Variety: Half-Blood Prince Takes in 20 Million at Midnight Showings, Beats Dark Knight Update: Now 22 Million

HBP Film
July 15, 2009, 11:44 AM

Well those sold-out showings at midnight certainly proved popular: Variety is reporting that Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince was a huge hit, "taking in as much as $20 million when opening at 12:01 a.m. Wedneday at the domestic B.O., according to early estimates.That figure beats the $18 million earned in midnight runs by Warners’ very own “The Dark Knight” and the $17 million earned by 20th Century Fox’s “Star Wars: Episode III —Revenge of the Sith.” UPDATE: The AP reports WB has announced the actual total is 22.2 Million. Wow!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

24228_1103077232653_1698411023_197597_4108202_n_thumb

I knew it would do great last night. It sold out everywhere. It was so much fun going and knowing you were there with real die hard Harry Potter fans. I loved it.

Posted by WoodersonGal *ROAR* on July 15, 2009, 12:43 PM report to moderator
London_028_thumb

WB were totally right to delay the movie!

Posted by Cian on July 15, 2009, 12:50 PM report to moderator

wish i could’ve seen it at midnight!! oh well only 3 hrs to wait

Posted by phantomles on July 15, 2009, 12:52 PM report to moderator

WOOO HOOOO!!!! GO HBP!!!

Posted by ljgljhghb on July 15, 2009, 12:57 PM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

Well deserved! HBP was the best out of them all in my opinion. Funny, sad, dark. Wow. Just wow. Loved it. I think it deserves to beat TDK. But idk, just my opinion :)

Posted by Christine on July 15, 2009, 01:05 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Well done indeed… I cannot wait to see the weekend figures on Monday…

Posted by Won_Two on July 15, 2009, 01:06 PM report to moderator
Normal_hp_actors_thumb

I’m going to try and see it again tomorrow. I saw it twice last night and won’t have time today because of work. That’s the only reason I’m waiting to tomorrow.

Posted by CandyCane2304 on July 15, 2009, 01:10 PM report to moderator
48413_in_l_thumb

Omg awesome! But not at all surprising – the midnight showing I went to was INSANELY busy!

Posted by emmalinnankivi on July 15, 2009, 01:11 PM report to moderator
Ravenqueen_thumb

That’s amazing!! Go Harry! I can’t wait to see this movie!! I wish I could have gone to a midnight showing!

Posted by raven_puff on July 15, 2009, 01:15 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_lp9f45jqbm1r0sjoeo1_500_large_thumb

woooh we won, waited in line for 4 hours, sooo worth it!

Posted by aval on July 15, 2009, 01:19 PM report to moderator
Safe_image_thumb

I must say i am really happy to hear that.. not much surprise becuase is Harry Potter we talking about here. anyhow I cant wait to see it!! I am extremely excited……

Posted by Picazo on July 15, 2009, 01:21 PM report to moderator
Wales_flag_large_1__thumb

That’s quite a stimulas package for theatre owners. Good show! Add to that the $4.5 trillion in popcorn sales (my own muggle-on-the-street estimate) and it adds up to one fab night of movie magic.

Posted by Rhys ap Tudor on July 15, 2009, 01:26 PM report to moderator
268141_10150258426464313_156794164312_6914503_4625251_n_thumb

Go Harry!!!!

Posted by Hermione_Granger1987 on July 15, 2009, 01:27 PM report to moderator
Avatarrockthesoul057

Woot, go Harry Potter!

Posted by Britski on July 15, 2009, 01:30 PM report to moderator
Emma_3_thumb

The movie was amazing! I’m really glad it is doing so well.

Posted by Blace_07 on July 15, 2009, 01:35 PM report to moderator

"Fascinating creatures, phoenixes. They can carry immensely heavy loads, their tears have healing powers, and they make highly [i]faithful[/i] pets."