Variety: Half-Blood Prince Takes in 20 Million at Midnight Showings, Beats Dark Knight Update: Now 22 Million

HBP Film
July 15, 2009, 11:44 AM

Well those sold-out showings at midnight certainly proved popular: Variety is reporting that Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince was a huge hit, "taking in as much as $20 million when opening at 12:01 a.m. Wedneday at the domestic B.O., according to early estimates.That figure beats the $18 million earned in midnight runs by Warners’ very own “The Dark Knight” and the $17 million earned by 20th Century Fox’s “Star Wars: Episode III —Revenge of the Sith.” UPDATE: The AP reports WB has announced the actual total is 22.2 Million. Wow!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

15ppnr5_thumb

That’s the way we Harry Potter fans work!

Posted by KimmyZ on July 15, 2009, 01:40 PM report to moderator
15ppnr5_thumb

That’s the way we Harry Potter fans work!

Posted by KimmyZ on July 15, 2009, 01:40 PM report to moderator

Am I the only * one who thought they absolutely butchered the story??? I mean (spoiler alert) they totally didn’t even show the last battle in the castle, and the BURNED DOWN THE BURROW!!! What the #@#%$&#$ was Steve Kloves thinking? The Elder Wand chilling in Dumbledore’s office right after the attack, the lack of a tomb or funeral scene… gah the cast was the best they’ve been but the story seemed kind of incidental to me.

Posted by AerynYVTV on July 15, 2009, 01:46 PM report to moderator
Tat_thumb

I personally was not happy….What was with Harry asking out that waitress????

Posted by Cigaro on July 15, 2009, 01:53 PM report to moderator
Weasly_thumb

at the theater i was at, they told us that they sold about 950 tickets in advance for Order of the Phoenix. for Half-Blood Prince, they sold 1800 tickets in advance, which is the biggest advance ticket sale they’ve ever had. so cool!

Posted by WannabeWeasly on July 15, 2009, 02:16 PM report to moderator
Andysnowhead2002b1_thumb

22 million thats a great night

Posted by Mugglejeff on July 15, 2009, 02:19 PM report to moderator
Capture10_thumb

wow! i wish i could have went at midnight. i hope i can go in the next few days.

Posted by Gryffindor1991 {ROAR!!!} on July 15, 2009, 02:23 PM report to moderator

Woohoo, just back from seeing the HBP

Posted by paulc on July 15, 2009, 02:28 PM report to moderator

I went to a 16:00 showing here in Scotland. I was far more happy with this film than I was with OOTP!

Posted by paulc on July 15, 2009, 02:31 PM report to moderator
Leaky_ron_icon_thumb
20305 Points

didn’t see that one coming. rolls eyes

Posted by friendofblob on July 15, 2009, 02:54 PM report to moderator
Ronhermione_thumb

dang it!!! thats a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot of money!!!

Photo1-1_thumb

Blooody hell! 22 million dollars?! There’s no way twilight can compete with that, what are people thinking?!

Posted by Orchidea on July 15, 2009, 03:45 PM report to moderator
Photo1-1_thumb

Posted by Orchidea on July 15, 2009, 03:45 PM report to moderator

I went to see this at the cinema earlier. They have a showing every 40 mins between 11am and 10pm but everyone has already sold out so I’ve had to book one for tomorrow.

Posted by heir_of_slytherin on July 15, 2009, 03:55 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_finale_thumb

And that is just for the ticket prices. : ) Judging by the amount of people standing next to me at the concession stand at just the one theater I was at, the theaters did really well on their sales too. I have often wondered, though, if they shouldn’t be comparing the ticket sales between movies by a percentage rather than dollar number. Just as an example, I went to the midnight release of Twilight and the ticket price was only 4.95 (US dollars), but the showing I was at for HP last night was at the same theater, but cost twice as much. I am not sure if that is just due to rising ticket prices or what the studios establish as to what to charge, or if it is up to the theater to decide? I know the IMAX tickets will be even more than that, so when HP:HBP opens in wider release in IMAX the numbers will get even higher.

Posted by polyjusposhun on July 15, 2009, 03:59 PM report to moderator

"I didn't think of Voldemort," said Harry honestly. "I -- I remembered those dementors."[br]"I see," said Lupin thoughtfully. "Well, well... I'm impressed." He smiled slightly at the look of surprise on Harry's face. "That suggests that what you fear most