LeakyNews.com

David Heyman on Possible Return of John Williams to Score Deathly Hallows Films

DH Film
July 14, 2009, 03:09 AM

Harry Potter producer David Heyman was in Los Angeles last night for an event held at an Apple store where he took some questions from fans. Reader Richard asked the producer about legendary John Williams and a possible return to score Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. David Heyman confirmed they have indeed talked to Mr. Williams about his return to writing the music for the series, noting " If we can make work , and that's a big if, for his schedule and ours then yes." You can hear the audio of the entire question and answer here via youtube and the transcript of this question is as follows:

RA (Richard Alexander)
DH (David Heyman)
RA: Hi, First I want to say thank you for your amazing work.
DH: Thank You.
RA: In a recent interview John Williams said that he would love to come back and bring his musical storytelling "full circle". Will he come back for Deathly Hallows?
DH: The question is will John Williams come back? I'm a huge fan of John Williams he did three of the scores and I think he is amazing. He came up with some of the themes that have carried on. We have talked to John Williams and a lot of it will depend on his schedule for [Harry Potter] seven part two. If we can make work , and that's a big if, for his schedule and ours then yes.
RA: Great, thanks.

Thanks so much Richard!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent News
Follow @Leaky on Twitter

Picture_327_thumb

It’s funny that nobody has even mentioned Patrick Doyle’s score from GoF! Personally I think the scores for movies 4 and 5 were both well done musically, but just lacked that John Williams flair, and as they didn’t have the same continuity in style as the first 3, they made those 2 movies, in some respect, lose that whole “Harry Potter” feel we got used to in the first films. That being said, John Williams is not only my favorite film composer, but one of my favorite all time composers in general, so I would be esctatic if he returned for the seventh film(s)!

Posted by jazzoboe on July 14, 2009, 08:55 AM report to moderator
Phpyyqy43_c2am_thumb

@jazzoboe, I loved the GOF score and keep it on the rotation of discs in my car all the time! That said, I would love to see John Williams do this score — it was simply meant to be (I saw the prophecy in the Department of Mysteries…heh heh). Hooper did a competent job on OOP, and I am eager to hear more of what he has done for HBP… but JOHN WILLIAMS PLEASE!!!

Posted by weasleywannabe1997 on July 14, 2009, 09:08 AM report to moderator
What_the_hell_is_a_hufflepuff__by_emptymug_thumb

omg if john williams comes back for the last films, i’ll scream of joy! he’s AMAZING! especially in the prisoner of azkaban. WOW! that music is the best!!! i remember asking my dad if he had any music by john williams, cause i absolutely loved what i’d already heard! this would be sooo cool!

Posted by Andrea Black on July 14, 2009, 09:23 AM report to moderator

i hate to admit it, but i guess john williams actually can write decent music. it’s just that all of his scores sound very similar; i feel that it made the films stronger, having different composers… and i personally love doyle’s goblet of fire score… i think it was perfect for that film. (i also think that was the best film, though, so i’m biased.) i have no idea why i’m commenting on an internet story all of a sudden.

Posted by dtown on July 14, 2009, 09:33 AM report to moderator

Bringing John Williams back will be David Heyman’s only potential serious mistake throughout the series (other than Dobby’s non reappearance etc). Williams’ scores are heavy-handed Hollywood at its worst, you feel as though you are being clubbed over the head by the soundtrack and it takes away from the acting, production design, and plot. His use of horns and drums is crude and intrusive, and he is utterly devoid of nuance and sophistication. Hedwig’s theme is brilliant but it is a diamond in the rough. Please, please, please, David Heyman, leave well alone. Hooper is infinitely more sophisticated and nuanced he allows the scenes to breathe, and his use of instrumentation is infinitely better, more imaginative, modern, and wider than Williams’s. And he gets on brilliantly with Yates. Why ruin a perfect fit? Bringing back Williams will also be a needless expense. And he will ruin the King’s Cross scene, which requires the kind of subtlety and sophistication shown by Hooper at the end of HBP, not a bludger-like Williams Hollywoodesque assault.
Don’t ruin DH. Please think again. We want HP not ET.

Posted by rotfang07 on July 14, 2009, 09:48 AM report to moderator

YES! i want John back sooooooooooo bad. Bring Williams back!

Posted by HarryRichardsPotter on July 14, 2009, 09:50 AM report to moderator
The-moose_thumb

I really hope they do bring back John Williams. Personally I didnt like the GoF score at all (although I really like a lot of Patrick Doyle’s scores, some of them like Nanny McPhee are so magical but, I felt the magic just wasnt there in GoF) and I wasnt overly keen on OoTP’s score. I love what John Williams does, I was a fan of his music even before HP which is kind of weird in a way, the Jurassic Park score was the first soundtrack album I ever bought. So, I would disagree that John Williams cant do subtle, in my opinion he can be understating in his music to counterpoint a big dramatic scene. Just my two knuts …
But yeah I would so love for John Williams to come back, it would feel right (to me) to have him score the first and the last HP movies … surely he can clear his schedule for HP?

Posted by Moose_Starr on July 14, 2009, 10:01 AM report to moderator
Mirror_thumb

I’m kind of torn. While I love the John William’s scores, and thinks that he could do really well with these darker movies, I do really love Nicholas Hooper’s scores.
Hooper’s work has been really great, and I remember when I first heard “Room of Requirement” my heart just swelled with happiness, because it was so hopeful.
I guess we’ll have to see.

Posted by sushita on July 14, 2009, 10:02 AM report to moderator
Foto_8_thumb

John Williams is THE ONLY man for this job!

Posted by Lilleby on July 14, 2009, 10:05 AM report to moderator
Hedwig_avatar_thumb

We need music that will live on for DH Part 2 at least, just as it did after PS/SS, beautifully transporting the audience into a magical world. We need John Williams to give us a rousing “triumph over evil” at the end of the film to send us out of the cinema smiling through our tears.

Posted by Graymayne on July 14, 2009, 10:26 AM report to moderator
Capture10_thumb

Awesome. I hope John Williams really does come back.

Posted by Gryffindor1991 {ROAR!!!} on July 14, 2009, 10:34 AM report to moderator
Gaia_1_thumb

I think it would be nice to have John williams back. He created Hedwig’s Theme and it would add another layer to the last HP movie

Posted by JessieRose on July 14, 2009, 10:50 AM report to moderator

PLASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.
bring him back.
if he does.
i think i will…
make WB brownies.

Posted by john-robert. on July 14, 2009, 10:51 AM report to moderator

PLASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.
bring him back.
if he does.
i think i will…
make WB brownies.

Posted by john-robert. on July 14, 2009, 10:51 AM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

I believe nothing – absolutely nothing, with the potential exception of the publication of another book in the Harry Potter saga- could bring as much joy to the fans as seeing John Williams contribute his fantastic talents to the closing acts of this franchise. I hope he does return!

Posted by Kirk on July 14, 2009, 10:59 AM report to moderator
Ready to see Leaky in Color?