WB Set to Cross One Billion Mark as Half-Blood Prince Opens with 3,000 Midnight Showings

HBP Film
July 14, 2009, 10:59 PM

The exceptional popularity and box office draw of the Harry Potter films is never more evident tonight than in a new article from Screen Daily which states that "Warner Bros is on the cusp of crossing the $1billion domestic milestone as it launches Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince around the globe."  The piece continues to say that Half-Blood Prince "was set to open in approximately 3,000 midnight screenings across North America on Wednesday. By the end of the weekend it will have launched in roughly 4,300 theatres. The film is expected to dominate the box office for several weeks and conservative estimates have forecast a five-day weekend in the $140m region."

Even more eye opening is the following:

"To date every episode in the highly profitable series has taken more than $249.5m domestically, with Sorcerer’s Stone setting the high-water mark of $317.6m by the end of its run in February 2002.

Overseas, each film in the franchise has consistently scored more than $546m and a soaring international run would appear to be on the cards yet again as Warner Bros Pictures International aims to join its domestic counterpart in the $1bn club. Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix set the overseas record of $646.2m two years ago.

The film debuts in the UK, Japan, Australia, France, South Korea, Spain, Italy and Brazil on Wednesday as a prelude to the company’s biggest day-and-date conventional and IMAX release yet. By the end of the first weekend it will have opened in more than 14,000 screens in 54 markets including all the majors, accounting for roughly 85% of total markets."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

Ootp-wallpaper-harry-potter-121085_1024_768_thumb

Count me in to help!

Posted by Irving on July 15, 2009, 02:40 AM report to moderator
I_thought_about_flying____by_siriuslyec_thumb

So I just came back from the midnight showing of HBP, earlier than I expected, and I’m in complete shock. 50 minutes into the midnight premiere of Half-Blood Prince, the picture turns upside down and the characters start speaking backwards. They completely shut off the film and tell us it may take up to a half hour to fix. 45 minutes go by, they finally say something, only to tell us it may take up to another hour, so we have to leave and get a raincheck. I can’t believe this really happened.

Posted by PaintTheSky on July 15, 2009, 03:12 AM report to moderator
Downsized_0124001234a_thumb

YES! I will definitely be contributing to that billion dollar mark!

That movie was fantastic!

Posted by Olivia Elaine a.k.a Agent Pomplamoose on July 15, 2009, 03:18 AM report to moderator
Image_thumb

Actually sold out at most cinemas where I live. And as much as I love to watch it on the day it comes out, I am far to busy to do so.

No comment on WB. I don’t think they need my help.

Posted by Kamidee {ROAR!} [TZS] on July 15, 2009, 03:22 AM report to moderator
108_thumb

I know they made changes, but I don’t mind so much. It was an awesome experience tonight. Our theaters were packed too. All but one was full.

Posted by Melinae ♥Squee♥/Professor Truffle on July 15, 2009, 03:32 AM report to moderator
108_thumb

Avatars_house2_03_thumb

Just got back from the midnight show want to go again this weekend lol.

Posted by Gryffindorprincess09 on July 15, 2009, 03:34 AM report to moderator
100_11651_thumb

I did my part by going to the Midnight Showing. When I got my 2 tickets the Movie person said there were 1004 people at my OP, Fl movie theather and still counting.

Posted by meese49 on July 15, 2009, 03:53 AM report to moderator
Untitled_thumb

It was totally packed when i was there. Luckily I bought my tickets online so I didnt have to wait. Lucky coz the line right out into the food court, which is saying something coz the foyer at the cinemas where im at is MASSIVE! But im making a complaint to the cinemas because when i watched it for some reason a whole part was skipped and it turned up somewhere in the end and i was VERY confused. But if that is what was meant to happen im totally freaking out coz any major fan or even any regular dumass could see that it was not as it should have been! Anywayz im going again 2moz and if it happens again and then it happens AGAIN on the DVD ill be very dissappointed…Otherwise I think it was a great film. Yeah the book was better but I think that is as close as any film will get to being as good as the book

Posted by Lil Brite Spark on July 15, 2009, 03:56 AM report to moderator
Dhonesheet_thumb

I just saw the movie and it was AWESOME!!!!! So I can definitely believe that! I’m so excited!! I can’t wait to see it AGAIN tomorrow!!

Posted by cghambright on July 15, 2009, 03:57 AM report to moderator
Wig4_thumb

cool

Posted by Fleur-de- Lily on July 15, 2009, 03:58 AM report to moderator
Dhonesheet_thumb

There were 2500 people at the midnight showing I went to. It was PACKED. The line was out the door! It was sooo much fun!! HP fans are the BEST!!

Posted by cghambright on July 15, 2009, 03:58 AM report to moderator
Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

it was an awesome movie….well for the movie series anyway, which is different from the amazing books of corse!!

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on July 15, 2009, 03:59 AM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

Just watched it… SO. EFFING. AMAZING! I loved it. Words can’t describe … omg… wow.

Posted by Christine on July 15, 2009, 04:00 AM report to moderator
Andosiadollface_thumb

Just saw it. I walked out less than half way through. I just don’t care for Kloves writing. I try to, but time after time I find I really dislike his versions of characters, and the way he reuses lines from the books, but gives them to different people, plus how he changes entire moods and emotions but uses exact book scenes, and etc. I don’t expect these movies to be identical to the books, not even close, I don’t want them to be, but Kloves version is always a serious disappointment to me. Plus the beginning felt… awkward, stiff, like it was being read from cards. Another failure, in my small opinion. I’m sure once it’s on DVD I’ll buy it, like all the others, and watch it, and grow used to it, but never enjoy it… like all the ones before. I’m ashamed at the amount of people I took with me to see this disaster. I was so hoping to like this one.

Posted by Andosia on July 15, 2009, 04:01 AM report to moderator

"I'VE BEEN STUCK AT THE DURSLEYS' FOR A MONTH! AND I'VE HANDLED MORE THAN YOU TWO'VE EVER MANAGED AND DUMBLEDORE KNOWS IT -- WHO SAVED THE SORCERER'S STONE? WHO GOT RID OF RIDDLE? WHO SAVED BOTH YOUR NECKS FROM THE DEMENTORS?"