Variety: Half-Blood Prince Takes in 20 Million at Midnight Showings, Beats Dark Knight Update: Now 22 Million

HBP Film
July 15, 2009, 11:44 AM

Well those sold-out showings at midnight certainly proved popular: Variety is reporting that Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince was a huge hit, "taking in as much as $20 million when opening at 12:01 a.m. Wedneday at the domestic B.O., according to early estimates.That figure beats the $18 million earned in midnight runs by Warners’ very own “The Dark Knight” and the $17 million earned by 20th Century Fox’s “Star Wars: Episode III —Revenge of the Sith.” UPDATE: The AP reports WB has announced the actual total is 22.2 Million. Wow!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

Luna_thumb

What’s that they say? BEATS Dark Knight? YOU LOSE WB!!!!!

Posted by Luna Ravenclaw on July 15, 2009, 04:12 PM report to moderator

It looks like they have revised the midnight gross up to 22 million. Looking good for breaking some records this weekend or at least getting very close.

Posted by ender650 on July 15, 2009, 04:15 PM report to moderator

I’m so glad I went it was so worth waiting for.

Posted by angelvoice on July 15, 2009, 04:16 PM report to moderator
Dsc08588_thumb

Oh my goodness! That’s amazing!

Posted by Jade Danielle (WBM) on July 15, 2009, 04:28 PM report to moderator
Dsc08588_thumb

ender650, it’s definitely looking that way, and I hope they manage it!

Posted by Jade Danielle (WBM) on July 15, 2009, 04:29 PM report to moderator
102_0002_thumb

This movie was so AMAZING <3 YAY!

Posted by Carmenriots on July 15, 2009, 04:52 PM report to moderator
Picture_6_thumb

Woohoo! I waited outside my theatre from 2pm until midnight – and it was definitely worth it! I absolutely loved it!

Posted by Emily [ROAR] on July 15, 2009, 04:59 PM report to moderator
Bk5ch19_thumb

this was the first time i had ever been a part of a potter “party” like this. it was awesome. thank you all of you who love harry like me.

Posted by weaselyfan on July 15, 2009, 05:13 PM report to moderator
Lily_evans_thumb

Wow that is so great and insane to make 20mil but hey we waited that
long for the movie what else is to be expected.

Posted by Athenamalfoy on July 15, 2009, 05:23 PM report to moderator
Radcliffe_articles_2011gq_0005_thumb

I waited like three hours for the movie to start. it was totally woth the wait. now its my favorite moviee, very funny! And people were saying that Twilight was going to be much better, they can’t even touch HBP! <33 IT!.

Posted by fan.numero1 [SFTC!] on July 15, 2009, 05:28 PM report to moderator
Msn_thumb

Woa! That’s awesome! I saw the movie last night (midnight) and it was great!!! LOVED IT!!!!!!!!

Posted by HermioneRon4ever on July 15, 2009, 05:49 PM report to moderator
Dhrandh_thumb

i just came back from watching the movie and man they took out a LOT of things that they put int hr trialers like when they show ron and hermione looking out of the window and when ron tells harry good luck but then harry says “i dont need luck ill be with dumbledore”. i bearly noticed that but omg they took out a lot of parts
i was soo happy but now im disapointed

Posted by Mosu on July 15, 2009, 05:58 PM report to moderator

!! I really can’t wait to see this… I’m watching it next wednesday!

Posted by Kohina on July 15, 2009, 06:17 PM report to moderator
Dhcalendar_thumb

i need to see this movie!!! I wont be able to see it until Friday!!… im gona start cry tries to hold self together

Posted by Brianna on July 15, 2009, 06:35 PM report to moderator
2865_1127012896097_1250404635_30357756_4615970_n_thumb

wow! well i would assume it would be a lot knowing how much theaters were showing it.

Posted by got2lovme on July 15, 2009, 06:41 PM report to moderator

The staffroom door banged open again. For one wild moment, Harry was sure it would be Dumbledore. But it was Lockhart, and he was beaming.[br]"So sorry -- dozed off -- what have I missed?"