AP Interview with Michael Gambon

Gambon
July 16, 2009, 05:04 PM

The Associated Press has released their interview with Michael Gambon where he discusses his role as Professor Albus Dumbledore in the Harry Potter films. Echoing many of his comments heard earlier from the LA Times, this acclaimed and versatile actor remarks on playing an iconic figure like the beloved Hogwarts Headmaster:

He established himself on the stage with widely hailed performances of Shakespeare ("Othello," "Macbeth," "King Lear") and Harold Pinter ("Betrayal," "The Caretaker"). He was given the nickname "The Great Gambon," praised for the physicality, nuance and unpredictability of his performances. "I've played quite a lot of crooks and killers, and that's quite interesting," says Gambon. "Then Dumbledore is the complete opposite, isn't he? He's a nice old man."...Gambon says, it's common for a young child to anxiously spy him while sipping coffee at a cafe. "It's very odd," Gambon said in an interview shortly after the film's crazed London premiere. "I hadn't realized before just how powerful these things are. I just do the job and go home and you forget it" — adding a snap of his finger...This[being part of the Harry Potter series] will stick out as being a happy memory, being with a thing for so long and the worldwide love of it," says Gambon. "You never forget that."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Gambon News

Weasleywheezes_thumb

he was more like Dumbledore in this film, not as angry and harsh as in GoF. More the gentle old man Dumbledore really was.

Posted by Mrs Fred Weasley ROAR! (OoM1) on July 17, 2009, 01:33 AM report to moderator
2_1__1__thumb

I don’t know…It’s just that I’ll always have Richard Harris in my mind, he was great in the first two films and I suppose his figure has just stuck in my head…. although I suppose it’s more complicated than that…

Posted by Aradion on July 17, 2009, 05:30 AM report to moderator
013_thumb

I, too, thought that this performance was an improvement. I did not think his portrayal of a harsher Dumbledore held true to the books. In my mind’s eye, I still invision Richard Harris’ Dumbledore. I truely wish that he could have finished the movies. And for what it’s worth, I like the pony holder in his beard – it keeps the beard neat, no fly-a-ways!

Posted by is.this.real? on July 17, 2009, 07:34 AM report to moderator
Hbpofficiallstills102_thumb

I Love Dumbledore!!!

Posted by Harry Potter 4 Ever!! on July 17, 2009, 09:59 AM report to moderator
Ronhermione_thumb

dumbledore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow – you would of never figured, based on how he plays Dumbledore, that he played killers and opposite roles as this. He really is magnificent!

Posted by AndreaB09 on July 17, 2009, 12:18 PM report to moderator
Emma_thumb

i like his potrayal of dumbledore in this series.

Posted by sinwillys822 ROAR on July 17, 2009, 12:36 PM report to moderator
Hrpetersam_thumb

Gambo is pure great.

Posted by Miss Dracothan on July 17, 2009, 12:48 PM report to moderator
Bb620ecb12c9468f9c2bae8e1750bb27_thumb

this is disturbing..about the cigs..

Posted by GTHunter [FTC!] on July 17, 2009, 01:47 PM report to moderator
394omggggg--chibi_rei_thumb

Like Noble Birth Descending said, what is missing from Gambon’s Dumbledore is the subtle, witty humour and manner of speech, as exemplified in the quotation by Noble Birth Descending, “let us step out into the night and pursue that flightly temptress, adventure.” But Gambon himself is not to blame for that, it’s the scriptwriters who have ripped the movie-Dumbledore of his characteristic way of speaking.

I absolutely adore the book-Dumbledore’s manner of speech! But, unfortunately, the scriptwriters have taken that away and replaced it with words like “assassin” (Dumbledore would not use such a word!) and crude, hurried lines of explaining why Dumbledore cuts his hand in the ante-chamber to The Cave, instead of keeping the wonderfully humorous and so very Dumbledore-ish “Oh, surely not. How crude” when he discovers the blood sacrifice in the book. And what’s with Dumbledore’s sudden interest in Harry’s love life? That’s not Gambon’s fault either of course, he definitely tries to make the best of the lines he’s given.

All in all, I’m very happy with Gambon’s portrayal of Dumbledore in HBP. He is very intense, more intense than the book-Dumbledore, and sometimes a bit too hasty for my liking, but I sincerely doubt that can be attributed to Gambon himself, but rather to Yates and the scriptwriters. The “Severus….please” in the Astronomy Tower was quite perfect. And I liked how they tried to convey Dumbledore’s increasing weakness with making him stumble to sit on the stairs after seeing Slughorn’s true memory.

Posted by MischiefManaged on July 17, 2009, 01:51 PM report to moderator
Stag_1__thumb

I am a Gambon fan till the end. He is Dumbledore. Harris may have been to old and sick to rise to this level. All i can say is long live ALBUS :)

Posted by doublecore on July 17, 2009, 02:58 PM report to moderator
Scarff_copy_thumb

yes but more importantly… has he read the friggin books yet!!???

Posted by weasleyalltheway(rrooaarr!) on July 17, 2009, 03:45 PM report to moderator
149638_103433969730594_2631787_n_thumb

This time, he finally got it right (IMO). This is the Dumbledore I’ve been waiting for.

Truth be told, as great as an actor as Richard Harris was, If he had lived this long, I don’t think he would have been able to handle the physicality of this role.

Posted by sessionka oom4 CW on July 17, 2009, 04:07 PM report to moderator
149638_103433969730594_2631787_n_thumb

BTW

I think him having cigarettes under his robe is HYSTERCAL!!!

Posted by sessionka oom4 CW on July 17, 2009, 04:11 PM report to moderator
Dgraymanclockroom37_thumb

I liked him in PoA, in GoF he was mean, in OotP he just avoided Harry, and I haven’t seen HBP.

Posted by Rumbleroarϟ{WBM!}ǝıʞɔnp! on July 17, 2009, 04:50 PM report to moderator

The dungeon rang with the Slytherins' laughter, and an unpleasant smile curled Snape's thin mouth. To Harry's fury, he began to read the article aloud.[br][i]"'Harry Potter's Secret Heartache'...[/i] dear, dear, Potter, what's ailing you now? [i]'A boy li