David Heyman on Possible Return of John Williams to Score Deathly Hallows Films

DH Film
July 14, 2009, 03:09 AM

Harry Potter producer David Heyman was in Los Angeles last night for an event held at an Apple store where he took some questions from fans. Reader Richard asked the producer about legendary John Williams and a possible return to score Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. David Heyman confirmed they have indeed talked to Mr. Williams about his return to writing the music for the series, noting " If we can make work , and that's a big if, for his schedule and ours then yes." You can hear the audio of the entire question and answer here via youtube and the transcript of this question is as follows:

RA (Richard Alexander)
DH (David Heyman)
RA: Hi, First I want to say thank you for your amazing work.
DH: Thank You.
RA: In a recent interview John Williams said that he would love to come back and bring his musical storytelling "full circle". Will he come back for Deathly Hallows?
DH: The question is will John Williams come back? I'm a huge fan of John Williams he did three of the scores and I think he is amazing. He came up with some of the themes that have carried on. We have talked to John Williams and a lot of it will depend on his schedule for [Harry Potter] seven part two. If we can make work , and that's a big if, for his schedule and ours then yes.
RA: Great, thanks.

Thanks so much Richard!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Harry_potter_finale_thumb

A friend and I who are eagerly awaiting the movie opening at midnight were just discussing this not 4 hours ago. I was searching the internet to find out if it had been announced who would be doing the score. I think it would be so fitting for John Williams to score it, especially with the big BoH scenes. An epic film needs and epic score and Mr. Williams, IMHO, is the man for the job. : )

Posted by polyjusposhun on July 14, 2009, 06:02 AM report to moderator

hooper is aalrite,,, but if you just listen to a window to the past, playing in the scene with harry and lupin… it just blows you away, one of my fav sound tracks of all times, along with braveheart, titanic. its amazing, and to think what he can do in the part of deathly hallows while harry is walking to the forest…. john williams, was made for that film. my fav composer /

Posted by imy_286 on July 14, 2009, 06:03 AM report to moderator
I-quote_hogwarts0144_thumb

John Williams did a GREAT score and I really hope he finishes the series off.

Posted by BewareoftheNargles {WBM} on July 14, 2009, 06:14 AM report to moderator
Hpmaggie2_copy2_thumb

Oh, I SO hope this is true! I much, MUCH prefer his work to Hooper’s and feel he best captures the moods, themes and personalities of the films, plus he really has the experience to take DH to the epic levels it needs to attain, in all ways. Mr. Heyman, if you’re listening, please, PLEASE make this work out!

Posted by Headmistress LemonFaerie on July 14, 2009, 06:15 AM report to moderator
B9ce557d1547686c_thumb

Perfect! Fingers crossed….

Posted by ErinM {Roar} on July 14, 2009, 06:44 AM report to moderator
Andysnowhead2002b1_thumb

John Williams coming back would be cool!

Posted by Mugglejeff on July 14, 2009, 06:53 AM report to moderator
Resize2_thumb

I would be happy with a Nicholas Hooper/John Williams collaboration for DH Part 2.

Posted by Aurora_7 on July 14, 2009, 07:05 AM report to moderator

That would be cool.

Posted by zoltan42 on July 14, 2009, 07:11 AM report to moderator
Avatar_hp_thumb

WOW! YES PLEASE!

It would be so great if John Williams could come back like it says bring the story complete full-circle!

He is awesome and my favourite music is in the films he has written for.

Buckbeak_thumb

That would be excellent of course.

Posted by Girlraven1 on July 14, 2009, 07:17 AM report to moderator
Normal_fanart100__if_experimental_by_ambientblue_thumb

Please JOIN the group “John Williams:the best choice for Deathly Hallows composer!” on my Leaky,so we can all show WB our love for the Williams score and our desire for him to compose the DH score!

Posted by herpo on July 14, 2009, 07:34 AM report to moderator
2vbx3b5_thumb

Oh god I’ve been hoping John Williams would come back for years now. I’ve felt his presence missing in all of the scores since then especially OOTP which I hated Hooper’s score for. The score for OOTP took away from the film instead of adding to it. I just REALLY hope they can make this happen. Like others said I think it is only fitting that Williams be the one to end the series and would just really bring things full circle. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Make This Work!!!

Posted by bella vita on July 14, 2009, 07:37 AM report to moderator
Mcgonagalldh_thumb

Just gotta weigh-in on this before I head on off to work. I have enjoyed all of the HP soundtracks but John Williams wrote “Hedwig’s Theme”, the most recognizable HP music piece and the one everyone associates with the film franchise. I would be quit pleased if he came back. imy_286: “A Window To The Past” is my favorite piece, too.

Posted by iamminerva on July 14, 2009, 07:49 AM report to moderator

It would be great to have John Williams score the last films since he has done a great job on at least 90% of his previous works. This also might be his last real epic score since he is starting to get old and it will probably be another 5 years before another huge film like this is released (with the exception of Avatar and Hobbit)

Posted by ender650 on July 14, 2009, 07:51 AM report to moderator
Normal_fanart100__if_experimental_by_ambientblue_thumb

A Nicholas Hooper/John Williams collaboration would indeed be something interesting.It would bring two aspects of the Harry Potter movies together.Their collaborative score would bring about memories of Harry Potter as a confused boy learning magic,as well as as a troubled adolescent fighting against injustice and evil….interesting!

Posted by herpo on July 14, 2009, 07:56 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

He cleared his throat, and the emerald eyes seemed to flicker.[br][i]"Open,"[/i] said Harry, in a low, faint hiss.[br]The serpents parted as the wall cracked open, the halves slid smoothly out of sight, and Harry, shaking from head to foot, walked inside.