Joke Shop Talk and More with the Phelps Brothers

HBP Film
June 29, 2009, 07:40 PM

James and Oliver Phelps are featured today in the continuing series of articles from the LA Times. Today they speak to the two brothers who portray Fred and George Weasley in the series. Of interest are new comments about the beloved twins and their new joke shop that we see in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Quotage:

MG: What was your favorite experience working on “Half-Blood Prince?”

OP:  That would be being a part of the Fred and George joke shop scene. The crew built an exquisite set and there are a lot of special effects involved to simulate the magical pops and explosions. It’s a great scene.
JP: I really enjoyed working with the crew. Most of my actual acting I was able to complete in about two weeks. When I wasn’t acting I would help the crew set up scenes and shots. I learned a lot more about direction and filmmaking in general and that was pretty cool.

MG: Are you often confused for each other like the Weasley twins are in the movie?

OP: It’s funny that you should ask that, because we rarely are. When we first went in for casting calls and got the part the crew was very methodical. They said to me “You’re George,” and to James, “You’re Fred” and I guess it stuck because no one ever really got confused.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

018734281a3970190750b972929570l_normal_thumb

oh Leaky when are you going to be nargle free? Is this just me? I’m finding it increasingly harder to see/comment on your fabulous news stories

Posted by KiwiMcI on June 30, 2009, 02:19 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_lnohl1j5ya1qenanjo1_500_thumb

The phelps twins are amazing

Posted by The Nerd on June 30, 2009, 03:25 PM report to moderator
Scarff_copy_thumb

lol thats awesome! i have always ad trouble trying to tell them apart, but i guess thats because the haven’t been in anything else i have seen, and they are always in scenes together, and rarely adressed sperately, like its not" fred", and then james walks up, its “fred geoge!” an they both come you know?

Posted by weasleyalltheway(rrooaarr!) on June 30, 2009, 03:25 PM report to moderator

They are by far my favorite characters in the books and the movies!

Posted by RavenSmith {[WBM]} on June 30, 2009, 05:21 PM report to moderator
Rupert_icon_thumb

lol no one ever got confused with their names!! i can’t wait for the joke shop scene! :)

Posted by megan_702*ROAR* on June 30, 2009, 06:15 PM report to moderator
Pluto_thumb

Greg and Foerge are the best!

Posted by simos girl {WBM} ~Lemon~ on June 30, 2009, 09:03 PM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

They have captured the characters perfectly and I doubt anyone could replace them!

I am absolutely excited to see what the filmmakers have contrived for Weasley Wizarding Wheezes!

Posted by Kirk on July 01, 2009, 01:48 AM report to moderator
Zzz_thumb

I also like how they love playing the characters!

Posted by mOOn-stArs-sUn [WBM] on July 01, 2009, 01:51 AM report to moderator
Img_4556_thumb

Yeah, poor James.

Posted by Dolemite [FTC!] on July 01, 2009, 02:37 AM report to moderator
Hbpofficiallstills102_thumb

I Love the Twins:D

Posted by Harry Potter 4 Ever!! on July 01, 2009, 03:33 AM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Cool stuff…

Posted by Won_Two on July 01, 2009, 05:49 AM report to moderator

I love the Phelps twins. They portray Fred and George perfectly! WWW is one of my favorite scenes of them, I can’t wait to see how it turns out!

Posted by treacletartftw on July 01, 2009, 05:34 PM report to moderator
Rupes_maggie_thumb

I can’t wait to see them in the movie! :)

Posted by hermyone*ROAR* on July 02, 2009, 12:01 AM report to moderator
Ronhermione_thumb

i luv the Fred and George!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ronhermione_thumb

COMMENT 2: correction:i luv Fred and George!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^soz i was about 2 put the weasley twins and then i changed it.

"Anyone can speak Troll," said Fred dismissively. "All you have to do is point and grunt."