Variety on Eight Harry Potter Films: Possibly Grossing 7 Billion in Worldwide Box Office

DH Film
July 12, 2009, 09:27 AM

Here is an eye opening number for you: Variety has a new article online listing the upcoming blockbusters in Warner Bros lineup for the next four years, with the piece reading "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2," directed by Yates and starring Radcliffe, Watson and Grint. Opening July 15, 2011. The eight films will probably win up grossing somewhere around $7 billion in worldwide box office."

The industry magazine also has a second article online where it notes WB's continued investment in the Harry Potter franchise, mentioning the Wizarding World of Harry Potter theme park currently under construction in Orlando, Florida. The 20-acre venture will feature a slew of rides, restaurants and attractions based on the books and films, including a 150-foot recreation of Hogwarts Castle and Hogsmeade Village. Rides will feature cast members from the pics." Readers will recall of course that actress Emma Watson recently confirmed that she filmed a piece to be used as part of one ride for certain.

Finally in an odd related note, on Friday, Harry Potter producers David Heyman and David Barron, along with director David Yates were the celebrity guests to ring the closing bell on Wall Street; photos here in our galleries.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Capture10_thumb

That would probably make Harry Potter the biggest franchize ever. I cant wait to see it end but I dont want it to end either.

Posted by Gryffindor1991 {ROAR!!!} on July 12, 2009, 12:30 PM report to moderator

7 billon? Holy crap that is a lot.

Posted by AndreaB09 on July 12, 2009, 12:40 PM report to moderator

WOW! I CANT WAIT! I <3 HP!

Posted by AndreaB09 on July 12, 2009, 12:41 PM report to moderator
Picture4_052_thumb

Um, am I the only one who sees the magic in the films making 7 Billion? After all, 7 is the most powerful magical number.

Posted by joelface on July 12, 2009, 12:45 PM report to moderator
Resize2_thumb

$7 Billion is a good estimate I would say. OotP came so close to beating Philosopher’s at the World-Wide box office… I think HBP might even do better than OotP… but we’ll see!

Posted by Aurora_7 on July 12, 2009, 01:09 PM report to moderator
Owl_watermelon_thumb

I suppose Variety only considered the movies in its tabulation. With merchandising, the theme park, and DVD sales, WB will have made maybe in the $8-12 billion range.

Posted by Lucia Meadows on July 12, 2009, 01:47 PM report to moderator
Buckbeak_thumb

Warner Bros should be nicer to us.

Posted by Girlraven1 on July 12, 2009, 02:35 PM report to moderator
Buckbeak_thumb

I guess they don’t need bailout money.

Posted by Girlraven1 on July 12, 2009, 02:37 PM report to moderator
1930 Points

That’s amazing! This series had such a huge impact on the world.

Posted by felixfelicis11 on July 12, 2009, 02:42 PM report to moderator
Ginny_thumb

WOW, that’s a big number! I’m so happy! Wait, did they say 2011? I’m so impatient!

Posted by Colleen_Ginevera on July 12, 2009, 02:59 PM report to moderator
Ginny_thumb

I agree with girlatty1, they don’t need bailout money!

Posted by Colleen_Ginevera on July 12, 2009, 02:59 PM report to moderator
Hbpposter_harryandginny_thumb

Well if that’s true, then the crown of top grossing movie series of all time will surely be passed on from James Bond to Harry Potter!
Long Live Harry!

Posted by kleigh629 on July 12, 2009, 03:39 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_lnohl1j5ya1qenanjo1_500_thumb

I cants wait!!!!!!

Posted by The Nerd on July 12, 2009, 04:26 PM report to moderator
Moon3_thumb

I’m very much looking forward to the theme park. I hope it lives up to my expectations.

Posted by Figment on July 12, 2009, 04:29 PM report to moderator
Dare-to-be-clever_thumb

BAH….2011? ill be 22 by then!!!!!!!!!!! jesus christ thats way way way way way to far away for me!!! oh andi just cannot WAIT for the theme park

Posted by Morgana_Black*WBM* on July 12, 2009, 04:48 PM report to moderator

As Professor Lupin went to stand next to it, the wardrobe gave a sudden wobble, banging off the wall.[br]"Nothing to worry about," said Professor Lupin calmly because a few people had jumped backward in alarm. "There's a boggart in there."