Dan Radcliffe Talks Return of Gary Oldman and More for Deathly Hallows

DH Film
July 16, 2009, 02:02 PM

In a new interview with MTV, actor Dan Radcliffe discusses filming the scene in the forest for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Noting he is nervous about filming that long walk in the forest, Dan tells MTV "The good thing is — it suddenly occurred to me the other day — Gary Oldman will be in there for that scene," the young actor said. "He's always somebody who — just from being around, I don't know whether it is from some kind of quite pure and childish desire to want to impress him or out of the fact that he just gets something out of me — having him around for some reason on the fifth film was such an amazing thing for me as an actor, and hopefully he'll have that effect again."

Director David Yates and Dan also speak on the epilogue, and having the main Trio appear in that scene.

"There's something extraordinary about the audience's knowledge of them when they were this high and then seeing them where they are 38," he said. "There's something really beautiful about that circle, so it has to be them. I think if after seven or eight movies, we recast them in that last scene — we all thought, 'No way, we can't do that.' " Radcliffe admitted that he always feared the epilogue: "This is the last image people are going to have of the films, and I'd rather they did it with other actors than did it with us and it looked bad." But after seeing how realistically visual effects modified an actor's age in "Benjamin Button," he's become a convert. "I might get to see what I look like if I was 5-foot-8, which will be a thrill for me!" he laughed."

Related: You can see two videos on this subject, with new comments from Tom Felton and Bonnie Wright on the prospect of appearing in the Epilogue as well as a hilarious one from Dan on the actual names of the two DH films.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

41105_10150254604520192_615620191_14488176_2111077_n_thumb

gary!

Posted by placebowiz on July 16, 2009, 03:10 PM report to moderator
Harry_and_ginny_thumb

Yay for sirius =)

Posted by AbiDumbledore on July 16, 2009, 03:17 PM report to moderator
P1010630_thumb

The Epilogue….we’re already talking the epilogue – like in no more, like the end, gulp

Posted by Hagrid 713 (ROAR) on July 16, 2009, 03:21 PM report to moderator
Img_1773_thumb

Woo glad to hear Gary Oldman is coming back. I just watched OOTP last night, to prepare to see HBP tomorrow.

**@personmadatactorsmentioningplotpoints.. not read the books? Here on leaky there is someone who hasn’t read the books? Or did you mean in general, like people who maybe just stumbled onto the series and haven’t gotten through them all yet? Or maybe movie-only folks.. I’m dating one of those.. who asks me constantly whats gonna happen and I tell him simply READ! lol

Posted by Chetti on July 16, 2009, 03:32 PM report to moderator
Img_1773_thumb

Posted by Chetti on July 16, 2009, 03:33 PM report to moderator
Img_1773_thumb

woops, didn’t mean to hit submit twice.. sorry bout that

Posted by Chetti on July 16, 2009, 03:34 PM report to moderator
Rainingmen_thumb

DH sounds like it’s going to be MONUMENTAL (just like the book) – I can’t wait!

Posted by BwaySaint on July 16, 2009, 03:44 PM report to moderator
Rainingmen_thumb

@iamminerva You haven’t read the BOOKS!? With the majority of the HP fandom being readers (er, multiple times) of the books, you can no longer expect them to keep the plot points to themselves – even the actors/producers! They know the majority already know everything inside out. Sorry. But it’s true!

Posted by BwaySaint on July 16, 2009, 03:47 PM report to moderator
Hbpofficiallstills102_thumb

I can’t wait for the Epiloge!

Posted by Harry Potter 4 Ever!! on July 16, 2009, 04:00 PM report to moderator
Hangin__out_at_the_game_-_small_thumb

I’m so glad Gary Oldman is coming back to the series. He definitely became the Sirius in my head while I’ve been rereading. Maybe he’ll leave the shaggy black fur coat at home this time though – lol!

Posted by potter_mom_in_GA on July 16, 2009, 04:03 PM report to moderator
100_166_thumb

Haha bless little Dan he is so small xD

Can’t wait to see that scene though! hank god gary Oldman is back again ^^

Posted by Bockers [WBM] on July 16, 2009, 04:09 PM report to moderator
Dsc08588_thumb

God, that forest scene is going to be intense…* shivers a bit *

And I’m not sure how I feel about the epilogue scene! I myself disliked the epilogue, so I’m not looking forward to seeing it at all, and it’ll be even worse if they do a bad job at aging them up. So fingers crossed they at least make it look believable!

Posted by Jade Danielle (WBM) on July 16, 2009, 04:09 PM report to moderator

I’m glad Oldman is returning. I can’t wait to see the epilogue scene.

Posted by danaskeeter *ROAR!* on July 16, 2009, 04:24 PM report to moderator
Weasleys-da_thumb

Gary Oldman is amazing. Being able to see him again is much like how it felt when Harry used the stone and we got to see Sirius again! Well maybe not as emotional but still very cool.

Posted by fngw417 on July 16, 2009, 04:35 PM report to moderator
Wallpaper_ada_wong_02_thumb

Nice to know.That scene will be very emotional and he is a great actor.

Posted by minishiva on July 16, 2009, 04:58 PM report to moderator

"...they won fair and square... even Wood admits it."[br]"Where is Wood?" said Harry, suddenly realizing he wasn't there.[br]"Still in the showers," said Fred. "We think he's trying to drown himself."