New Interview with Dan Radcliffe and Tom Felton Online

Radcliffe Interviews
Posted by: Edward
June 08, 2009, 11:05 PM

There is a new interview online this evening of actors Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter) and Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy) courtesy of scans over on FeltBeats.com.  Appearing in the August 2009 issue of Sci Fi Magazine, the interview poses questions to the two actors about the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince film.  Mr. Felton speaks at some length about the role of his character in the film.  Of Draco's changes and emotional suffering in the Half-Blood Prince, Felton says:

"This book reveals the most about Draco. When I was reading it, I didin't know if he was going to go through with it or not. I’d like to think that his drive of wanting to be the chosen and take Potters place was far greater than his fear of killing someone. Right up to the last minute, I though, ‘Yeah, he’s going to do this.’ And then he lowers his wand–he never really had it in him. That was a revelation to me. He doesn’t have half the heart of Harry–although killing someone is nothing to have heart for–but you need courage and bravery that isn’t up to par with Potter. I remember when the book came out, I was like, ‘I’m going to wait for the script, because I don’t wan tto get prepared for a scene that’s not going to be there.’ A friend picked it up and said, ‘You’re in this quite a bit,’ so I naturally picked it up rather rapidly and read it cover to cover in about 24 hours. I can’t remember what I was hoping for: [Draco] to do it or not. I quite like the fact that he doesn’t. I think it separates him from the rest of the dark side. He’s quite human, Draco. More so than the rest of them, anyway."
Mr. Felton also says in the interview that he "is only human" and couldn’t put down the seventh one once I opened it up.

Dan Radcliffe also speaks to his character in the film, relating his feelings on filming the sixth installment of the series, the way he feels the sixth film holds up to the book, and his hopes that the off-screen friendship the young actor developed with Michael Gambon (Dumbledore) will show on screen as well.  Quoteage:
"[Gambon] is wonderful and I love him and he's one of the greatest actors I've ever worked with but it is amazing because he will be actively trying to make you laugh right up until the point where the director says, 'Action.'  I think I'll be vaguely happy with the scenes between myself and Michael Gambon.  I think they'll be good.  Because we got to like each other very much off screen, I'm hoping onscreen that'll come across."
In addition, the interview features quotes from a slew of fellow Potter cast and crew members, including director David Yates, Matt Lewis (Neville Longbottom), and production designer Stuart Craig.  David Yates notes in the article that working on the Potter films has allowed him to utilize visual effects in a way he had not been able to previously.

The full series of scans from the magazine containing the full article can be viewed right here.

Thanks to LilyGinny27!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe Interviews News

Wgwg2_thumb
2064 Points

That was a very brilliant interview. I love hearing the actors talk about there roles, Tom and Dan are both awesome, ! love them! :)

Posted by hp29 [ROAR!] on June 09, 2009, 12:01 AM report to moderator
Hpg05_thumb

hahaha greatt interview….tankss TLC :)

Posted by potterrock on June 09, 2009, 12:18 AM report to moderator
Kc_lucius1_thumb

really good interviews!

Posted by KC Nox on June 09, 2009, 12:51 AM report to moderator
Thhpspiritfingers_thumb

I lOVE Tom! He’s so great at everything he does! More power to him

Posted by Caput Draconis on June 09, 2009, 02:28 AM report to moderator
Jneville_thumb

cool

Posted by thallo on June 09, 2009, 03:11 AM report to moderator
Avatar_thumb

Can’t wait to see Draco in this one!

Posted by Prisoner Of Azkaban on June 09, 2009, 03:30 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_lof6suzoya1qzaf17o4_250_thumb

Interesting thoughts of Tom.

Posted by Matea on June 09, 2009, 03:30 AM report to moderator
Harry_snl_thumb

Fun hearing more from Tom. I think he is a neat guy. Also, isn’t it nice to hear that Dan likes Gambon? :o)

Msn_thumb

Great interviews! Tom really seems to get the role and it’s great hearing about Dan and Gambon getting along! Both things should transfer to the screen well! I’m so happy the left in Aragog’s funeral and didn’t (seem) to change it!

Posted by HermioneRon4ever on June 09, 2009, 08:03 AM report to moderator
Budgie_thumb
12005 Points

The script and the movie could be different in detail. I am glad the actors have read the books though. It should inform their characters motivations or intentions, and help those show through.

Posted by budgie on June 09, 2009, 09:42 AM report to moderator
Pluto_thumb

Cool interview
Thanks!!

Posted by simos girl {WBM} ~Lemon~ on June 09, 2009, 10:21 AM report to moderator
Phpyyqy43_c2am_thumb

I am far too old to be first!

In any case, this was fascinating. I am sure the rapport between Dan and Gambon will be conveyed on screen!

Posted by weasleywannabe1997 on June 09, 2009, 11:10 AM report to moderator
Iconator_dea697cd87becd1283213b46f798b87b_thumb

Nice interviews! I’m so excited for this film!

Posted by Wendelin the Weird on June 09, 2009, 11:25 AM report to moderator
Rupes_maggie_thumb

Very nice interviews. I love when we get new informations and insights from the actors ! :)

Posted by hermyone*ROAR* on June 09, 2009, 11:41 AM report to moderator
Iheartfredgeorge_thumb

Love that excerpt from Tom’s interview.
And I’m glad that Dan got along so well with Michael Gambon. That should hopefully make for some good acting and interaction on screen. :)

Posted by Mera004 on June 09, 2009, 12:30 PM report to moderator

"Ever since I found out Snape was teaching here, I've wondered why Dumbledore hired him. Snape's always been fascinated by the Dark Arts, he was famous for it at school. Slimy, oily, greasy-haired kid, he was," Sirius added, and Harry and Ron grinned at e