David Heyman on Possible Return of John Williams to Score Deathly Hallows Films

DH Film
July 14, 2009, 03:09 AM

Harry Potter producer David Heyman was in Los Angeles last night for an event held at an Apple store where he took some questions from fans. Reader Richard asked the producer about legendary John Williams and a possible return to score Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. David Heyman confirmed they have indeed talked to Mr. Williams about his return to writing the music for the series, noting " If we can make work , and that's a big if, for his schedule and ours then yes." You can hear the audio of the entire question and answer here via youtube and the transcript of this question is as follows:

RA (Richard Alexander)
DH (David Heyman)
RA: Hi, First I want to say thank you for your amazing work.
DH: Thank You.
RA: In a recent interview John Williams said that he would love to come back and bring his musical storytelling "full circle". Will he come back for Deathly Hallows?
DH: The question is will John Williams come back? I'm a huge fan of John Williams he did three of the scores and I think he is amazing. He came up with some of the themes that have carried on. We have talked to John Williams and a lot of it will depend on his schedule for [Harry Potter] seven part two. If we can make work , and that's a big if, for his schedule and ours then yes.
RA: Great, thanks.

Thanks so much Richard!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Photo_24_thumb

I wasn’t a huge fan of Williams’ first two scores: I found them a bit pedestrian and reminiscent of his earlier work. (Apart from Hedwig’s theme, which I’ve always liked.) JW really ramped up his game for POA, though. I really liked that score; I attributed his much-improved performance to the much needed stylistic shot of adrenaline given by the arrival of Alfonso Curaon – which I know isn’t a universally held opinion. I really enjoyed his playful flirtation with chamber music and quirkier orchestrations than the stately and often rather boring scores from SS and COS.

I will welcome JW’s return if he’s as inspired in his choices as he was for his POA score.

Posted by LupinAscending [WBM] on July 14, 2009, 05:24 PM report to moderator

This would be amazing to end with the same composer that began the theme!

Posted by Katie_:) on July 14, 2009, 05:41 PM report to moderator

That would be awesome! He’s the best.

Posted by badger666 on July 14, 2009, 06:05 PM report to moderator
Kit_thumb

Deep in my heart is the fervent hope that John Williams will be back for the final films. There’s something about his melodies that just touch me. I love his music.

Posted by Fereverto on July 14, 2009, 06:20 PM report to moderator
Cadoyp57_thumb

omg I hope he comes back!!! He’s my favorite composer!

Posted by PigmyPuffPie on July 15, 2009, 12:45 AM report to moderator
Rupes_maggie_thumb

i hope that’s true

Posted by hermyone*ROAR* on July 25, 2009, 09:24 PM report to moderator
Av-1872_thumb

I hope it works out. Williams’ best work (and Prisoner of Azkaban was an example) is rich and on target in a way that is rarely approached these days. He has a remarkable ability to focus in like a laser on the core feeling of a scene while at the same time encompassing the surrounding context. His music is accessible and immediate, while also being complex enough to reward repeated listening. He has shown that he can bring the spirit of the books to life with grandeur, rich atmosphere, and an exacting, layered precision of expression that is unique. Williams is a truly great composer, and not only the films but the world will be the poorer for it if he does not do any more HP scores.

Posted by AcanthusBillows on July 28, 2009, 11:26 PM report to moderator
Buddy_icon_3103_normal_normal_normal_normal_thumb

WISH HE WAS COMPOSING :(

Posted by LoveTomRiddle [ROAR] on January 20, 2010, 03:27 PM report to moderator
Buddy_icon_3103_normal_normal_normal_normal_thumb

WISH HE WAS COMPOSING :(

"There are all kinds of courage," said Dumbledore, smiling. "It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends. I therefore award ten points to Mr. Neville Longbottom."

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014