Vatican Newspaper Gives Two Thumbs Up for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Film

HBP Film
July 13, 2009, 04:04 PM

L'Osservatore Romano, the official newspaper of the Vatican in Rome, Italy, has given its approval and review of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince film. The AP reports that the newspaper says the film is the best adaptation yet of the novels by author J.K. Rowling, and the sixth Harry Potter film "made the age-old debate over good vs. evil crystal clear."  It also gave two thumbs up to the film's treatment of adolescent love, saying it achieved the "correct balance" and made the stars more credible to the general audience."The article continues:

While criticizing Rowling for omitting any explicit "reference to the transcendent" in her books, L'Osservatore said the latest installment nevertheless makes clear that good should overcome evil "and that sometimes this requires costs and sacrifice." "In addition, the spastic search for immortality epitomized by Voldemort is stigmatized," the review said.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

Upclose_of_me_thumb

Not a surprise about how good the movie is… it is Harry potter after all! :)

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on July 13, 2009, 05:09 PM report to moderator

wait didnt the vatican was against anything harry potter.. what ever i dont care either way

Posted by no1hpfan on July 13, 2009, 05:10 PM report to moderator

I think it is a good thing that the Vatican can see this film and series in a positive light. Along the lines of what Edmundstaustell said, look at what happened to Phillip Pullman when the Vatican wants to bring something down. I too believe he got what he deserved with the His Dark Materials trilogy (even though I must confess I quite enjoyed the first 2 books in the series until I saw what he had been planning the whole time when I got to the 3rd book! I was outraged!).

Posted by Ravenclaw65 {WBM} on July 13, 2009, 05:19 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Who wooda thunk it???

Posted by Won_Two on July 13, 2009, 05:21 PM report to moderator
Wallpaper_ada_wong_02_thumb

Honestly I didn’t know that J.K.Rowling was obliged to speak about the transcendent. That criticism is not valid is like saying the book isn’t good beacuse there are no angels…I am glad though that they finally taking notice that Harry Potter has its merits and its a great book that teaches good values to people from all ages.

Posted by minishiva on July 13, 2009, 05:23 PM report to moderator

ok i was like what, two thumbs up out of 5? but then i realized humans only have two thumbs… _

Posted by Veinic on July 13, 2009, 05:25 PM report to moderator

It’s funny I’m reading a novel right now set in the 1700s wherein a lady is banned for life from the Catholic Church for becoming an actress. How times have changed.

Posted by Mimblewimble13 on July 13, 2009, 05:47 PM report to moderator

For some reason this amused me and brought a smile to my face. lol

Posted by rosalie on July 13, 2009, 05:51 PM report to moderator
Capture10_thumb

Thats cool I surprised they praised Harry Potter. Normally religious people hate Harry Potter. Half of my family hates it.

Posted by Gryffindor1991 {ROAR!!!} on July 13, 2009, 05:54 PM report to moderator
Angrycat_thumb

I am not sure of anyone at the Vatican’s position on Harry Potter before this, but am happy to see that my church sees the good.

Posted by Neesee on July 13, 2009, 06:04 PM report to moderator

That’s not entirely true, Gryffindor1991. I am religious and I love Harry Potter. My mom loves them too. My best friends and their families love Harry Potter and they too are religious. My pastor at my church and his family love them also. The people who are religious and don’t like Harry Potter just don’t understand the story because they haven’t read them.

Posted by Ravenclaw65 {WBM} on July 13, 2009, 06:07 PM report to moderator
Tonks_-_wand_at_the_ready_-_avatar_thumb

I have to tell you, my jaw dropped when I read the headline. Then, after a moment, I had to smile. After all the people who have said HP is evil and tried to get the books banned (without even thinking that maybe they should, I don’t know, actually READ what they are condemning), we finally have a high-level Christian authority giving a good review of a HP film and acknowledging the positive themes that exist in the novels and movies. The times, they are a-changin’. I am a Christian myself, and I have never felt the need to choose between my religion and my favorite book series. I believe many of the themes in HP are very compatible with Christian ideology, and I’m glad that other people are starting to see that as well.

Posted by Ravenclaw Rose on July 13, 2009, 06:08 PM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

Hm. Interesting… I just want the movie. Don’t care what people think now!

Posted by Christine on July 13, 2009, 06:43 PM report to moderator
Lucius_thumb

I don’t see what all the fuss is about. There aren’t any “KILL THE CHURCH” themes like in the Golden Compass, and if someone’s going to say that Harry Potter is Wikan or something and that magic is bad and sacreligious, you will be barring yourself from quite a lot of things in life.

Frankly, who cares what the Vatican thinks about this, but I’m sure that the films demographics will be strengthened: Christians who opposed Harry Potter may ease up a little bit.

Posted by Lucius malfoy7 on July 13, 2009, 06:47 PM report to moderator
Hagrid_thumb

At least the Vatican is looking at the work for what it is, entertainment.

Posted by biiigbob on July 13, 2009, 07:20 PM report to moderator

"But honestly, all this hysteria about giants. They can't [i]all[/i] be horrible... It's the same sort of prejudice that people have toward werewolves... It's just bigotry, isn't it?"