WB Set to Cross One Billion Mark as Half-Blood Prince Opens with 3,000 Midnight Showings

HBP Film
July 14, 2009, 10:59 PM

The exceptional popularity and box office draw of the Harry Potter films is never more evident tonight than in a new article from Screen Daily which states that "Warner Bros is on the cusp of crossing the $1billion domestic milestone as it launches Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince around the globe."  The piece continues to say that Half-Blood Prince "was set to open in approximately 3,000 midnight screenings across North America on Wednesday. By the end of the weekend it will have launched in roughly 4,300 theatres. The film is expected to dominate the box office for several weeks and conservative estimates have forecast a five-day weekend in the $140m region."

Even more eye opening is the following:

"To date every episode in the highly profitable series has taken more than $249.5m domestically, with Sorcerer’s Stone setting the high-water mark of $317.6m by the end of its run in February 2002.

Overseas, each film in the franchise has consistently scored more than $546m and a soaring international run would appear to be on the cards yet again as Warner Bros Pictures International aims to join its domestic counterpart in the $1bn club. Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix set the overseas record of $646.2m two years ago.

The film debuts in the UK, Japan, Australia, France, South Korea, Spain, Italy and Brazil on Wednesday as a prelude to the company’s biggest day-and-date conventional and IMAX release yet. By the end of the first weekend it will have opened in more than 14,000 screens in 54 markets including all the majors, accounting for roughly 85% of total markets."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

Lily_evans_and_severus_snape_by_aura3107_thumb

I believe that the prediction of one billion people going to see HP this morning is more than achievable…. there were tons of people out tonight…. many dressed up and ready to have fun:) Loved the movie!! Loved it…. loved it… loved it!!! Going again:)

Posted by JessSnape on July 15, 2009, 04:09 AM report to moderator
Harry-and-ginny-hugging-half-blood-prince-harry-potter-actors-1550738-400-371_thumb

I just got back too. I thought it was great even though it will never be as good as the book but that would require a 5 hour movie….now i can’t wait until deathy hallows i hope there will be less parts taken out.

Posted by Ready for some quidditch on July 15, 2009, 04:11 AM report to moderator

I just got home from seeing it. I Loved it. I can’t wait to see it on IMAX.

Posted by angelvoice on July 15, 2009, 04:39 AM report to moderator
Me_thumb

I just got back from the midnight showing, and am going again Sunday.

Posted by FosDoNuT on July 15, 2009, 04:42 AM report to moderator
Casey_close_up_thumb

Well, it will never be as good as the book, no movie ever is, but this one was awesome. The best one yet, and yes I will be seeing it again, probably two or three more times at leasts.

Posted by JKMcGonagall on July 15, 2009, 04:45 AM report to moderator
1027635_thumb

I can’t believe people actually liked this film. It just boggles my mind.

Posted by Healey on July 15, 2009, 05:33 AM report to moderator
2vbx3b5_thumb

I just got back too! It was packed. The theatre I went to showed it on five screens and they were all completely sold out. Personally I loved this one and I think its one of if not the best yet. Obviously there were still a lot of things I disliked about it like the way there was no funeral so to me it sort of minimized the importance of Dumbledore’s death, but I felt the same way about Sirius’s death in OOTP. As a book fan there are always going to be plenty of things like that I don’t like, but the book is the book and the movie is the movie. Its not the same. I really tried this time around to truly keep that in mind while watching it and I was able to enjoy it so much more instead of analyzing every single change, flaw, addition, ect like I did with OOTP. That said it was a fantastic film and I plan to see it at least two or three more times once the IMAX 3D version is released. I still dislike WB because of the delay, but I really really hope HBP has record breaking sales and is at least the top grossing film in 2009 so we can show all the haters/critics/media that we’re not and never will be bored with HP and our fandom isn’t dead yet. I just really would like to see us completely prove wrong all of the bad press over last 2 years questioning if “potter has lost its magic” and saying that its popularity has faded away.

Posted by bella vita on July 15, 2009, 05:52 AM report to moderator

I thought the movie was great! There were some scenes that were cut out that kinda disappointed me, but I know they can’t put all of the scenes in!! If you don’t like the movie then fine, you still have the books! I understand that people want the movies to be just like the books but that is not going to happen!! I personally would like a movie that is different than the book, because then we get more scenes that we don’t have in the books which basically gives us more content! And if a movie doesn’t have scenes from the book, it doesn’t mean those scenes are gone!! We just don’t see them in the movie! They are still in the book for us to read!! It is not like the books are just going to vanish and all we are left with are the movies!! I have personally liked all of the movies!! But hey, it is your opinion! I am just stating mine!!

Spoilers

There was a scene from Deathly Hallows when Snape and Dumbledore where talking on the astronomy tower about how Snape didn’t know if he wanted to do it anymore! If you have read the books you will know what I mean!! that was really the biggest problem for me! They gave too much about Snape away, but they also covered it up by Harry thinking Snape lied to Dumbledore the whole time which probably made people who didn’t read the books think that too!

Posted by hpfreak1129 on July 15, 2009, 05:56 AM report to moderator

“Imperial Biografen” in Copenhagen (1102 seats) are currently 89% sold out for the 5 friday screenings, the first showing at 1AM. the 6.30PM screening have only 15 sets available. If all screenings are sold out that would be approximately 5510×100,- = 551000,-DKK (72.778,67EURO, 62.295,08£ or 100.930,54$) on one day in just one theatre :-O oh my!

Posted by clauslr on July 15, 2009, 06:05 AM report to moderator
Burtondeppavvie_thumb

Haha anyone still boycotting because they moved the film date from last Autumn? I doubt it lol :P I’m seeing it on Friday :D :D

Posted by Linnyish on July 15, 2009, 06:07 AM report to moderator

Just went to the half blood prince and am very sad to say I did not enjoy it one bit. I feel it let Harry Potter down as it did not go with the story at all

Posted by capman5555 on July 15, 2009, 06:16 AM report to moderator
Toby_metal_thumb

going to the matinee at noon, its a tradition. no funeral huh? I’ll be ranting later today…

Posted by splinch on July 15, 2009, 06:28 AM report to moderator
Photo_on_2012-04-19_at_18

It was amazing!!!!!!!!! I won’t be suprized if they achesve their goal of a one billion dollers :)

Posted by Sarah Artemisia on July 15, 2009, 06:36 AM report to moderator
Andysnowhead2002b1_thumb

I will be going a couple times.

Posted by Mugglejeff on July 15, 2009, 06:43 AM report to moderator

The Half- Blood Prince is out today!!!! YAY!

Posted by Robbie Rowe on July 15, 2009, 06:52 AM report to moderator

"Now, Harry," said Lockhart. "When Draco points his wand at you, you do [i]this."[/i][br]He raised his own wand, attempted a complicated sort of wiggling action, and dropped it. Snape smirked as Lockhart quickly picked it up, saying, "Whoops -- my wand is

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014