AP Interview with Michael Gambon

Gambon
July 16, 2009, 05:04 PM

The Associated Press has released their interview with Michael Gambon where he discusses his role as Professor Albus Dumbledore in the Harry Potter films. Echoing many of his comments heard earlier from the LA Times, this acclaimed and versatile actor remarks on playing an iconic figure like the beloved Hogwarts Headmaster:

He established himself on the stage with widely hailed performances of Shakespeare ("Othello," "Macbeth," "King Lear") and Harold Pinter ("Betrayal," "The Caretaker"). He was given the nickname "The Great Gambon," praised for the physicality, nuance and unpredictability of his performances. "I've played quite a lot of crooks and killers, and that's quite interesting," says Gambon. "Then Dumbledore is the complete opposite, isn't he? He's a nice old man."...Gambon says, it's common for a young child to anxiously spy him while sipping coffee at a cafe. "It's very odd," Gambon said in an interview shortly after the film's crazed London premiere. "I hadn't realized before just how powerful these things are. I just do the job and go home and you forget it" — adding a snap of his finger...This[being part of the Harry Potter series] will stick out as being a happy memory, being with a thing for so long and the worldwide love of it," says Gambon. "You never forget that."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Gambon News

Jacques_tati_hulot1_thumb

“But the 68-year-old actor, who keeps cigarettes hid under Dumbledore’s robes,” Ok, call me crazy or whatever but this is something i didn’t want to know. It’s quite disturbing, at least for me, knowing that while he’s shooting he has cigarettes in his robe…, though it is somehow quite entertaining at the same time, another proof of his rather, well if you follow the stereotypes, strange and eccentric character.

I’m glad though he recognizes the importance of what he’s doing.

Posted by Mr. Brightside on July 16, 2009, 05:16 PM report to moderator
Small_wizard_rock_page_logo_thumb

Well, despite what I said a few days ago, I have to say he did an amazing job this time!! He was our Dumbledore!! Thank you Mr Gambon.

Posted by Neil in Scotland * ROAR! * on July 16, 2009, 05:16 PM report to moderator
Demons_and_angels_rotating_thumb

He does play a great Dumbledore …

Posted by aras on July 16, 2009, 05:17 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

I just wish he would explain that goofy rubber band in his beard…

Posted by Won_Two on July 16, 2009, 05:21 PM report to moderator
Limebat1_thumb

I think he did a great job in HBP, finally a portrayal somewhat closer to my own image of Dumbledore.

Posted by Isabell |OoM4| |*Squee!*| on July 16, 2009, 05:22 PM report to moderator
Th_names_thumb

Well… of COURSE he did Dumbledore a little bit better this time… it’s his LAST CHANCE to get it right! :D

Posted by Ginevra86 on July 16, 2009, 05:37 PM report to moderator

iiiii like him.

Posted by john-robert. on July 16, 2009, 05:38 PM report to moderator
Malfoy_avatar_thumb

Didja notice his beard was whiter in this weeks movie?

Posted by Hydrus on July 16, 2009, 05:51 PM report to moderator
Closeupoftriohbp_thumb

He did great as Dumberdore this time. Still wish he would get rid of that band in his beard..makes him look stupid.

Posted by beewell on July 16, 2009, 05:56 PM report to moderator

I’m glad that he is finally realizing that he has personified Dumbledore, a character beloved by so many. Sure, it may just be acting – another job – to him, but Dumbledore is real to so many people which is why we get so aggravated at the “angry” Dumbledore we’ve seen and are so praise filled when his character is spot on.

I must admit the opening scene on the train platform in the HBP movie where “angry” Dumbledore demanded Harry take his arm replaced the “let us step out into the night and pursue that flightly temptress, adventure” Dumbledore of the book negatively colored my view of the movie. Michael Gambon will only ever understand and portray the Dumbledore that is presented in the movie script and he seems to be doing a good job of that.

Posted by Noble Birth Descending on July 16, 2009, 06:25 PM report to moderator
Capture10_thumb

Hes not my favorite Dumbledore. Richard Harris was but I still like Gambon too.

Posted by Gryffindor1991 {ROAR!!!} on July 16, 2009, 07:37 PM report to moderator
Dhonesheet_thumb

He was AMAZING as Dumbledore in HBP! And I’m really proud of the amount of publicity he and the other older actors are doing for this film. Bravo!

I’ve always liked Gambon. I think he’s perfect!

Posted by cghambright on July 16, 2009, 07:48 PM report to moderator
The_one__colored_by_burdge_bug_thumb

i really like gambon honestly. He screwed up GoF but he’s gotten it right the other times! HBP was perfect.

Richard Harris, as much as i loved him, couldn’t have done the spirited dumbledore we see in the these later books, he works perfectly for the first two.

Posted by Luce-Lupin !~ROAR~! on July 16, 2009, 08:40 PM report to moderator
Patronus_part_2_004_thumb

ok, I’m sorry but I really DO NOT like Gambon as Dumbledore. This book is really Dumbledore’s book. He is wonderful and witty… Gambon does not play this well at all. He did the best in PoA, in my opinion.

Posted by skiving snackboxes on July 16, 2009, 09:06 PM report to moderator
Weasleywheezes_thumb

he was more like Dumbledore in this film, not as angry and harsh as in GoF. More the gentle old man Dumbledore really was.

Posted by Mrs Fred Weasley ROAR! (OoM1) on July 17, 2009, 01:33 AM report to moderator

"Never," said Hagrid irritably, "try an' get a straight answer out of a centaur. Ruddy stargazers. Not interested in anythin' closer'n the moon."

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014