AP Interview with Michael Gambon

Gambon
July 16, 2009, 05:04 PM

The Associated Press has released their interview with Michael Gambon where he discusses his role as Professor Albus Dumbledore in the Harry Potter films. Echoing many of his comments heard earlier from the LA Times, this acclaimed and versatile actor remarks on playing an iconic figure like the beloved Hogwarts Headmaster:

He established himself on the stage with widely hailed performances of Shakespeare ("Othello," "Macbeth," "King Lear") and Harold Pinter ("Betrayal," "The Caretaker"). He was given the nickname "The Great Gambon," praised for the physicality, nuance and unpredictability of his performances. "I've played quite a lot of crooks and killers, and that's quite interesting," says Gambon. "Then Dumbledore is the complete opposite, isn't he? He's a nice old man."...Gambon says, it's common for a young child to anxiously spy him while sipping coffee at a cafe. "It's very odd," Gambon said in an interview shortly after the film's crazed London premiere. "I hadn't realized before just how powerful these things are. I just do the job and go home and you forget it" — adding a snap of his finger...This[being part of the Harry Potter series] will stick out as being a happy memory, being with a thing for so long and the worldwide love of it," says Gambon. "You never forget that."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Gambon News

Herbdcdr_thumb

As much as I loved Richard Harris as Dumbledore, I think Gambon has stepped up to the plate and done a magnificent job as Dumbledore. Harris, in his prime, could have done great in these taxing last scenes, but all those years of living wild took it’s toll on him. Gambon perfectly balanced his aged vulnerability and his wizened masterfulness in HBP! Fabulous! Heart-wrenching! I love that Gambon is a rebel…so was Dumbledore!

Posted by SproutMdme (OoM4,GS,CW) on July 17, 2009, 06:45 PM report to moderator
0oh__snap___xx04_thumb

i agree with skiving snackboxes: he was best in PoA. GoF DD was disastrous and OotP DD made me uncomfortable, and while HBP DD was better, it wasn’t by much. i think a lot of it had to do with the fact that the script had more funny lines from him this time.. but even then, he managed to deliver a lot of them in a rough or crude manner.

Dumbledore is one of my favorite (like, top 3) characters in the books, and in the movies he becomes more like top 30.. so whether it be because of the writer’s, director’s, or actor’s choices for DD in the films (it’s most likely a bit of all), he’s just not doing it for me.

i think the way Dumbledore was portrayed will always be one of my major complaints for the films. it doesn’t stop me from having enjoyed the films at all, but it certainly makes what was one of the most lovable characters in the books into a character that i prefer not to think about too often in the films.

Posted by iceymoon [Cygnus] on July 17, 2009, 08:38 PM report to moderator
Dscn1798-pippi-x_thumb

Finally, Dumbledore was portrayed as in the book. Gambon was excellant!

Posted by JRae on July 17, 2009, 08:40 PM report to moderator
0oh__snap___xx04_thumb

oh, but i forgot to add that Gambon does play a good Dumbledore in the moments when he’s supposed to be serious (battle versus Voldemort, escaping from the Minister, cave scene in HBP, death scene). it’s the moments when he’s supposed to be kind, silly, funny, compassionate, or understanding that i don’t agree with Gambon’s portrayal of DD at all (with the exception of PoA).

Posted by iceymoon [Cygnus] on July 17, 2009, 08:42 PM report to moderator
Harry_snl_thumb

At least he acknowledges that Dumbledore is an iconic figure to the legions of fans!

Dumbledore1_thumb

here i was, thinking i was the only one that wasn’t sure about gambon playing dumbledore. go figure! i am sure my opinion will change after today (FINALLY seeing the movie).

Posted by Empressa on July 18, 2009, 10:44 AM report to moderator
018734281a3970190750b972929570l_normal_thumb

I thought he did a marvelous job in HBP plus I find it kind of funny that Dumbledore is played by this complete eccentric old rebel. I think book Dumbledore would find it funny that Gambon would play him in a film of his life

Posted by KiwiMcI on July 18, 2009, 06:51 PM report to moderator
Dumbledore1_thumb

just got back from the movies… yeah, my opinion has totally changed about gambon. i really enjoyed how dumbledore was portrayed in this one.

Posted by Empressa on July 18, 2009, 09:02 PM report to moderator
Greathornedowl_thumb

I thought he did great in HBP. That was his best version of Dumbledore since PoA.

Posted by PhoenixFlight [ITC!] on July 18, 2009, 09:27 PM report to moderator

I have to agree with iceymoon. I’ll go further, and say thankfully, that Dumbledore has died, and we don’t have to deal with Gambon through an entire movie again. He is definitely horrendous in any non-action scene. He doesn’t know how to deliver the subtle humor and tone that is portrayed in the book. He just gets worse with each film.

Posted by orljustin on July 18, 2009, 09:28 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_lnohl1j5ya1qenanjo1_500_thumb

i like how he add humor into the script with his tone of voice

Posted by The Nerd on July 19, 2009, 11:34 AM report to moderator

I am yet to see the latest movie but am hoping that your comments are right and Gambon has improved! I can’t help thinking he’s fighting a losing battle though, he just isn’t Dumbledore for me. It would help if the movie makers would pay attention to details though – where are his piercing blue eyes and half moon spectacles?? Richard Harris was perfect, he had the gentle voice and kind eyes but Gambon can only get better!

Posted by NonMagicFolk on July 21, 2009, 03:31 PM report to moderator
Rupes_maggie_thumb

it’d be interesting to talk to him i think :)

Posted by hermyone*ROAR* on July 26, 2009, 07:29 PM report to moderator

[i]"Record numbers of stranded holidaymakers fill airports as the Spanish baggage-handlers' strike reaches its second week --"[/i][br]"Give 'em a lifelong siesta, I would," snarled Uncle Vernon over the end of the newsreader's sentence...