Variety: Half-Blood Prince Takes in 20 Million at Midnight Showings, Beats Dark Knight Update: Now 22 Million

HBP Film
July 15, 2009, 11:44 AM

Well those sold-out showings at midnight certainly proved popular: Variety is reporting that Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince was a huge hit, "taking in as much as $20 million when opening at 12:01 a.m. Wedneday at the domestic B.O., according to early estimates.That figure beats the $18 million earned in midnight runs by Warners’ very own “The Dark Knight” and the $17 million earned by 20th Century Fox’s “Star Wars: Episode III —Revenge of the Sith.” UPDATE: The AP reports WB has announced the actual total is 22.2 Million. Wow!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

5688_135733938384_552133384_3057018_6951656_n_thumb

Great job, Harry! I love that this proves the fandom is stronger than ever :).

Posted by mampersandy on July 15, 2009, 09:21 PM report to moderator
20110714-092024_thumb

haha well that’s awesome! :D

Posted by Greta on July 15, 2009, 09:24 PM report to moderator
Dhrandh_thumb

omg i just remembered another scene that they took out like when harry and hermione are talking in the common room(that was shown in a picture)
WHY DO THEY GIVE US PICS AND SHOW US CLIPS THAT ARE NOT GOING TO BE IN THE MOVIE?
i have another 3, (r/hr moment went they try to see draco, r/hr looking out the window i guess after dumbledore dies, and when ron tells harry “good luck mate” and harry says “i dont need luck, ill be with dumbledore”)
maybe theyre deleted scenes but i needed to see them!
i feel soo confused, im glad i saw it but idk im soo confused. i did feel soo bad when hermione was heartbroken i wanted to cry with her, but it took me a while to think of scenes they didnt put

Posted by Mosu on July 15, 2009, 09:26 PM report to moderator
Dhrandh_thumb

ohhhhhhhh and i think there was another one of the very first pic of HBP with harry and the HBP book, i dont remember seeing that in the movie

Posted by Mosu on July 15, 2009, 09:27 PM report to moderator
Normal_dh_stills_0001_thumb

well i hoped it would’ve done this well, with the time i had to wait in line and all. they will for sure be bringing in more money today as well.

Posted by HPandtheDA007 on July 15, 2009, 09:43 PM report to moderator

A number of pictures that came out are of angles we didn’t get in the film, not that they weren’t there. The first pic with Harry and the book is a shot of Dan when he walks in on a lovesick Ron – it’s just the angle chosen for the movie is on Rupert, not Dan in the background you can see him out of focus in that pose. Likewise harry and hermione talking in teh common room and a shot of Harry and Ginny with Dumbledore’s body – all scenes are in there just different angles only one was missing that I recall – the trio walking across a courtyard with Emma in a pink? top. Yates talks about that one being cut in a red carpet interview.

Posted by Kezzabear on July 15, 2009, 09:51 PM report to moderator
Mockingjap_pin_thumb

And that’s called Kicking Twilight’s Ass!

Posted by Acciorusty {ROAR!} on July 15, 2009, 09:57 PM report to moderator
Films_dh_articles_dhew_11_thumb

HBP was awesome! I’m glad that it is breaking records! $22.2 million is a lot of money made in just a short amount of time! I’m interested in knowing how much money it would make by the end of this weekend! It might break more records!

Posted by harrypotter1991{ROAR} on July 15, 2009, 10:11 PM report to moderator
Kit_thumb

Wow, that’s an awesome start! I didn’t get to see it at midnight, but I saw it this evening and I liked it a LOT. WB is going to get some more money from me because I MUST see it again. I may have missed something the first time. :)~

Posted by Fereverto on July 15, 2009, 10:47 PM report to moderator

This news is not really shocking. Dedicated fans are everywhere and turn up to support the series. The gross earnings will definitely be a huge number.

Posted by cauldronjane on July 15, 2009, 11:00 PM report to moderator

I bought my ticket on Sunday (July 12) Premier ticket (Tuesday, July 14) was sold out in 3 theaters that was close to me, so I ended up buying July 15 ticket and I got the last 15 ticket. July 18 (which I will watch with my grand children) only a few was left for an early afternoon show. Mind you I’m talking about 3-4 cinema in a theater. Harry Potter is really big and most CHOSEN ONE! :)

Posted by harrmione55 on July 15, 2009, 11:31 PM report to moderator

OH BTW I’ll say it again, they cut the part in the book when Harry gave Hermione, Ginny and Ron the Felix Felicis and the battle inside the Hogwarts students/teachers and death eaters when Draco filled the ground with black smoke. I really want to see that and it wasn’t there. :(

Posted by harrmione55 on July 15, 2009, 11:35 PM report to moderator

That is fantastic. I, myself, saw it at midnight and saw it later on again on opening day. I think this just shows how loyal fans truly are to Harry Potter.

Posted by dakota1084 on July 15, 2009, 11:39 PM report to moderator
Avatars_house2_03_thumb

I was one of the one waiting for 2.5 hrs outside the theater last night but it was so worth it. I want to see it at least 2 more times.

Posted by Gryffindorprincess09 on July 16, 2009, 12:22 AM report to moderator
200px-hermione_s_patronus_thumb

I was out there too got my tickets online weeks ago I LOVED IT SO MUCH CAN’T WAIT FOR IT TO COME OUT ON DVD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by mobellatrixROAR on July 16, 2009, 04:17 AM report to moderator

Out of the corner of his eye he saw the fluttering banner high above, flashing Potter for President over the crowd. His heart skipped. He felt braver.