Rhys Ifans Says He Has Not Yet Read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

DH Film
June 03, 2009, 10:14 AM

Several weeks ago, TLC first told you that actor Rhys Ifans would be portraying the role of Xenophilius Lovegood, eccentric publisher of the Quibbler magazine, and the father to DA member Luna Lovegood in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Several times now Rhys Ifans has spoken about his involvement in the series, the most recent in an interview for Wales Radio. Scores of readers have emailed saying a translation of the interview is online via Forum Wales, that reads as follows:

I can't reveal much about the new HP film, which I don't understand because the book is out anyway, but I had to sign a clause that I wouldn't. However, I play Xenophilus Lovegood, a wizard who is the father of Luna Lovegood, one of HP's friends. That's all I can really say because I haven't read the book! There's been so much money thrown at the project, with there having been 5 other films. They're filming up in Levenshue near Luton in an old Rolls Royce airplane engine factory. It's an enormous place, so you walk about and see things like a zoo full of owls, so if you need an owl for a scene, you pick up the phone and someone comes across with an owl. It's a like a machine. I've never been - in America - with an employer of so many people. I'm not a big fan of HP but it feels like a priviledge to get called up with people like Maggie Smith and Michael Gambon so it's an honour that they thought of me to play a cross-eyed wizard.

TLC believes Rhys has filmed several times already in the part of the flamboyant magazine editor, with Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part One due in theaters Thanksgiving weekend, November, 2010. Thanks so much M for the translation, to Mary, David, Bill, SS, and all who emailed!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Hedwig_avatar_thumb

I don’t suppose Evanna will be very impressed by his ignorance, lol. I hope she shows him the error of his ways. Fortunately they don’t have much interaction.

Posted by Graymayne on June 03, 2009, 01:23 PM report to moderator
1_thumb

Really, Xenophilius isn’t that big of a role. Sure, he introduced a bunch of huge plot points, but he’s not a character that was developed over multiple books, and from an acting perspective, he only really has two modes: kooky spreader of “knowledge” and worried parent. Anything he needs to know that isn’t in the script will probably be explained to him by his “daughter” – Evanna! ;)

Posted by Dawlish and the Archies {WBM!} on June 03, 2009, 01:26 PM report to moderator
Iheartfredgeorge_thumb

I’ll be optimistic about it. He doesn’t have a huge role, and I’m sure he’ll be able to play the part just fine. And perhaps he will happen to pick up the book. :)

Posted by Mera004 on June 03, 2009, 01:27 PM report to moderator
Small_wizard_rock_page_logo_thumb

This is pretty disappointing in my book (excuse the pun!). I don’t care that he’s not a fan, because he’s a talented actor, but I do think that he should have at least read the parts of the book with Xeno in, as background research if nothing else. Look at the mess Sir Michael Gambon made of Dumbledore’s character in GoF because he hadn’t done any reseach to find out what his character is like!

Not good!

Posted by Neil in Scotland * ROAR! * on June 03, 2009, 02:04 PM report to moderator
373_thumb

hes not who i imagined would play the role but i think hes a realy good actor! i dont know if he will be able to resist reading the books once hes played the part and see the films!

Posted by mystifiedbymuggles on June 03, 2009, 02:40 PM report to moderator
Commishfandg_thumb

I don’t think a lot of adult actors in HP have read the books. His part is quite small. He will certainly have one scene and he’s gone ! But he is an actor who knows how to play crazy so that’s a good point for him !

Posted by WeasleyBoy on June 03, 2009, 02:58 PM report to moderator
Ravenclaw_thumb

how can he nnot be a fan of harry potter? & how can he have not read the books? how the heck is he supposed to know how exactly his character is ugh. but i guess xeno acts like he doesn’t know whats going on anyways so it MIGHT work out. my theory is if you are going to do something, do it right.

Posted by Mary11_hplvr*WBM* on June 03, 2009, 03:25 PM report to moderator
Img_44501_thumb

he looks like he’d do a decent job. let’s all hope he does.

Posted by mai {beatnik owl} on June 03, 2009, 04:19 PM report to moderator

While I agree that an actor isn’t required to read the books or to be a fan of HP, I do prefer the actors who read the books because it shows that they are taking HP seriously and care about bringing their characters to life in the most accurate way possible. So I hope he reads the books, but if he doesn’t, it won’t be the end of the world since he’s playing a pretty small part. I definitely think all the actors playing main characters should be expected to read the books, though. I mean, part of acting is understanding your character as much as possible and so if you refuse to read the books which have a bunch more descriptions of and insights about your character then that’s kind of weird.

Posted by badger666 on June 03, 2009, 05:02 PM report to moderator

I hope he reads the books. I would think it would give him a better perspective into who he is playing.

Posted by Heavenly_Horcrux on June 03, 2009, 05:05 PM report to moderator
Dscf3733_02_thumb

why are people bashing him for not reading a book?
he’s not saying he hates the series, he got a role, and he obviously wants to play it.

as for the title of the article,
HE’S GOING TO HAVE TO READ THE SCRIPT SOMETIME.
stop trying to be witty.

Posted by duo_93 on June 03, 2009, 05:49 PM report to moderator
Dscf3733_02_thumb

why are people bashing him for not reading a book?

as for the title of the article,
HE’S GOING TO HAVE TO READ THE SCRIPT SOMETIME.
stop trying to be witty.

Posted by duo_93 on June 03, 2009, 05:49 PM report to moderator
12440441_thumb
19573 Points

Hm… Interesting to hear wwhat he was saying

Posted by R-for-H {ROAR} :D on June 03, 2009, 06:03 PM report to moderator
12440441_thumb
19573 Points

Hm… Interesting to hear wwhat he was saying

Posted by R-for-H {ROAR} :D on June 03, 2009, 06:03 PM report to moderator
Da1a_thumb

I did picture Luna’s father as much older for some reason….not sure why!
Erin

Posted by Rin68nyr on June 03, 2009, 08:02 PM report to moderator

...their heads were hooded and their faces masked. High above them, floating along in midair, four struggling figures were being contorted into grotesque shapes. It was as though the masked wizards on the ground were puppeteers, and the people above them

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014