Variety: Half-Blood Prince Takes in 20 Million at Midnight Showings, Beats Dark Knight Update: Now 22 Million

HBP Film
July 15, 2009, 11:44 AM

Well those sold-out showings at midnight certainly proved popular: Variety is reporting that Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince was a huge hit, "taking in as much as $20 million when opening at 12:01 a.m. Wedneday at the domestic B.O., according to early estimates.That figure beats the $18 million earned in midnight runs by Warners’ very own “The Dark Knight” and the $17 million earned by 20th Century Fox’s “Star Wars: Episode III —Revenge of the Sith.” UPDATE: The AP reports WB has announced the actual total is 22.2 Million. Wow!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

Thats great, the theatre I went to was packed and has already sold out all showings from 5pm to 10:40 today and 3 more tomorrow. I had to sit pretty much in the front because I wasnt able to get there before 11 but it was worth it.

Posted by ender650 on July 15, 2009, 12:14 PM report to moderator
4pchrmb_thumb

It beat Star Wars? Really??

Posted by lupinwandcaster on July 15, 2009, 12:14 PM report to moderator
Iconavmeg_thumb

Wow! That’s crazy! I’m really glad though, HP is huge! :)

Posted by Cheimonas on July 15, 2009, 12:19 PM report to moderator
Muahaha_thumb

Woah…I am literally stunned. :O

Posted by ScottMan on July 15, 2009, 12:24 PM report to moderator
Hp7_thumb

Well I know it got $10 from me and it was worth it even without Dumbledore’s funeral.

Posted by EJohnson1988 on July 15, 2009, 12:25 PM report to moderator

Congrats HBP!
Top movie for the rest of the year!

Posted by You Know Stew [ROAR!] on July 15, 2009, 12:32 PM report to moderator

I am stunned actually…..

Posted by You Know Stew [ROAR!] on July 15, 2009, 12:32 PM report to moderator
D474f2f9722352f367d45028747f7d7d_1562290_thumb

thats aweeeesome! kick ass potty!!

Well, they got my $10, I dressed up, waited 3 hours, it was awesome. I felt sorry for the theatre staff though, they were pretty cranky by the end of it.

Posted by hufflepuff_86 [OTC] on July 15, 2009, 12:34 PM report to moderator
Avvie_thumb

Wow… that’s amazing!

Posted by ❤MischiefManaged★☆ROAR☆★ on July 15, 2009, 12:34 PM report to moderator

I am now sort of glad I have to wait till December, since there no theater hear in my area.

Posted by mrscole on July 15, 2009, 12:34 PM report to moderator
Epjpegutil31_thumb

That is wonderful! I hope it grosses the all time high when the run is over. I can hardly wait to see it. The reviews sound awesome!

Posted by Fresca ROAR on July 15, 2009, 12:34 PM report to moderator
Rat_ava_2_thumb

WOOO-HOOO!! Go Harry!! =D

Posted by axlgirl [FTC!] on July 15, 2009, 12:39 PM report to moderator

HBP was a wonderful work of fanfiction. I am seriously lamenting the loss of the “flightly temptress, adventure”, “I am not worried…I am with you” and the “I am not a coward” lines among other things. Still, I hope that HBP kicks box office records down.

Posted by Noble Birth Descending on July 15, 2009, 12:42 PM report to moderator
Moonycompliments_thumb

Wow, this is impressive~ and it definitely deserves it, it’s such an amazing movie! Makes me happy to see it getting so much recognition already!

Posted by Inai on July 15, 2009, 12:42 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"Really, what has got into you all today?" said Professor McGonagall, turning back into herself with a faint [i]pop[/i], staring around at them all. "Not that it matters, but that's the first time my transformation's not got applause from a class."