Rhys Ifans Says He Has Not Yet Read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

DH Film
June 03, 2009, 10:14 AM

Several weeks ago, TLC first told you that actor Rhys Ifans would be portraying the role of Xenophilius Lovegood, eccentric publisher of the Quibbler magazine, and the father to DA member Luna Lovegood in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Several times now Rhys Ifans has spoken about his involvement in the series, the most recent in an interview for Wales Radio. Scores of readers have emailed saying a translation of the interview is online via Forum Wales, that reads as follows:

I can't reveal much about the new HP film, which I don't understand because the book is out anyway, but I had to sign a clause that I wouldn't. However, I play Xenophilus Lovegood, a wizard who is the father of Luna Lovegood, one of HP's friends. That's all I can really say because I haven't read the book! There's been so much money thrown at the project, with there having been 5 other films. They're filming up in Levenshue near Luton in an old Rolls Royce airplane engine factory. It's an enormous place, so you walk about and see things like a zoo full of owls, so if you need an owl for a scene, you pick up the phone and someone comes across with an owl. It's a like a machine. I've never been - in America - with an employer of so many people. I'm not a big fan of HP but it feels like a priviledge to get called up with people like Maggie Smith and Michael Gambon so it's an honour that they thought of me to play a cross-eyed wizard.

TLC believes Rhys has filmed several times already in the part of the flamboyant magazine editor, with Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part One due in theaters Thanksgiving weekend, November, 2010. Thanks so much M for the translation, to Mary, David, Bill, SS, and all who emailed!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Img_4556_thumb

He’s like the British Owen Wilson or something?

Posted by Dolemite [FTC!] on June 04, 2009, 03:32 AM report to moderator
Avpm_15_by_cuttlefishbella_thumb

I really hope he gets to reading it still… just bc its full of so much magic. I dunno much about this actor, but hopefully he’ll rock my GRYFFINDOR SOCKS, which I still wish I had…

Posted by Live Laugh Love Potter ♥ROAR♥ on June 04, 2009, 03:40 AM report to moderator
1980 Points

…… i hpe he reads deathly halolws then

Posted by floridianhp*ROAR* on June 04, 2009, 03:48 AM report to moderator
Emma-vs-01_copy_thumb

To everyone bashing him for not reading the books: Shut up. Thank you.

More than half of the cast hasn’t read them. Including your beloved Richard Harris.

Posted by Leo_Lovegood on June 04, 2009, 04:10 AM report to moderator
Hogwartshouses_thumb

Personally, if the guy doesn’t read the books, he might find a new way to take the character and make it interesting. I say, let him decide how he wants to play his character. If he screws it up, we can point and laugh later.

Posted by Bellamount on June 04, 2009, 04:11 AM report to moderator

I think he’ll do well, but I really do hope he finds time to read the book!

Posted by Wingardium Leviosa ❄WBM❄ on June 04, 2009, 05:21 AM report to moderator
Wig4_thumb

It will be interesting to see what he does with he’s caracter in the movie.

Posted by Fleur-de- Lily on June 04, 2009, 05:29 AM report to moderator

Different actors employ different methods. And to be honest, Rowling isn’t exactly Shakespeare. Most of the characters are rather simple.

Posted by sachem on June 04, 2009, 05:30 AM report to moderator

Well Xeno is only there for about 2 or 3 scenes so I don’t suppose it makes much difference whether Mr Ifans’ has read the book or not. And hopefully the screenplay and directing etc. is good enough for him to play the part convincingly. But if he does find the time and motivation to read the books than that is good as well.

Posted by enchantedsocks on June 04, 2009, 06:52 AM report to moderator
Normal_dh_onset_londonday2_08_thumb

What on Earth!!
He HASN’T read the book!?!?!?!
:O

Posted by DanielleD on June 04, 2009, 07:55 AM report to moderator
Da1a_thumb

I did picture Luna’s father as much older for some reason….not sure why!
Erin

Posted by Rin68nyr on June 04, 2009, 08:03 AM report to moderator

if this guy is portraying Xenophilius Lovegood…I sincerely wish he will do a fantastic job of Xeno’s role. The belief has to be there, the sincerity, the very essence of Xenophilius is what he has to be.
What I don’t understand, is – he isn’t really a fan of HP….so why is he even auditioning for the role? He will be terribly lacking in substance, there will also be absolutely no belief there whatsoever.

Posted by DobbyWinkyKreacher on June 04, 2009, 08:58 AM report to moderator
Dobby_thumb

what?? he accepted a role in a hp movie and hasn’t read the books? i feel a little insulted as a hp fan that he wouldn’t at least research his role and read the books that his character is in. well, i hope he does good, being that he’s “not a hp fan”.

Posted by jennluvsharry on June 04, 2009, 11:05 AM report to moderator
Voila_thumb

Shame shame shame. x)

Posted by maera-kyrie on June 04, 2009, 12:22 PM report to moderator
15657683_thumb

Come on, man, reading the couple of chapters in which the character you play appears isn’t too much trouble. It’ll take you just a little while, and this way you’ll do us a big favour. You know, it’s the last movie, and we don’t want it to suck.

Thank you very much.
The HP fans

Posted by Cellar Door [*SQUEE!*] on June 04, 2009, 01:05 PM report to moderator

With a roar of rage, Black started toward Snape, but Snape pointed his wand straight between Black's eyes.[br]"Give me a reason," he whispered. "Give me a reason to do it, and I swear I will."