Release Date for Some IMAX Editions of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Delayed

HBP Film
June 08, 2009, 01:53 PM

The Wall Street Journal is reporting today they have confirmed with the Chief Executive of Imax reports that there will be a delay in the release of the IMAX and IMAX 3D versions of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince here in the US. When WB first delayed the HBP film last fall, among the many problems it created was a scheduling problem for IMAX and the new Transformers film, thereby forcing Harry Potter fans to wait and see the sixth Harry Potter fans two weeks after the general release of the film. Fans can now see Half-Blood Prince in IMAX July 29. The paper reports this scheduling "means most Imax theaters will show "Harry Potter" starting July 29, two weeks after its July 14 opening in conventional theaters, the company confirmed. Richard Gelfond, Imax chief executive, said at least one Imax theater in New York and another in Los Angeles are scheduled to play "Harry Potter" starting July 14; the dates for international theaters are still being negotiated.

He added that it's a "high-class" problem to have, given that the first 12 minutes of "Harry Potter" will be exclusively in Imax 3D and a few scenes of "Transformers" were shot with Imax cameras, and those are features that have been popular with audiences in the past.

Thanks to Jeff Dodge from TV Watch Online who emailed TLC and all the Harry Potter sites with this news. We are still awaiting word from WB as well and will update with that when we can.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

Harry_potter_siggy_thumb

UGH!!!!!!! WHY THEY KEEP DOING THIS TO US! SOME OF US CAN ONLY SEE IT ONCE IN THETERS! I NOW HAVE TO DEAL WITH SPOILERS BECUASE I WANT TO SEE IT IN 3D!

Posted by harrypotterlover10 on June 08, 2009, 09:08 PM report to moderator
Rupes_maggie_thumb

Well that will put a huge damper on some people’s plans. But at least those people can see it in the regular theaters first on the 15th and see it in IMAX when it finally comes out!

Posted by hermyone*ROAR* on June 08, 2009, 10:05 PM report to moderator
Poa_thumb

Actually, it is possible that the first 12 minutes would also be 3D because the opening scene is supposed to be where the Death Eaters destroy the Millennium Bridge! :)

Posted by Rumbleroar! on June 08, 2009, 10:32 PM report to moderator
Hufflepuffpottermore_thumb

ugh!! this is beginning to piss me off….i’m going to see it a million times anyway, but still. They should have thought about all of this when they changed the release date to begin with. I really do hope that my theater has the imax film first off, but seeing as itss hard to watch it in 3d when your home seeing it normally will be okay the first time around. As long as the july 14th date doesn’t get changed i’m good to go…i just want it to come out already…

Posted by Sorceress25 on June 08, 2009, 11:27 PM report to moderator
66071_440073881516_721806516_5709069_6899239_n_thumb

Ahhhh, IMAX. One of the greatest creations for Harry Potter movies ever.
:D

Posted by Sara Weasley on June 08, 2009, 11:49 PM report to moderator
Jneville_thumb

i’m sure that a ravenclaw could easily solve that problem… WBM

Posted by thallo on June 09, 2009, 02:07 AM report to moderator
001_thumb

I agree with phantomles :)

Posted by saffran { roar } on June 09, 2009, 02:18 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

Why cant they ever just pick a date and leave it!

Posted by LunaLuver on June 09, 2009, 02:20 AM report to moderator

heh my two favorite fandoms clash. transformers is a better imax fit, anyway.

Posted by KanedaX on June 09, 2009, 02:57 AM report to moderator
Hp-trio-dhx_thumb

WB and their stupid delay just screwing up everything as ususal :P:P
anyway,i think i can wait to see it in imax an extra 2 weeks

Posted by xxIBelieveInNarglesxx on June 09, 2009, 03:07 AM report to moderator
Ahhhhhhhh__thumb

AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so— GRRRR!!!!!!!
Oh well— now I can go back to hunting down the little—— walks off

Posted by Remus Lupin on June 09, 2009, 03:11 AM report to moderator
Hufflebeth_thumb_thumb

Thanks WB for screwing over us Azkatraz attendees AGAIN!

Posted by Hufflebeth on June 09, 2009, 03:20 AM report to moderator
Poa_thumb

At first this sounded more like a business strategy when I first read it. This way, everyone would go see the movie opening night, and then two weeks later when it is released on the IMAX screens and in 3D, everyone would go see it again! Although I now see that this has nothing to with WB, I still truly believe that this will increase their ticket sales like never before!
I was going to see this in “regular” theaters anyway, but I feel bad for those who had already made plans in advance to see this… :(

Posted by Rumbleroar! on June 09, 2009, 03:25 AM report to moderator
My_hero_neville_thumb

I hope the IMAX theater in NY is the one in Manhattan! Don’t know if I can wait another 2 weeks to see HBP.

Posted by KB Prez [ROAR!] on June 09, 2009, 03:39 AM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Another tempest in a teapot…

Posted by Won_Two on June 09, 2009, 03:48 AM report to moderator

"Tell yeh what, I'll get yer animal. Not a toad, toads went outta fashion years ago, yeh'd be laughed at -- an' I don' like cats, they make me sneeze. I'll get yer an owl. All the kids want owls, they're dead useful, carry yer mail an' everythin'"