Rhys Ifans Says He Has Not Yet Read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

DH Film
June 03, 2009, 10:14 AM

Several weeks ago, TLC first told you that actor Rhys Ifans would be portraying the role of Xenophilius Lovegood, eccentric publisher of the Quibbler magazine, and the father to DA member Luna Lovegood in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Several times now Rhys Ifans has spoken about his involvement in the series, the most recent in an interview for Wales Radio. Scores of readers have emailed saying a translation of the interview is online via Forum Wales, that reads as follows:

I can't reveal much about the new HP film, which I don't understand because the book is out anyway, but I had to sign a clause that I wouldn't. However, I play Xenophilus Lovegood, a wizard who is the father of Luna Lovegood, one of HP's friends. That's all I can really say because I haven't read the book! There's been so much money thrown at the project, with there having been 5 other films. They're filming up in Levenshue near Luton in an old Rolls Royce airplane engine factory. It's an enormous place, so you walk about and see things like a zoo full of owls, so if you need an owl for a scene, you pick up the phone and someone comes across with an owl. It's a like a machine. I've never been - in America - with an employer of so many people. I'm not a big fan of HP but it feels like a priviledge to get called up with people like Maggie Smith and Michael Gambon so it's an honour that they thought of me to play a cross-eyed wizard.

TLC believes Rhys has filmed several times already in the part of the flamboyant magazine editor, with Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part One due in theaters Thanksgiving weekend, November, 2010. Thanks so much M for the translation, to Mary, David, Bill, SS, and all who emailed!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Avatarhghbp_thumb

Has it ever occurred to the people who say “what! they haven’t read the book” that these actors are busy people, who have their own interests that may not include reading Harry Potter before they get the role in the film? Sure, it’s great if they are fans, or if they decide to read the book once they get the role to get some background to it, but when it comes down to it, they are working from the script, not the book, and it is their perogative how they prepare for a role, especially when it comes to a role as relatively minor as Xeno Lovegood.

I’m also a bit over all the Michael Gambon bashing, most of which started because of ONE scene in GOF where he acted un-Dumbledore-like. People seem to forget that the director plays a major role in how a scene is interpreted and in my opinion Mike Newell deserves to cop the blame for that scene, not Gambon. If he had issues with “angry Dumbledore” he could have told Gambon to play the scene differently but he didn’t, so we can only assume that Gambon played the scene the way Newell asked him to.

As for him not having read the books, give him a break. He’s an older man who wouldn’t have necessarily sought out what have by most people been regarded (even if unfairly) “children’s books”. He has a very busy career, would be ready many scripts as well as his having his own reading interests, and in case you haven’t noticed, Harry Potter books aren’t exactly slim volumes, even if we Potterfans can gulp them down in one day, most people don’t.

I think it’s wonderful when an actor takes the time to read the book of the film they are playing in, but many don’t, no matter what the book, and they shouldn’t be bullied and bashed for this choice.

Posted by mouse68 on June 03, 2009, 08:11 PM report to moderator

yeah he definitely should read the book…haha i think he’s a great actor for that role though!
haha “it’s an honour that they thought of me to play a cross-eyed wizard”

Posted by kenmarekestrels93 {{ROAR}} on June 03, 2009, 08:57 PM report to moderator
Quidditch_2012_thumb

I know not everyone is a HP fan (gasp!) but it’s probably not a good idea to mention that in an interview about doing a HP movie.

Posted by muzic823{ROAR} on June 03, 2009, 09:26 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_lof6suzoya1qzaf17o4_250_thumb

well,I recomend him to read it!

Posted by Matea on June 03, 2009, 10:21 PM report to moderator

He seems a little too young for the role. I really hate it when these ungrateful actors brandish their ignorance with pride. Stick to romantic comedies Mr. Ifans. Who needs you?

Posted by Laceratius Bloodletter on June 03, 2009, 10:22 PM report to moderator
P1010630_thumb

“i’m not a big fan of HP?” hmmm – we’ll see

Posted by Hagrid 713 (ROAR) on June 03, 2009, 10:47 PM report to moderator
Epjpegutil31_thumb

I think Rhys will do a good job as Xenophilius Lovegood, and who knows, he may be intrigued by the story once he finds out more about it. Most of the other actors have read the books, so they may get him “hooked”.

Posted by Fresca ROAR on June 03, 2009, 10:50 PM report to moderator
The_one__colored_by_burdge_bug_thumb

He’ll get around to reading it i suppose…then again with a character synopsis he really wouldn’t need it. As long as he can get as nuts as Xeno we’re all good :)

Posted by Luce-Lupin !~ROAR~! on June 03, 2009, 10:50 PM report to moderator
Wicca_thumb

I think it is hilarious that he doesn’t get why he can’t talk about the movie. Well, genius, maybe it has something to do with what they have to change to make it into an entertaining and a cohesive end to the epic series. They so need to do this one justice, and I think the first step was to cut it in half.

Posted by Brosia, OoM 2 [WBM] on June 03, 2009, 10:58 PM report to moderator
Kyron_trucks_-_copy_thumb

I seriously doubt he will ever read the books, at least while he is filming. And if he’s already filmed some scenes there is no real incentive to read them. It sounds to me like he’s looking at the opportunity for nothing more than a paycheck, some high profile exposure as an actor and the chance to work with some great actors.

az

Posted by agentzac on June 03, 2009, 11:22 PM report to moderator
Jneville_thumb

To read or not to read HPatDH… i dont know anything about this actor, but usually they’re a bit posh and dont care very much about the original characters of a cinematic transposition… expecially when they’re hired for side roles.
Let’s be honest, in your opinion how many scenes Xenophilius Lovegood is going to get in the new movies? I think very few… knowing the panorama of the action, the entire book or the entire saga wouldn’t change the movie

Posted by thallo on June 04, 2009, 12:06 AM report to moderator
Ronhermione_thumb

TBH, i dont know if he has even read the other ones. i think he’ll be an okayish xeno but he seems very unlike lunas father…. hmm

Budgie_thumb
12005 Points

He would be at the wedding to introduce the Symbol, maybe, and would be at home to introduce the Deathly Hallows concept and number. After that he would just have to be anxious or distracted till the death eaters show up and the house explodes, unless they give him something more to do.

Posted by budgie on June 04, 2009, 01:08 AM report to moderator
Facebook_photo_bigger_thumb

maybe it’s better that he hasn’t read the book. Then he won’t have any preconceived notion about his character. Sometimes knowing too much about your characters background can be a bad thing.

Posted by Tilly71 on June 04, 2009, 01:20 AM report to moderator
Msn_thumb

Well some people with much larger roles haven’t read the books and do a fine job with the character so I think it should be okay. He looks a lot like how I imagined Xeno and (although I’ve never seen him act) he sounds like he’s good at it!!!

Posted by HermioneRon4ever on June 04, 2009, 03:30 AM report to moderator

"Professor McGonagall told me what awful things have happened when wizards have meddled with time... Loads of them ended up killing their past or future selves by mistake!"

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014