Rhys Ifans Says He Has Not Yet Read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

DH Film
June 03, 2009, 10:14 AM

Several weeks ago, TLC first told you that actor Rhys Ifans would be portraying the role of Xenophilius Lovegood, eccentric publisher of the Quibbler magazine, and the father to DA member Luna Lovegood in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Several times now Rhys Ifans has spoken about his involvement in the series, the most recent in an interview for Wales Radio. Scores of readers have emailed saying a translation of the interview is online via Forum Wales, that reads as follows:

I can't reveal much about the new HP film, which I don't understand because the book is out anyway, but I had to sign a clause that I wouldn't. However, I play Xenophilus Lovegood, a wizard who is the father of Luna Lovegood, one of HP's friends. That's all I can really say because I haven't read the book! There's been so much money thrown at the project, with there having been 5 other films. They're filming up in Levenshue near Luton in an old Rolls Royce airplane engine factory. It's an enormous place, so you walk about and see things like a zoo full of owls, so if you need an owl for a scene, you pick up the phone and someone comes across with an owl. It's a like a machine. I've never been - in America - with an employer of so many people. I'm not a big fan of HP but it feels like a priviledge to get called up with people like Maggie Smith and Michael Gambon so it's an honour that they thought of me to play a cross-eyed wizard.

TLC believes Rhys has filmed several times already in the part of the flamboyant magazine editor, with Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part One due in theaters Thanksgiving weekend, November, 2010. Thanks so much M for the translation, to Mary, David, Bill, SS, and all who emailed!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

1_thumb

Now, that’s a bit harsh. It didn’t come across as prideful that he’d never read the books, more like he was excited to get to work along such great actors, and also answering that no, he hadn’t read the books.

Also, it’s very interesting what he said about how the HP “machine” works.

Posted by Dawlish and the Archies {WBM!} on June 03, 2009, 10:27 AM report to moderator
1_thumb

Also, I like how the title of the article is that he hasn’t “yet” read HP. Ever the hopeful Hufflepuff, aren’t ya, Sue?

Posted by Dawlish and the Archies {WBM!} on June 03, 2009, 10:29 AM report to moderator
Avatar_thumb

Hmm, for someone who is meant to be playing a character from a book and not to have read it seems downright short sighted to me.

Oh well i guess we will have to wait and see, but i don’t think I’m looking forward to seeing him in this part.

Isn’t this the same dude that played Eyeball Paul in Kevin and Perry go large? :S

Posted by Prisoner Of Azkaban on June 03, 2009, 10:32 AM report to moderator
Q3_thumb

Well, that’s alright, I mean. He’ll prolly pick up the book. :/
I still think he’s perfect for the part
He’ll porlly change his mind about some of his opinions once he starts shooting LOL

Posted by KennedyJames on June 03, 2009, 10:34 AM report to moderator
Img_0211__2__thumb

I’m not surprised that he hasn’t read the book, and he isn’t too young for the role – He’s at least 40 yrs. old – and many of these wizards seem to have started having children in their early 20’s, so he’s actually about the perfect age to be Luna’s father (I prefered enjoying my 20s before having children). If I hadn’t had children who were interested, I never would have bothered to go out and buy and then read the books. At my age, you initially think they are children’s books. I’m very glad I found out otherwise (and I have read them more than once). The actors are hired for their skill and suitability for the role, it doesn’t really matter that much if they hadn’t read the book. Perhaps he will and will get more insight into the character, but Xenophilius is really not that hard to get a handle on. I’m sure he’s a fun character to play.

Posted by sueml on June 03, 2009, 10:40 AM report to moderator
001_thumb

It will be interesting to see what he does with hes caracter.

Posted by saffran { roar } on June 03, 2009, 10:52 AM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

Though he has not read the books, I am more than certain that he will fill the shoes of the character perfectly. Remain optimistic…and let us hope that he will eventually decide to expose himself to these marvelous books.

Posted by Kirk on June 03, 2009, 10:53 AM report to moderator
Alanrickman_copy_thumb

To be fair, Rhys isnt the kind of man to read harry potter, he’s an actor and a job is a job.

Posted by Professor Alan Rickman on June 03, 2009, 11:11 AM report to moderator

I think it’s disgusting the way so many people are slating Rhys. He’s says he’s not a “big fan” Who cares if he is a huge fan or not?! It’s not a pre-requisite to be one to act in the film. And as for not reading the book, that’s hardly a crime either, especially as the scripts deviate from the books. And this doesn’t make him ignorant! I bet lots of the other actors haven’t read the books!! My mum always told me, if you can’t say something nice, say nothing at all.

I think Rhys is perfect for the role! He’s got a quirky charm which can lend itself well to the role of Mr Lovegood.

Posted by jjpembs on June 03, 2009, 11:19 AM report to moderator
Burtondeppavvie_thumb

I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t be too disastrous if he didn’t read the books. Xenophilius, while being very interesting and delightful and such, is not the most complex of characters. It would be far worse if he were playing, you know, Dumbledore… :|

Posted by Linnyish on June 03, 2009, 11:31 AM report to moderator
Biker_old_lady4done_use_thumb

I actually think he will do a good job. He’s great at playing quirky characters. I don’t think you have to read the HP books to play this character.

Posted by Cool G on June 03, 2009, 11:40 AM report to moderator

I would hope as an actor…acting out Jo’s character, he would want to research his part in order to portray Xeno accurately

Posted by blueheaven53 on June 03, 2009, 12:12 PM report to moderator
Me_thumb

He sounds good enough for me, but he HAS TO READ THOSE BOOKS PLEASE!!!! It really annoys me when people with big roles don’t read the books (yes, I’m talking about you, Michael Gambon) while actrors with the smallest roles ever read them (like the actress cast to play Hermione’s mom). I guess his role isn’t major, but still, it’s bigger than Hermione’s mother’s role which isn’t even in the books.

Posted by Dances with Dobby on June 03, 2009, 12:33 PM report to moderator
Hpg05_thumb

I hope that I could read the deathly hallows ….. though he says that he should not be very a fan of harry potter, good interview …. rhys is brilliant for xeno lovegood :)

Posted by potterrock on June 03, 2009, 12:45 PM report to moderator
Hp7main_thumb

I think he’ll do fine a Xeno. He was my favorite in Little Nicky. (Yes, I liked that movie.) I’m sure they have a least suggest he read the parts of the book in which his character is involved. If not, oh well. No the end of the world.

Posted by 9and3qtrs[ROAR] on June 03, 2009, 01:22 PM report to moderator

"Luna and I can stand at either end of the corridor," said Ginny promptly, "and warn people not to go down there because someone's let off a load of Garroting Gas." Hermione looked surprised at the readiness with which Ginny had come up with this lie. Gin

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014