Nicholas Hooper on Half-Blood Prince Score: News on Discarded Choir Piece in Latin, Cave Scene

HBP Film
July 12, 2009, 08:56 PM

Scorenotes has a brand new interview with composer Nicholas Hooper on this score for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Of interest are new comments on a discarded piece for choir set in Latin, writing the romantic themes for scenes such as the Harry/Ginny Kiss, writing for the Inferi in the Cave scene and much more. To listen click here (SPOILER caution).  The soundtrack for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince will be released on Tuesday, with a link to a digital download for the music as well as exclusive content.

Thanks Matt!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

Very interesting… First to post?

Posted by Dark Yoda on July 12, 2009, 09:12 PM report to moderator
Purebloodproud_thumb

Although no choir existed in Hogwarts, it would be awesome for them to sing in Latin. Ahem, possibly a song for them to learn their spells to. Imagine, expelliarmus, reparo, and sectumsempra all in the same line. Why NOT! I learned world history according to Billy Joel’s: We Didn’t Start the Fire.

Posted by NarcissaABlack on July 12, 2009, 09:18 PM report to moderator
N1582655832_2952_thumb

Does anyone know if the Sectumsempra counter-curse will be song-like in the movie, like how it was described in the book?

Posted by tina_als_girl on July 12, 2009, 09:28 PM report to moderator
Lj_sallyna-smile_th_3_thumb

well now I’m pouting – why do they have to tell us about a choir piece if it got cut? thats just mean… (Personally I like to think that there WAS musical opportunities at Hogwarts, and that since we saw things through Harry’s point of view – we just didn’t see it)… (I’m still on the lookout for a large stuffed frog to go with my Hogwarts Student outfit I’ve put together, because I LOVE the song Double Trouble – and if we’d had one in Latin it would have been even better! – said the girl who sings Latin in the shower: Sicut cervus, desederat ad fontes…)

Posted by SaneAsYouAre on July 12, 2009, 09:47 PM report to moderator
Owl_watermelon_thumb

But movie!Hogwarts does have a choir. Professor Flitwick conducts, and they sang “Double Trouble” in Prisoner of Azkaban, then we saw Flitwick’s inspection by Umbridge while he was directing vocal exercises. The original place for “In Noctem” would have been an interesting contrast, so let’s hope for it to be a deleted scene on the DVD!

Posted by Lucia Meadows on July 12, 2009, 10:03 PM report to moderator
Dgraymanclockroom37_thumb

Why must Ravenclaw’s Head of house have to conduct the choir? Why not Snape? That would be funner!

Posted by Rumbleroarϟ{WBM!}ǝıʞɔnp! on July 12, 2009, 10:08 PM report to moderator
Ww_purple_thumb

Or as the the bonus content on CD’s would be nice! :)

Posted by Pax on July 12, 2009, 10:20 PM report to moderator
Poa_thumb

so ummm… a fews months ago I was reading a leaked script of the movie containing a couple scenes, one of which included this choir scene, and I have to say, it sounded very cool, and i was looking forward to seeing it… Basically it was cutting back and forth from the high tension right after Harry and Dumbledore’s return from the cave, to Draco and the choir.

I believe it it cut from Harry and Dumbledore’s return, to the choir in the Great Hall, then to McGonagall looking into the mysterious clouds in the sky, the choir, and Snape looking into the sky. (?) Also, Draco climbs out of bed, past the choir, and to the Room of Requirement, where he knows it is time to open the vanishing cabinet.

I did read somewhere before this interview, however, that the scene was going to be cut because it broke the momentum between the scene of the Cave and the Astronomy Tower. (I’ll be happy either way… I just want the real movie!!)

Posted by Rumbleroar! on July 12, 2009, 11:09 PM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

It is a pity that this choir piece was omitted from the final film, as I am certain that this musical creation would have complemented and enhanced the tension and anxiety running through the climax with remarkable ease.

Posted by Kirk on July 12, 2009, 11:13 PM report to moderator
Capture10_thumb

He does a pretty good job. But I still prefer John Williams.

Posted by Gryffindor1991 {ROAR!!!} on July 12, 2009, 11:56 PM report to moderator
9793229_thumb

Ah, I’ve got my tickets to the midnight release. ; D I’ll definitely be going decked out in Slytherin appreal and house colors as per every year. I’d loev to see the choir back again. I loved those frogs so very much. Double, double, toil and trouble, fire burns and cauldrons bubble~? Is that it?

Posted by Ouroboros on July 13, 2009, 12:14 AM report to moderator

news about hbp = makes me even more excited. ohh my goodness. <3

Posted by g-g-gena; wbm! on July 13, 2009, 12:45 AM report to moderator
41105_10150254604520192_615620191_14488176_2111077_n_thumb

the music is amazing

Posted by placebowiz on July 13, 2009, 12:57 AM report to moderator
Phelpstwins_thumb

aww, that’s too bad— I love choral pieces!

Posted by deadtree ♥WBM♥ on July 13, 2009, 01:17 AM report to moderator
Minerva_mcgonagall_thumb

I ordered mine!

Posted by oldenoughtoknowbetter♎ROAR♎OoM1, CW on July 13, 2009, 02:07 AM report to moderator

Harry gripped the edges of the stool and thought, [i]Not Slytherin, not Slytherin.[/i][br]"Not Slytherin, eh?" said the small voice. "Are you sure? You could be great, you know, it's all here in your head, and Slytherin will help you on the way to greatne