Autism Friendly Showing of Half-Blood Prince due July 25

HBP Film
July 13, 2009, 03:28 PM

The Autism Society of America has announced an autism-friendly event for fans of Harry Potter. Select AMC movie theaters across the US will be holding a special screening of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince for those affected by autism on July 25th. This event, part of their "Sensory Friendly Films" program is designed to allow those who might not otherwise be able to enjoy the newest Harry Potter movie. The society says: "In order to provide a more accepting and comfortable setting for this unique audience, the movie auditoriums will have their lights brought up and the sound turned down; families will be able to bring in their own gluten-free, casein-free snacks; and no previews or advertisements will be shown before the movie. Additionally, audience members are welcome to get up and dance, walk, shout or sing - in other words, AMC’s “Silence is Goldenpolicy will not be enforced unless the safety of the audience is questioned." More info on the participating theaters can be found here.

Thanks so much Elizabeth!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

Da1a_thumb

Alas, my son is too young to see this film, right now, but it’s great to know that there are films he CAN see that won’t be too loud…that’s really the only sensory issue he has, but it’s great to hear! Although, he has learned to just cover his ears with his hands, and deals with it just fine that way. He is beginning to really like Harry Potter (movies). I can’t wait till he’s ready for me to read the series with him!

Erin

Erin

Posted by Rin68nyr on July 13, 2009, 04:55 PM report to moderator
Dscn0194_thumb
1921 Points

This is wonderful on AMC’s part. How special for these special kids.

Posted by izziewitch on July 13, 2009, 05:11 PM report to moderator

This is a great thing AMC is doing. I am glad to see people are thinking of other children and adults that have autism. I am very excited about this….honestly!

2 thumbs Up AMC

Posted by You Know Stew [ROAR!] on July 13, 2009, 05:22 PM report to moderator
Capture10_thumb

Thats really good of them to do. I dont really know what autism is but its good to help those with it.

Posted by Gryffindor1991 {ROAR!!!} on July 13, 2009, 05:50 PM report to moderator
Bullet_thumb

How cool is AMC!! And I’m glad to see that my local theatre is on the list of the participants.

Posted by TerieB on July 13, 2009, 06:48 PM report to moderator
Hagrid_thumb

Smart marketing. Special screenings for people with special needs generates good will with the public as well as audience loyalty. A bit of win/win with this one.

Posted by biiigbob on July 13, 2009, 07:25 PM report to moderator
Normal_tomriddle2_scarpotter_thumb

It is so wonderful that they are doing this for these kids!

Posted by Huffleclaw65 on July 13, 2009, 07:37 PM report to moderator
Dsc08588_thumb

That’s great! What an awesome thing to do :)

Posted by Jade Danielle (WBM) on July 13, 2009, 07:59 PM report to moderator
Hangin__out_at_the_game_-_small_thumb

I love this idea! My best friend and I got to go the midnight showing last year sans kids. This year we can’t do that and were hoping to go together again, but couldn’t because her child with autism wouldn’t be able to handle it. Maybe this will catch on, there are so many families that will be able to enjoy this new experience. My kudos to AMC.

Posted by potter_mom_in_GA on July 13, 2009, 08:04 PM report to moderator
Hangin__out_at_the_game_-_small_thumb

Yes! Our local theater is one of the participants!

Posted by potter_mom_in_GA on July 13, 2009, 08:05 PM report to moderator
Owl_watermelon_thumb

I like movie theaters that offer special screenings for those who may not be able to go to a regular show. I usually hear about the baby shows (where parents can bring in infants and it’s all right for them to cry) and closed captioning/subtitles for the hearing impaired. What a great idea for those kids who typically can’t go out to the movies!

Posted by Lucia Meadows on July 13, 2009, 09:11 PM report to moderator

That is incredible. My son has autism and while I can bring him to the movies he tends to talk a lot through them. It would be nice to not have to shush him.

Posted by Ivyann on July 13, 2009, 10:09 PM report to moderator
Hg53qu2_thumb

I hope it becomes a trend, at least for matinee’s. My autistic daughter would be much more comfortable, but honestly, all my kids would be more comfortable. Movie theaters have been too dark and too loud for too long.

Posted by Chrysanthemum on July 13, 2009, 10:11 PM report to moderator
065_thumb

As the parent of an Aspergers Child I say Thank You!! My son ’s sensory overload has been more managable since he has grown and learned coping skills, but I can see how wonderful this is for people not as blessed as we are.

Posted by potterversefan on July 13, 2009, 10:20 PM report to moderator
6775_1198083715685_1336262920_30563827_4626040_n_thumb

thats great! i love that.

Posted by Kristin1994 on July 14, 2009, 01:13 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"I don't go looking for trouble," said Harry, nettled. "Trouble usually finds [i]me[/i]."