Radcliffe Talks Missing Dobby, Black Family Tree and More in Empire Magazine

Radcliffe
June 29, 2009, 11:26 PM

The August issue of Empire magazine contains a lengthy new interview with actor Dan Radcliffe on his role as Harry Potter. In a wide ranging interview, Dan discusses topics such as the upcoming Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and notes the problem of having to reintroduce Dobby again ("Maybe I should have a line when he pops up: 'Dobby! I haven't seen you since 2003!' "), the Black Family Tree by which he bought at a charity auction ("I've got a family tree from Jo Rowling which says when everyone was born. Harry Potter and Draco Malfoy were both born in 1980, so it's all set in the early '90s. By now we'd be about in the middle of the Oasis/Blur debacle!") as well as the directors he has worked with over the years including Chris Columbus ("I genuinely don't think anyone could have done a better job starting the series. If you'd gone straight in with Alfonso Cuaron, people would have freaked out and I don't think kids would have been able to take it.")

Dan Radcliffe also speaks to a topic that has been a source of debate amoung fans, the loss of those important to Harry. Given there are those who are trying to avoid spoilers, this editor recommends if you would like, you read this page of the interview in particular where the actor speaks about these scenes, as well as those upcoming in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. You can see the entire set of scans here courtesy of our Order partner DanRadcliffe.com!

Thanks DR.com!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe News

the dobby comment was sooo hilarious!!!
i agree, some stuff he did get annoying (the american child star comment)

Posted by cpv2006 on June 30, 2009, 04:12 AM report to moderator
Hogwartshouses_thumb

I hate you Daniel, I want that Family Tree…dies

Posted by Bellamount on June 30, 2009, 04:16 AM report to moderator
Siriusblack_thumb

great interview! it made me like Dan more. He’s a good young man!

Posted by Shalanarah on June 30, 2009, 04:45 AM report to moderator

I wish we could have seen Dobby more, but I am very glad he will be in DH because his role was very important!

Posted by RavenSmith {[WBM]} on June 30, 2009, 05:17 AM report to moderator
Scrap_tiger_1879__thumb

Yeah, poor house elves, very little respect -I really hope they don’t skip Kreacher’s story in DH, especially since you don’t really get to like Regulus without it, do you? I’m looking forward to seeing what everyone does after Harry…wonder if they’d be willing to come back in 10 or 12 years for Albus Severus Potter and the…….?

Posted by CathrynOCamdentowne on June 30, 2009, 05:41 AM report to moderator
Ed-in-chief_thumb

Great article – and I think he has a point with American child stars. There are excemptions, of course. Unfortunately there are just too many bad examples of American child stars getting milked and used because of their popularity all in the name of “strike when it’s hot” mentality.
Thank God for good role models from the HP films.
Just imagine Haley Joel Osment getting the HP part then getting arrested (which he did).

Posted by chikitcorpuzvesterbaek on June 30, 2009, 06:22 AM report to moderator
Pluto_thumb

Nice interview from Dan, lol for Dobby !

Posted by simos girl {WBM} ~Lemon~ on June 30, 2009, 08:30 AM report to moderator
Hedwig_avatar_thumb

We have been so fortunate to have our favourite books portrayed on film by such admirable people, and I hope that they manage to complete the series in the way we all hope for.

Posted by Graymayne on June 30, 2009, 09:12 AM report to moderator
Hrpetersam_thumb

Yes, but who would the trio listen to, Blur or Oasis?

Posted by Miss Dracothan on June 30, 2009, 09:59 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_lof6suzoya1qzaf17o4_250_thumb

great interview!

Posted by Matea on June 30, 2009, 11:24 AM report to moderator

first comment!!! aww i love dobby cnt get enough of the house elves!

Posted by granger_malfoy on June 30, 2009, 11:43 AM report to moderator
Capture10_thumb

I love Dobby too. I love the part where Dan says he should have the line “Hi Dobby I havent seen you since 2003.”

Posted by Gryffindor1991 {ROAR!!!} on June 30, 2009, 11:48 AM report to moderator
Picture_1_thumb

i love dobby!!!! he is so adorable!!!

Posted by theREALGinnyWeasley on June 30, 2009, 12:21 PM report to moderator

Fantastic article! Thanks, Sue.

Posted by Deb25 on June 30, 2009, 01:04 PM report to moderator
The_golden_snitch_thumb

He should actually said that line about Dobby in the movie :)

Posted by hermione97 on June 30, 2009, 01:31 PM report to moderator

"I have a theory, no more than that... It is my belief that your scar hurts both when Lord Voldemort is near you, and when he is feeling a particularly strong surge of hatred... you and he are connected by the curse that failed," said Dumbledore. "That is