Helen McCrory Talks Filming on Spinner's End for Half-Blood Prince

HBP Film
July 11, 2009, 10:17 AM

Actress Helen McCrory has given a new interview where she discusses filming her role as Narcissa Malfoy in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Noting her appearance in the film is short, she also jokes about the fleeting appearance made by actor Timothy Spall as Wormtail in the Unbreakable vow scene at Spinner's End. Quotage:

"She appears in the two final films of the series, but warns: "Don't reach down for your popcorn, because by the time you do, I could be off the screen, in Half-Blood Prince I am literally like, whoa, there she goes! But everyone was like that. In our first scene, Helena Bonham Carter and I are rolling past this blue screen, and we knock on the door and Tim Spall comes out.

"Tim pulls open the door and looks. That took about a day and a half of filming, and then it was, 'Thank you very much ladies and gentlemen, that's a wrap on Mr Spall,' and you go, that's it? You have people like Tim, that most producers are killing themselves to work with, and that's the fun of doing (Harry Potter]. Everyone is giving their all and they're all used to playing the lead parts. They're going, 'How shall I open the door? Do you want me to do it like this, or like this?' That sort of attention to detail, because, you know, they probably last did Hamlet. So David is surrounded by actors going, 'Right, I can give you this, or I can give you that, or I can give you . . .' and he's like, 'Please, please, just say your one line and f*** off.'" She laughs heartily. "He's extraordinary, because it's a huge project: the pressure!"

As the mother of two young children – with her husband, actor Damian Lewis, she has a daughter Manon, two, and a son, Gulliver, one – I wonder if she approached Narcissa in the spirit of Cruella de Ville, or that of a ferocious mum defending her cub?

"In this film it's about protecting her son. The fact that you have children probably makes a bit of a difference, but not enormously, because you do spend a lot of time as an actor trying to imagine what the other person's feeling, anyway. As a woman you've played mothers before, and you don't have to be a mother to understand what feeling protective is all about."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

i love her!

opennnning the door.
that’s going to be epic.

Posted by john-robert. on July 11, 2009, 12:01 PM report to moderator
Andysnowhead2002b1_thumb

Good interview.

Posted by Mugglejeff on July 11, 2009, 12:08 PM report to moderator
Ginny_thumb

Ahahah, I love that, how shall I open the door? Such detail!

Posted by RaveKatie [WBM] on July 11, 2009, 12:17 PM report to moderator
Avatars_books_quotes_feb07_thumb

Lol great interview, she’s really funny. I never really imagined Narcissa with that hair and fierce air, but still, I think sh’ell be great.

Posted by BlueOwl4 on July 11, 2009, 12:22 PM report to moderator
Capture10_thumb

She’ll be good. Too bad she has such a small part.

Posted by Gryffindor1991 {ROAR!!!} on July 11, 2009, 12:38 PM report to moderator
Avpm_15_by_cuttlefishbella_thumb

Wow, it sounds like the Spinner’s End scene is going to be very short!

Posted by Live Laugh Love Potter ♥ROAR♥ on July 11, 2009, 12:50 PM report to moderator
Dsc08588_thumb

Haha, I love the bit about Timothy Spall….she seems quite funny :)

Posted by Jade Danielle (WBM) on July 11, 2009, 01:38 PM report to moderator
Hedwig_avatar_thumb

Valid point, the way you open a door, it immediately reveals how you are feeling, calm, nervous, welcoming, suspicious. The actor may know the book but he doesn’t know what effect the director wants to create unless he is told.

Posted by Graymayne on July 11, 2009, 01:57 PM report to moderator
Ronhermione_thumb

awesum interview :)

Picture1_thumb

This is a funny interview. Many of these actors haven’t had such a small role for many many years. Most of them had a big part in at least one of the movies in the series and their characters are still here so they have to come back to do that one little small part, like Timothy opening the door. The roles in the movies might end up being small, but the characters themselves are not small by any means. I mean Peter Pettigrew has to be in Spinner’s End. Narcissa Malfoy, Bellatrix Lestrange, and Severus Snape have to be there. We won’t accept them being played by other actors. They have to be by the actors that did them before. Except for minor characters like Pansy and Angelina and the unfortunate death of Harris, Harry Potter has kept the same actors throughout the entire series. That is a beautiful thing. We’ve had Dan Radcliffe play Harry in all the movies. We’ve had Alan Rickman play Snape in all the movies. No one has said they’re too big to return for just one line. That’s absolutely wonderful. The continuity is fantastic. In that aspect this series, being an 8 film series, is amazing. All the actors have returned when asked. They want to be here. They want to play their part.

Posted by blue4t on July 11, 2009, 02:27 PM report to moderator
36090_413317180969_787035969_4440390_4514136_n_thumb

Excellent interview! And, you’re right Won_Two…“There ARE no small parts, only small actors!”

Posted by Confederate Lady [CL, Rawwrrrr] on July 11, 2009, 02:31 PM report to moderator
Ginny_thumb

I think she’ll portray Narcissa perfectly! Can’t wait to see the movie!

Posted by Colleen_Ginevera on July 11, 2009, 02:47 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_siggy_thumb
‘Please, please, just say your one line and f*** off.’

RUDE but funny at the same time= me laughing my A** off!

Posted by harrypotterlover10 on July 11, 2009, 03:26 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_siggy_thumb
‘Please, please, just say your one line and f*** off.’

RUDE but funny at the same time= me laughing my butt off!

Posted by harrypotterlover10 on July 11, 2009, 03:27 PM report to moderator
Hogwartshouses_thumb

I love the fact that all these actors who have done these giant productions will bother to take that much detail with this series. Dedication like that is extremely honorable.

Posted by Bellamount on July 11, 2009, 03:35 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"Potter, what is this supposed to be?"[br]The Slytherins at the front of the class all looked up eagerly; they loved hearing Snape taunt Harry.[br]"The Draught of Peace," said Harry tensely.[br]"Tell me, Potter," said Snape softly, "can you read?"