New Interview with Dan Radcliffe and Tom Felton Online

Radcliffe Interviews
Posted by: Edward
June 08, 2009, 11:05 PM

There is a new interview online this evening of actors Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter) and Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy) courtesy of scans over on FeltBeats.com.  Appearing in the August 2009 issue of Sci Fi Magazine, the interview poses questions to the two actors about the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince film.  Mr. Felton speaks at some length about the role of his character in the film.  Of Draco's changes and emotional suffering in the Half-Blood Prince, Felton says:

"This book reveals the most about Draco. When I was reading it, I didin't know if he was going to go through with it or not. I’d like to think that his drive of wanting to be the chosen and take Potters place was far greater than his fear of killing someone. Right up to the last minute, I though, ‘Yeah, he’s going to do this.’ And then he lowers his wand–he never really had it in him. That was a revelation to me. He doesn’t have half the heart of Harry–although killing someone is nothing to have heart for–but you need courage and bravery that isn’t up to par with Potter. I remember when the book came out, I was like, ‘I’m going to wait for the script, because I don’t wan tto get prepared for a scene that’s not going to be there.’ A friend picked it up and said, ‘You’re in this quite a bit,’ so I naturally picked it up rather rapidly and read it cover to cover in about 24 hours. I can’t remember what I was hoping for: [Draco] to do it or not. I quite like the fact that he doesn’t. I think it separates him from the rest of the dark side. He’s quite human, Draco. More so than the rest of them, anyway."
Mr. Felton also says in the interview that he "is only human" and couldn’t put down the seventh one once I opened it up.

Dan Radcliffe also speaks to his character in the film, relating his feelings on filming the sixth installment of the series, the way he feels the sixth film holds up to the book, and his hopes that the off-screen friendship the young actor developed with Michael Gambon (Dumbledore) will show on screen as well.  Quoteage:
"[Gambon] is wonderful and I love him and he's one of the greatest actors I've ever worked with but it is amazing because he will be actively trying to make you laugh right up until the point where the director says, 'Action.'  I think I'll be vaguely happy with the scenes between myself and Michael Gambon.  I think they'll be good.  Because we got to like each other very much off screen, I'm hoping onscreen that'll come across."
In addition, the interview features quotes from a slew of fellow Potter cast and crew members, including director David Yates, Matt Lewis (Neville Longbottom), and production designer Stuart Craig.  David Yates notes in the article that working on the Potter films has allowed him to utilize visual effects in a way he had not been able to previously.

The full series of scans from the magazine containing the full article can be viewed right here.

Thanks to LilyGinny27!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe Interviews News

Image_thumb

I am really looking forward to the Draco scenes :) I’m sure Tom will finally shine through where before he only got one or two lines, that one scene in the trailer with him walking down the corridors looking distressed was fantastic!

Posted by Kamidee {ROAR!} [TZS] on June 09, 2009, 12:33 PM report to moderator

So it seems that Dan is fond of Michael Gambon – let’s hope the feeling is reciprocal so that Gambon doesn’t start throttling our boy again!

And let’s hope Dan can use the friendship to persuade Gambon to read a certain few books!

Posted by pottershrink on June 09, 2009, 12:37 PM report to moderator
Lexi_dumbledore_harry_wands_thumb

That was really cool. I liked hearing about how Tom Felton felt reading the end of Half-Blood Prince.

Posted by Lexi*the*Auror on June 09, 2009, 12:39 PM report to moderator
Downsized_0124001234a_thumb

Great interview! I can’t wait for HBP. Tom really seems to get Draco’s character and it should be interesting to see what he will be able to do with a heavier role.

Posted by Olivia Elaine a.k.a Agent Pomplamoose on June 09, 2009, 12:40 PM report to moderator
Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

great interviews!!! i cant wait for the movie!!!!

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on June 09, 2009, 12:46 PM report to moderator
Kc_lucius1_thumb

really good interviews!

Posted by KC Nox on June 09, 2009, 12:53 PM report to moderator
Xz5jc2nr_thumb
22044 Points

Really cool Interview! I’m Excited for this new film!!! I’m just waiting for the Day!!!

Hp7main_thumb

Very nice article. You guys have got to go to Tom’s twitter page and click on the pic of him with the little girl dressed in Gryffindor robes. Absolutely adorable.

Posted by 9and3qtrs[ROAR] on June 09, 2009, 02:37 PM report to moderator
Me_thumb

cool interview.

funny about tom felton not reading the book because he is waiting for the script.

Posted by alegria35 on June 09, 2009, 03:19 PM report to moderator
Wig4_thumb

Cool interview!

Posted by Fleur-de- Lily on June 09, 2009, 03:21 PM report to moderator

Nice interview!

Posted by Wingardium Leviosa ❄WBM❄ on June 09, 2009, 04:27 PM report to moderator
Normal_fredjorgeweasley_scarpotter_thumb

I really can’t wait to see Draco on HPB!
His biggest role so far!

Posted by Slytherin Princess ^hiss^ on June 09, 2009, 07:01 PM report to moderator
Natalieportman14_thumb

I love it that Tom read the book, even though he didn’t really want to. And I love that Tom got to understand his character more through reading the book. I think it’s important for an actor to understand a character fully. And now he does.

Posted by Tassana Burrfoot on June 09, 2009, 08:28 PM report to moderator
Img_4556_thumb

Nice insight.

Posted by Dolemite [FTC!] on June 09, 2009, 10:11 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Good interview!

Posted by Won_Two on June 09, 2009, 11:31 PM report to moderator

"Look, here come more now... You two must really smell..."[br]Harry turned. No fewer than six or seven thestrals were picking their way through the trees now, their great leathery wings folded tight to their bodies, their eyes gleaming through the darknes