about. Radcliffe and the others have noted, and I think correctly, that a similar project in the US would have generated scandals for years to come (anyone old enough to remember Susan Dey and the Partridge Family? Dana Plato? and on and on with ‘young actors’ in the US who have huge personal and legal issues….)

Posted by budb on July 16, 2009, 10:52 AM report to moderator
Wallpaper_ada_wong_02_thumb

This is really sad what a waste.Why would he ruin the great opportunity he had with Harry Potter?!

Posted by minishiva on July 16, 2009, 11:04 AM report to moderator
Araneus_diadematus_thumb

I think marajuana use / posession is blown WAY out of proportion: if it was legalized, there would be no need to grow it criminally and carry knives etc.

Now, the carrying a knife: given the tragedy that befell Robert Knox, that is far far more serious, and I understand that it wasn’t Jamie himself that was carrying a knife, and Innis admitted to the knife posession.

Let’s let Jamie get out of the ‘drug scene’ and get his life back on track. I don’t think someone caught with marajuana should be blacklisted from working, or working on ‘youth oriented’ movies, but certainly the knife possession thing is serious (In the UK, knife possession is sort-of like gun possession in the US, I expect, in terms of negative social impact) and if Jamie has gotten himself involved in things where he needs to carry a knife (either for defense OR offense) he needs to be sent to jail for a bit to cool off.

Posted by Caracticus on July 16, 2009, 11:17 AM report to moderator
Pansy_thumb

What a shame!

Posted by pansy parkinson on July 16, 2009, 11:19 AM report to moderator
The_one__colored_by_burdge_bug_thumb

They’d probably jsut make the big bit goyle instead of crabbe….

how long is he going to jail? or did the article say that and i jsut read it wrong?

Posted by Luce-Lupin !~ROAR~! on July 16, 2009, 11:23 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

They ended up having lunch with Hagrid, though they didn't eat much -- Hagrid had made what he said was a beef casserole, but after Hermione unearthed a large talon in hers, she, Harry, and Ron rather lost their appetites.