Dan Radcliffe Talks Return of Gary Oldman and More for Deathly Hallows

DH Film
July 16, 2009, 02:02 PM

In a new interview with MTV, actor Dan Radcliffe discusses filming the scene in the forest for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Noting he is nervous about filming that long walk in the forest, Dan tells MTV "The good thing is — it suddenly occurred to me the other day — Gary Oldman will be in there for that scene," the young actor said. "He's always somebody who — just from being around, I don't know whether it is from some kind of quite pure and childish desire to want to impress him or out of the fact that he just gets something out of me — having him around for some reason on the fifth film was such an amazing thing for me as an actor, and hopefully he'll have that effect again."

Director David Yates and Dan also speak on the epilogue, and having the main Trio appear in that scene.

"There's something extraordinary about the audience's knowledge of them when they were this high and then seeing them where they are 38," he said. "There's something really beautiful about that circle, so it has to be them. I think if after seven or eight movies, we recast them in that last scene — we all thought, 'No way, we can't do that.' " Radcliffe admitted that he always feared the epilogue: "This is the last image people are going to have of the films, and I'd rather they did it with other actors than did it with us and it looked bad." But after seeing how realistically visual effects modified an actor's age in "Benjamin Button," he's become a convert. "I might get to see what I look like if I was 5-foot-8, which will be a thrill for me!" he laughed."

Related: You can see two videos on this subject, with new comments from Tom Felton and Bonnie Wright on the prospect of appearing in the Epilogue as well as a hilarious one from Dan on the actual names of the two DH films.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Picture_4_thumb

It’s great to see Gary Oldman return for DH and I’m excited that they are keeping the actors for the epilogue. It wouldn’t be the same without them! It’d feel wrong; out of place.

Posted by Hannahmation on July 16, 2009, 07:25 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_finale_thumb

I watched the videos. I always without fail get a laugh watching Daniel Radcliffe. Such a quick wit. If he ever wants to drop acting and go into standup he probably could pull it off.

Posted by polyjusposhun on July 16, 2009, 07:29 PM report to moderator
A8e7634a3ee432be_thumb

Gary Oldman is awesome, I have been a fan of his since Bram Stoker’s Dracula, another awesome film!

Posted by Halloween Master on July 16, 2009, 11:16 PM report to moderator
Me_thumb

Yey!.. Gary Oldman will return… I’m liking it…

Posted by alegria35 on July 17, 2009, 12:27 AM report to moderator
Harry-and-ginny-hugging-half-blood-prince-harry-potter-actors-1550738-400-371_thumb
iamminerva I love that new seen you came up with. I got teary eyed just reading it. it was awesome
Posted by Ready for some quidditch on July 17, 2009, 12:46 AM report to moderator

I can’t wait to see this scene, All DH news is excellent

Posted by WolfyWizard on July 17, 2009, 01:25 AM report to moderator
Wig4_thumb

I think that scene is going to be amazing, I can’t wait!

Posted by Fleur-de- Lily on July 17, 2009, 04:16 AM report to moderator

I’m so glad they’re including Gary Oldman in this movie. Can’t wait to see the epilogue! I agree – it would be cool to have JKR in the last film. :)

Posted by heliotrope on July 17, 2009, 05:16 AM report to moderator
2_1__1__thumb

Sirius is gonna be back! OMG,I’m gonna start screaming now!!! Well, even though they are all gonna be mere ghosts or something similar I still wanna scream…

Posted by Aradion on July 17, 2009, 05:25 AM report to moderator
2_1__1__thumb

Grrr, two years left for DH….!!!!!

Posted by Aradion on July 17, 2009, 05:26 AM report to moderator
100_0003_thumb

wow…i think it will be one of the best part of that movie…

Posted by Biswajit-ROAR on July 17, 2009, 05:58 AM report to moderator

It would be great if they all come back. Sadly I don’t think Cedric will, since Rob is so famous now, I don’t think he will want to return, he always laugh now when he is asked about HP, as if it is a just childish thing…

Posted by ethanHP on July 17, 2009, 07:32 AM report to moderator
Ronhermione_thumb

oh yeah!!! i cant wait 4 that scene!!! dan really looks up 2 gary!!

Weasleywheezes_thumb

Glad Gary’s gonna be back, love him!

Posted by Mrs Fred Weasley ROAR! (OoM1) on July 17, 2009, 08:30 AM report to moderator
Rimg0123_thumb

I think the forest scene will be the most amazing one of all films. I’m really looking forward to seeing Gary Oldman again and the of course the epilogue

Posted by Tschudiff [FTC!] on July 17, 2009, 08:57 AM report to moderator

Even Harry, who knew nothing about the different brooms, thought it looked wonderful. Sleek and shiny, with a mahogany handle, it had a long tail of neat, straight twigs and Nimbus Two Thousand written in gold near the top.