David Heyman on Possible Return of John Williams to Score Deathly Hallows Films

DH Film
July 14, 2009, 03:09 AM

Harry Potter producer David Heyman was in Los Angeles last night for an event held at an Apple store where he took some questions from fans. Reader Richard asked the producer about legendary John Williams and a possible return to score Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. David Heyman confirmed they have indeed talked to Mr. Williams about his return to writing the music for the series, noting " If we can make work , and that's a big if, for his schedule and ours then yes." You can hear the audio of the entire question and answer here via youtube and the transcript of this question is as follows:

RA (Richard Alexander)
DH (David Heyman)
RA: Hi, First I want to say thank you for your amazing work.
DH: Thank You.
RA: In a recent interview John Williams said that he would love to come back and bring his musical storytelling "full circle". Will he come back for Deathly Hallows?
DH: The question is will John Williams come back? I'm a huge fan of John Williams he did three of the scores and I think he is amazing. He came up with some of the themes that have carried on. We have talked to John Williams and a lot of it will depend on his schedule for [Harry Potter] seven part two. If we can make work , and that's a big if, for his schedule and ours then yes.
RA: Great, thanks.

Thanks so much Richard!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Phelpstwins_thumb

I actually prefer the Hooper’s scores to Williams’— I think they have a lot more personality and suit the darker tone of the films.

Posted by deadtree ♥WBM♥ on July 14, 2009, 03:21 AM report to moderator
Me_thumb

YES PLEASE

Posted by Courtney Quirke on July 14, 2009, 03:28 AM report to moderator
467050_thumb

AWESOME! I love Nicholas Hooper’s scores for Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince, but having John Williams back for the end would just be perfect. I hope it works out!

Posted by pinkmoonlight on July 14, 2009, 03:32 AM report to moderator
Dhc-avatar_thumb

Yes! It’s going to be so epic!

Posted by The Hufflepuff Giraffe on July 14, 2009, 03:38 AM report to moderator

Fantastic!! : ))

Posted by Mairéad on July 14, 2009, 03:39 AM report to moderator
Dhc-avatar_thumb

By the way… http://whatwoulddumbledoredo.org
And re-Tweet http://mashable.com/2009/07/13/dumbledore-twitter/
Let’s celebrate HBP in Dumbledore’s name!

Posted by The Hufflepuff Giraffe on July 14, 2009, 03:40 AM report to moderator
Jordan_thumb

I think John William would be absolutely perfect for the sweeping scale that will no-doubt accompany the eighth film. If you’ve heard some of his more recent scores (including Munich, War of the Worlds and Revenge of the Sith) you’ll know he can do dark, and do it well. I think Prisoner of Azkaban was some of his most outstanding work and I wish he could have stayed on to develop some of the smaller themes introduced in that film. I also like the idea of him musically bookmarking the series.

If they can work it out for him to return, I would be one happy camper.

Posted by Jordan Edwards on July 14, 2009, 03:50 AM report to moderator
Smallpurplead110_thumb

I would greatly love to see John Williams return for the last films. That said I appreciate Hooper’s latest score, but not OotP (all ‘moments’ – no coherent thread) having heard it on Yahoo. His transition from Hedwig’s Theme in ‘Ginny’ is superb and he captures the Weasley’s so well.

But, yes, I love the strong emotional core that runs right through each of the Williams scores for Harry Potter and who can hear Hedwig’s Theme without suddenly going back to the moment you realised that Harry Potter was really going to be on fil.!

Posted by Feliciarickmann on July 14, 2009, 03:55 AM report to moderator
Forbeatlesnspurs-royaltwig-27_thumb

OMG, I was just thinking about this the other day. If he came back for the final two films, it would definitely make my life.

Posted by LauraBC on July 14, 2009, 04:04 AM report to moderator

Amazing that I was thinking about this moments before clicking on the latest news here. It is constantly on my mind, and I hope hope HOPE that Williams gets to do this. If not just compose and conduct the first film as usual, write the second, and perhaps have William Ross adapt it again like he did for Chamber. It really is only fitting that he close the loop that he started by doing the last film(s). While Hooper’s music may have served the two latest films enough, it is clear that action is not his forte, and the score for the exciting story that is Deathly Hallows needs to be just as exciting. Or, I am telling you, it will NOT work.

Posted by scallenger on July 14, 2009, 04:13 AM report to moderator
Hp6_thumb

I WANT JOHN WILLIAMS!

Posted by Martinisthechosenone on July 14, 2009, 04:13 AM report to moderator
Icondude_thumb

Hooper’s scores have very little personality! What are you talking about? Just listen to POA…that score is absolutely teeming with life and attitude.

If this news does indeed come to realization, it will make my year!

Posted by starlesswinter on July 14, 2009, 04:19 AM report to moderator
Images_thumb

I really hope that he comes back.. I liked the HBP score but i don’t how far it will blend with the film… But John Williams is the best

Posted by vandy[FTC] on July 14, 2009, 04:33 AM report to moderator
Image_thumb

I love David Heyman’s comments, he really reassures me that they (exc WB) are dedicated to the movie beyond its monetary value.

Posted by Kamidee {ROAR!} [TZS] on July 14, 2009, 05:47 AM report to moderator
Wig4_thumb

cool

Posted by Fleur-de- Lily on July 14, 2009, 05:53 AM report to moderator

"I'VE BEEN STUCK AT THE DURSLEYS' FOR A MONTH! AND I'VE HANDLED MORE THAN YOU TWO'VE EVER MANAGED AND DUMBLEDORE KNOWS IT -- WHO SAVED THE SORCERER'S STONE? WHO GOT RID OF RIDDLE? WHO SAVED BOTH YOUR NECKS FROM THE DEMENTORS?"