David Heyman on Possible Return of John Williams to Score Deathly Hallows Films

DH Film
July 14, 2009, 03:09 AM

Harry Potter producer David Heyman was in Los Angeles last night for an event held at an Apple store where he took some questions from fans. Reader Richard asked the producer about legendary John Williams and a possible return to score Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. David Heyman confirmed they have indeed talked to Mr. Williams about his return to writing the music for the series, noting " If we can make work , and that's a big if, for his schedule and ours then yes." You can hear the audio of the entire question and answer here via youtube and the transcript of this question is as follows:

RA (Richard Alexander)
DH (David Heyman)
RA: Hi, First I want to say thank you for your amazing work.
DH: Thank You.
RA: In a recent interview John Williams said that he would love to come back and bring his musical storytelling "full circle". Will he come back for Deathly Hallows?
DH: The question is will John Williams come back? I'm a huge fan of John Williams he did three of the scores and I think he is amazing. He came up with some of the themes that have carried on. We have talked to John Williams and a lot of it will depend on his schedule for [Harry Potter] seven part two. If we can make work , and that's a big if, for his schedule and ours then yes.
RA: Great, thanks.

Thanks so much Richard!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Ronhermione_thumb

I grew up on Williams’ scores, but I feel that in the past 5-10 years he’s dropped off his game. The Phantom Menace was his last great score, IMO. The score for Indiana Jones IV was particularly bad. The other day I watched HP1 and was amazed how heavy-handed the music is, but that’s also a function of Chris Columbus’ directing.

While the individual pieces of Hooper’s score for Phoenix (haven’t seen HBP yet) are good, my problem with his work is the lack of thematic coherence. Other than Umbridge, nobody gets anything resembling a real theme, and even hers only appears twice. The music doesn’t seem to have any connection to the characters. Williams also started doing this in later years, he wrote music more for scenes – the music for PoA is incredible, but it still feels mostly like a bunch of disconnected pieces rather than a whole.

That’s why I like Doyle’s score for Goblet of Fire best. The themes he wrote for Harry and Voldemort were magnificent, and the whole score used leitmotif that resounded and gave the thing a feeling of completeness. The way he played the H and V themes against each other in ‘Voldemort’ is brilliant, and my favorite piece of music in the whole series. Whoever composes the last films, I’d like to see a return of those themes to the series.

Although, with 3 different composers (4 if you count William Ross) having worked on the series already, lack of continuity is something we’re just going to have to live with.

Posted by DanMcD674 on July 14, 2009, 01:20 PM report to moderator
4pchrmb_thumb

JOHN WILLIAMS FTW.

Posted by lupinwandcaster on July 14, 2009, 01:22 PM report to moderator
Carrascoavatar_thumb

Oh man, i hope this works out! As much as I loved Patrick Doyle’s and Nicholas Hooper’s scores, the classic Harry Potter themes that John Williams created need to be brought back and reworked for Deathly Hallows. He has such a talent for creating these epic pieces of music that really tell a story so it would be a fitting for him to come back and end the series in a grand, epic way.

Posted by hpbruin on July 14, 2009, 01:37 PM report to moderator
250px-youre-a-wizard

I’m sure if John Williams will comeback for the Final HP films, We will hear
another unforgettable kind of Music Score… same as Hedwig’s Theme and themes for other movies such E.T., Jurassic Park, Schindler’s Lists, SuperMan theme, StarWars and many more. Each of these movies, we all know that haven’t the same melody, hymn or tune,, They all different but created from the same person.

JW comeback is a great honor and achievement to the Harry Potter series.

Posted by EnricoDc on July 14, 2009, 02:19 PM report to moderator
Bronwyn_almost_4_months_thumb

I really hope this works out. I love all of the soundtracks; however, John Williams’ have a certain continutity and flow that are unmatched. Not only would it be fabulous to bookend the series with the same composer, but it would also be a nice tribute to Hedwig to have her theme appear once more.

Hooper also does a good job evoking an overall feeling.

Doyle’s I can picture each piece of the movie that corresponds to the music.

Posted by Xyra44 on July 14, 2009, 02:24 PM report to moderator
250px-youre-a-wizard

Oh, i forgot to mention John Williams great compositions for the Harry Potter films, from the opening scene until the flight of the Firebolt. All was indeed Great!
Since When i first watched the HP5, i wish even on my dreams that John Williams will be back.

Especially for the Deathly Hallows, that we all know is having the saddest and most intense scenes in the whole series,

Everytime i hear the Schindler’s List theme for example, i really felt the sadness, the persecution and pain on which the movie is all about.

I wish John Williams will comeback to create another theme, just like what he did for the other Unforgettable Great movies like Schindler’s List.

Posted by EnricoDc on July 14, 2009, 02:36 PM report to moderator
Dscn0194_thumb
1921 Points

really want John Williams to come back for DH; if not him, then Patrick Doyle (loved his GoF), but definitely NOT Hooper. His work is bland and for the most part boring. Williams would do a wonderful job for such a sweeping, dramatic, and emotional final 2 films.

Posted by izziewitch on July 14, 2009, 02:53 PM report to moderator
Icondude_thumb

I get really tired of “John Williams’ music all sounds the same!” No, it doesn’t. His ACTION music sounds very similar, true, but you cannot honestly argue that a track like “Secrets of the Castle” or “Saving Buckbeak” sounds anything like Star Wars or Indiana Jones. No way.

These arguments come from people who only recognize scores in passing, I’m guessing. I listen to scores from all sorts of movies all the time, and you can definitely hear Williams switch styles from film to film, though of course there are films in which he is just recycling old material. The first to HP films are nothing new from him, but PoA is one of his best.

The argument that “the best scores are the ones you don’t notice” is so stupid. How can you like something if you don’t even remember it? You’re SUPPOSED to notice the music….

Posted by starlesswinter on July 14, 2009, 02:57 PM report to moderator
Icondude_thumb

…“the first TWO films”, I meant to say.

Posted by starlesswinter on July 14, 2009, 02:58 PM report to moderator
Dsc08588_thumb

Ooooh, fingers crossed!

Posted by Jade Danielle (WBM) on July 14, 2009, 03:24 PM report to moderator

As classic and distinctive as Hedwig’s Theme is I prefer the soundtrack of Order of the Phoenix to that of the early films.

Posted by hereward on July 14, 2009, 03:29 PM report to moderator
Picture_057_thumb

hooper has clearly improved for hbp, but how can you say no to john williams? he’s the best.

Posted by abandonedboyjon on July 14, 2009, 03:53 PM report to moderator
Icondude_thumb

Hooper doesn’t know how to fill out an orchestra. Much like Michael Giacchino, his supposed-to-be “epic” sounds are never as full as they should be.

Posted by starlesswinter on July 14, 2009, 04:03 PM report to moderator

Am I the only one that noticed Heyman said DH: Part Two? Hooper already signed for part one? Or someone else.

Personally, I like Hooper’s scores better. I love the SS and CoS scores, PoA has its moments, but I think Williams’ stuff all starts to sound the same after a while. the HBP score is absolutely brilliant. Much, much better than OOTP’s.

Posted by RumourBuster3000 on July 14, 2009, 05:20 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"I mean, nobody wishes more than I do that it had all been quick and clean, and my head had come off properly, I mean, it would have saved me a great deal of pain and ridicule."