Matt Lewis On Missing the St. Mungo Scene and More as Neville Longbottom

Lewis
July 01, 2009, 03:46 AM

Actor Matt Lewis is the subject of the latest article from the LA Time Hero Complex blog series counting down until the release of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. In this new interview, Matt speaks about his role as the beloved Neville Longbottom, in particular regarding a scene that had fans lamenting when it was cut from Order of the Phoenix, that being the emotional visit with Neville and his parents at St. Mungo. Quotage:

JP: Back to acting then ... Was there anything you didn't get to do as Neville?

ML: There was some stuff that we got to do that was cut out, which is always a shame.  Remember in the "Order of the Phoenix," the big battle at the end in the Ministry of Magic?  We shot a lot that wasn't included in the film. The room with the brains in it I was kind of looking forward to seeing ... The one scene in particular that I really wanted to do as an actor was the St. Mungo's Hospital scene where we see Neville's parents for the first time.  It was just something that I thought was really important to the character cause it showed a really soft side to him.  His parents were there and they didn't recognize him and there was that lovely bit where they give him the sweet ... I remember when I was reading it in the book and it was tear-jerking and really, really endearing.  I just thought in that one scene it really showed what Neville was all about.  How he's got all this heart, and even though the doctors are saying that they don't know who you are, he still believes in them.  And I thought 'That's Neville.'  That heart, that courage, that belief showed what Neville Longbottom was all about.  And as an actor, it's a shame that we didn't get to do that.  I've never really had to do anything on that level emotionally, so that would've been a great challenge.

Matt also looks forward to Deathly Hallows, as well as the soon-to-be-released Half-Blood Prince.

JP: You're filming or about to film 'Deathly Hallows,' and Stuart Craig said the films have always been dark, but how do you feel about the films' increasing darkness?

ML: There has been an element of darkness all the way through.  You have this evil element in Voldemort, a sort of ultimate evil all the way through.  But the previous films have always had a sort of happy ending and they all develop friendship and love, and it started to get -- towards 5 and now 6 -- where the happy endings were not so easy.  And especially here in the "Half-Blood Prince," it's not a 'nice' story.  It's very dramatic, very dark, and it's really got this sense of foreboding throughout the film that just keeps getting worse because Voldemort's getting away with it every year.  Harry's not saving the day anymore.  In that respect, it's definitely getting darker.

I will say one thing about "Half-Blood Prince," though.  Though it is much more sinister, there's a lovely balance this year with the comedy as well that makes it more relatable.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Lewis News

Buckbeak_thumb

I would ove to see those out-takes.

Posted by Girlraven1 on July 01, 2009, 09:27 PM report to moderator

man they need a dvd full of all the scenes that were cut from the first hp to the last! thats what i say.
the end of order of pheonix was well to short they needed the brain bit n neville hosptial trip otherwise when in dh he gets all brave it seem like it came outa nowhere!

Posted by granger_malfoy on July 01, 2009, 10:24 PM report to moderator
Leaky_thumb

Whenever they talk of great material that has been cut, I wonder WHY didn’t you put that on the DVd, WB? WHY? It’s right there. No need for scale corrections or anything. Have an editor slpa together teh raw material, and make the fans happy!
Just sayin’

Posted by NinnyTreetops on July 01, 2009, 10:25 PM report to moderator
The_golden_snitch_thumb

I hope they will spare all the scenes from the book to the new movie!

Posted by hermione97 on July 02, 2009, 12:31 AM report to moderator
100_166_thumb

Really nice interview. I also wish they’d done the St. Mungo’s scene but i guess they can only have so much in the film =/ Even if they’d just filmed it and put it on the DVD i would have been happy. Neville is one of my favourite character’s for that very reason. Can’t wait for his moment in DH though.

Posted by Bockers [WBM] on July 02, 2009, 12:36 AM report to moderator
Safe_image_thumb

OMG i would be mad if i was Neville….Shame on you David Yate….

Posted by Picazo on July 02, 2009, 12:43 AM report to moderator
Dhonesheet_thumb

I love Matthew Lewis. And he is so Handsome! I really agree with him about that scene in OOTP when Neville’s mom gives him the candy wrapper. It’s a really touching, character-defining moment and it sucks that it didn’t make it into the film. But I really hope he keeps acting I would LOVE to see him in other things. I can’t wait to see him in the Deathly Hallows movie when he cuts off the head of the snake! HBP comes out in 13 DAYS!!!

Posted by cghambright on July 02, 2009, 01:25 AM report to moderator
Dhonesheet_thumb

It’s not David Yates fault that the scene was cut. I think if Steve Kloves had written the script then that scene definitely would’ve made it in the movie.

Posted by cghambright on July 02, 2009, 01:26 AM report to moderator
Rupes_maggie_thumb

aww, it was disappointing that neville’s scenes were cut in OotP.

Posted by hermyone*ROAR* on July 02, 2009, 01:39 AM report to moderator

I just realized I posted two different versions of the same comments. The connection was so-so the first time, and I didn’t think it was accepted the first time, so I did it again.

Posted by zoltan42 on July 02, 2009, 02:19 AM report to moderator
58265-daavvy_thumb

You know that’s what I love about JK and especially DH. It’s one of the reasons why it’s my favorite of the HP series. In this one book more than anything else JK shows that it really could have been Neville. In many ways it is him, because while Harry is off being “the chosen one” who is tasked with finding and killing the Horcruxes, Neville is still in Hogwarts leading the underground resistance…saving kids when and where he can…making sure that they are safe in the room of requirement…fouling up the works for the DeathEater teachers when and where he can. That is also the sign of a hero, and Neville definitely shows his metal. I truly hope they show him doing that in the DH films, and I hope they start to show Neville in that light more in the HBP film as well.

Posted by LadyCake on July 02, 2009, 02:48 AM report to moderator
Safe_image_thumb

I think Matt Lewis look really hot in that pic… dont he?

Posted by Picazo on July 02, 2009, 03:00 AM report to moderator
Hbpofficiallstills102_thumb

Great interview… I also feel like they should have keep in the part about his parents in St. Mungos because it was such a big part of Neville and on top of that in GoF when Moody is showing the unforgivable curses Neville is clearly bothered by it and Hermione says that but it never gets explained!!

Posted by Harry Potter 4 Ever!! on July 02, 2009, 03:33 AM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Good stuff…

Posted by Won_Two on July 02, 2009, 03:42 AM report to moderator
1393057603281_thumb
22029 Points

I’ll read it later!

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"Blimey, this is difficult. See, there was this wizard who went... bad. As bad as you could go. Worse. Worse than worse. His name was..."[br]Hagrid gulped, but no words came out.[br]"Could you write it down?" Harry suggested.[br]"Nah -- can't spell it. Al