Dan Radcliffe Talks Return of Gary Oldman and More for Deathly Hallows

DH Film
July 16, 2009, 02:02 PM

In a new interview with MTV, actor Dan Radcliffe discusses filming the scene in the forest for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Noting he is nervous about filming that long walk in the forest, Dan tells MTV "The good thing is — it suddenly occurred to me the other day — Gary Oldman will be in there for that scene," the young actor said. "He's always somebody who — just from being around, I don't know whether it is from some kind of quite pure and childish desire to want to impress him or out of the fact that he just gets something out of me — having him around for some reason on the fifth film was such an amazing thing for me as an actor, and hopefully he'll have that effect again."

Director David Yates and Dan also speak on the epilogue, and having the main Trio appear in that scene.

"There's something extraordinary about the audience's knowledge of them when they were this high and then seeing them where they are 38," he said. "There's something really beautiful about that circle, so it has to be them. I think if after seven or eight movies, we recast them in that last scene — we all thought, 'No way, we can't do that.' " Radcliffe admitted that he always feared the epilogue: "This is the last image people are going to have of the films, and I'd rather they did it with other actors than did it with us and it looked bad." But after seeing how realistically visual effects modified an actor's age in "Benjamin Button," he's become a convert. "I might get to see what I look like if I was 5-foot-8, which will be a thrill for me!" he laughed."

Related: You can see two videos on this subject, with new comments from Tom Felton and Bonnie Wright on the prospect of appearing in the Epilogue as well as a hilarious one from Dan on the actual names of the two DH films.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Kit_thumb

Well gee, 38 isn’t like 80! It shouldn’t be all that difficult. I mean, 38 year olds aren’t all wrinkled or anything. I loved the epilogue and I can’ t wait until their kids are cast.

Posted by Fereverto on July 16, 2009, 05:12 PM report to moderator
Screen_shot_2011-08-05_at_5

Thank god Sirius is coming backk!

Posted by Sirius17 -ROAR_ on July 16, 2009, 05:14 PM report to moderator
Harry-potter-and-the-order-of-the-phoenix-20070416023332981_thumb

What!? I had no idea that was official!!! YAY!! That makes me about a bazillion times more excited to see DH

Posted by SiriusGirl19 [ROAR] on July 16, 2009, 05:16 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Glad to see this…

Posted by Won_Two on July 16, 2009, 05:16 PM report to moderator
Mcgonagalldh_thumb

Chetti: yeah, I’m just talking in general. There are people who see the films who do not read the books. Case in point: the first time I went to see “GOF” and Lucius Malfoy was revealed to be one of the Deatheaters in the graveyard scene, I could hear a couple of people gasp. This clearly indicates that they had not read the book. Though, if you think about it, anyone who had seen the previous films shouldn’t have been the least bit shocked to see Lucius in that scene. Lucius Malfoy…a Deatheater. Well, duh!! :) Anyway, I just wish the people involved in the films would stop giving away so much.

Posted by iamminerva on July 16, 2009, 05:21 PM report to moderator
Closeupoftriohbp_thumb

Great interview as usual. Can always count on Dan to give great answers to the questions along with a little humor. Glad Yates wants to bring back the original actors for the characters; it wouldn’t be right with other actors playing those parts.

Posted by beewell on July 16, 2009, 05:37 PM report to moderator
Img_0645_thumb

He’s right. Having the last image of the trio be three totally different actors is not the way to go.

The only way it would work with other actors is if it ended with a montage of the trio from previous films, laughing and being friendly, etc.

As is, though, I think they’ll use the original actors.

Posted by big_pale on July 16, 2009, 05:44 PM report to moderator
Mcgonagalldh_thumb

Regarding the filming of the epilogue: I think the important thing about that will not be what the actors look like but how they behave. They will have to act like 38 year-olds.

I was thinking about how directors add their own scenes to movies. I would like to see something added to DH regarding Teddy Lupin and Harry being his godfather. It would happen after the battle at Hogwarts and before the epilogue. (Cue the touching John Williams soundtrack music) Harry goes to the house of Andromeda Tonks, Nymphadora’s mother. She cautiously opens the door and is surprised and relieved to see him. She grabs him, pulls him close to her and starts to cry. Her tears are not only for her own personal losses but for the losses she knows have impacted everyone in the wizarding world. Harry briefly comforts her, then lets her lead him into another room. Little Teddy is in his cradle. (Cue the music to get quieter now as Dan starts to speak). Harry: “Hi, little guy! Look at you, just as brand new as can be.” (Dan picks up the baby.) Harry: “My name is Harry, and I’m your godfather. That means I’m responsible for you. When you get older I’m going to tell you all about your parents and how brave they were. They gave their lives for all of us, especially you. I know a little something about that.” Holding the baby closer, and with tears in his eyes, Harry speaks: “You don’t worry about a thing, Teddy. You’re going to be alright. I’ll see to it.”

(And….scene!) Remember, I’ve got this copyrighted! :) :) If anyone doesn’t like my idea, then come up with your own.

Posted by iamminerva on July 16, 2009, 05:46 PM report to moderator
Dare-to-be-clever_thumb

Gary Oldman!!!!!!!! enough said…im glad theyre sticking to him and not bringing in some (GASP) new actor

Posted by Morgana_Black*WBM* on July 16, 2009, 05:48 PM report to moderator
Malfoy_avatar_thumb

I always hoped Sirius could be brought back from the veil thingy, but oh, well.
Still, the resurection stone scene will be cool, and I’m lookig forward to his seeing Dumbledore again too.

Posted by Hydrus on July 16, 2009, 05:49 PM report to moderator
Capture10_thumb

Yay!!!!! Gary Oldman. He plays Sirius so well. He needs to be in that scene. The need Lily and James back now.

Posted by Gryffindor1991 {ROAR!!!} on July 16, 2009, 05:58 PM report to moderator
Capture10_thumb

Yay!!!!! Gary Oldman. He plays Sirius so well. He needs to be in that scene. They need Lily and James back now.

Capture10_thumb

2865_1127012896097_1250404635_30357756_4615970_n_thumb

wow i can’t wait to see it. i’m glad Gary Oldman will be in it. This is one of my fave scenes in the book, so i can only imagine how it’ll be like to watch.

Posted by got2lovme on July 16, 2009, 06:39 PM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

Love Gary Oldman and can’t wait to see the Epilogue scene! :)

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on July 16, 2009, 07:15 PM report to moderator

"Oy, pea-brain!" yelled Ron from the other side of the chamber, and he threw a metal pipe at it. The troll didn't even seem to notice the pipe hitting its shoulder, but it heard the yell and paused again, turning its ugly snout toward Ron instead...