WB Set to Cross One Billion Mark as Half-Blood Prince Opens with 3,000 Midnight Showings

HBP Film
July 14, 2009, 10:59 PM

The exceptional popularity and box office draw of the Harry Potter films is never more evident tonight than in a new article from Screen Daily which states that "Warner Bros is on the cusp of crossing the $1billion domestic milestone as it launches Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince around the globe."  The piece continues to say that Half-Blood Prince "was set to open in approximately 3,000 midnight screenings across North America on Wednesday. By the end of the weekend it will have launched in roughly 4,300 theatres. The film is expected to dominate the box office for several weeks and conservative estimates have forecast a five-day weekend in the $140m region."

Even more eye opening is the following:

"To date every episode in the highly profitable series has taken more than $249.5m domestically, with Sorcerer’s Stone setting the high-water mark of $317.6m by the end of its run in February 2002.

Overseas, each film in the franchise has consistently scored more than $546m and a soaring international run would appear to be on the cards yet again as Warner Bros Pictures International aims to join its domestic counterpart in the $1bn club. Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix set the overseas record of $646.2m two years ago.

The film debuts in the UK, Japan, Australia, France, South Korea, Spain, Italy and Brazil on Wednesday as a prelude to the company’s biggest day-and-date conventional and IMAX release yet. By the end of the first weekend it will have opened in more than 14,000 screens in 54 markets including all the majors, accounting for roughly 85% of total markets."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

1111_thumb

In my place film comes in theaters on 23rd, and I am so sad I won’t be able to watch it the same day it is out, I mean today!!!! :(((((((((

Posted by Rinnnna on July 15, 2009, 06:55 AM report to moderator
Harry_potter_pic_thumb

I’m happy that Warner Brothers was in charge of the movie, because think of what it would be like if another company was in charge? I

Posted by monicahp2009(WBM) on July 15, 2009, 06:56 AM report to moderator
Th_names_thumb

Nice! Too bad I was turned away from my midnight showing because they oversold the tickets (I purchased tickets in advance on Fandango). I had tickets for the midnight showing and was told to come back at 3:20 if I wanted to sit with my boyfriend (who went with me).

Did this happen to anyone else? There were assigned theatre numbers on our tickets, but they just tried to shove people in to fill up the theatres one at a time.

So, I still haven’t seen the movie… and might have to wait a few days to use up my voucher and actually see it.

Posted by Ginevra86 on July 15, 2009, 07:38 AM report to moderator
P1000452__3__thumb

That’s lot of popcorn!

Posted by LulaL on July 15, 2009, 07:42 AM report to moderator
Ronhermione_thumb

wow lol!!!

Safe_image_thumb

WOW WB.. congratzzzzz i cant wait to go see it. i was going to go last nite for the mid nite but it was sold out everywhere the only open spot was at 3:10am and i had to work at 8am so i count go but i am excitedddddd

Posted by Picazo on July 15, 2009, 08:33 AM report to moderator
Dscf0369_thumb

I’m going tonight, so I guess I’m doing my bit for WB profits!

Posted by Minerva McGonagall on July 15, 2009, 08:43 AM report to moderator
Egg_thumb

saw it! the HP phenonmenon is AMAZING!

Posted by harrietPotter on July 15, 2009, 08:48 AM report to moderator
Image_thumb

Haven’t seen it yet, I’m worried about people’s comments about Kloves, I don’t like him either. But I could forgive him if he DIDN’T give anymore of Ron’s lines to Hermione…did he? :/

Posted by Kamidee {ROAR!} [TZS] on July 15, 2009, 09:13 AM report to moderator

i think they are well on there way at my theather they had showings sold out through 12 16. I was lucky to get a 12 15 showing

Posted by no1hpfan on July 15, 2009, 09:25 AM report to moderator
Araneus_diadematus_thumb

I’m not sure when I will go… I want to go as soon as possible, but do want to avoid the crush… I’ve waited 2 years, what’s a few more days (torture, is what!)

Posted by Caracticus on July 15, 2009, 09:38 AM report to moderator
Normal_hp_actors_thumb

Saw it twice last night and loved it.

Posted by CandyCane2304 on July 15, 2009, 09:42 AM report to moderator

There’s a great review on MSN today. The writer, James Rocchi, says that HBP
“…isn’t great family entertainment — it’s great entertainment, period, a blockbuster with true heart and real humanity”.

I don’t normally read reviews, but this one is fantastic!!

Posted by jeannemclROAR on July 15, 2009, 09:45 AM report to moderator
Hp_buddyicons_portrait_dobby_48x48

Went to the midnight showing and plan on going again this weekend!!! :0)

Posted by get1nexttime on July 15, 2009, 10:01 AM report to moderator

Saw the movie today and have to say WB doesn’t deserve that one billion mark! VERY disappointed with the movie :(

Posted by xxKrisxx on July 15, 2009, 10:11 AM report to moderator

...they heard Sirius tramping past their door towards Buckbeak's room, singing "God Rest Ye, Merry Hippogriffs" at the top of his voice.