Emma Watson As Hermione in Deathly Hallows: Six Takes to Snog Ron Weasley

Watson Interviews
June 27, 2009, 08:23 PM

Attention Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger Shippers: We have news on THE KISS, the filming on the long awaiting snog between the two characters in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. In a new and lengthy profile with the Times, Emma discusses this long awaited moment and confirms again the scene has been filmed.

“The Kiss,” says Watson, looking sardonic. “I expect I’ll have to talk a lot about The Kiss. We did it two weeks ago. Four takes one way, and two takes with the camera in the other direction. Six takes altogether.”

The conversation also includes some thoughts from the actress on director David Yates, who she credits helping her fine tune the character of Hermione. Quotage: "Watson’s director for the final three films is David Yates, whom she says brought more shade and subtlety to Hermione. “David taught me that the only thing that matters is the truth. His version is the truest, purest form of Hermione, the most real.” Watson says she is more emotionally mature than Hermione, and sometimes it shows on the screen and she needs a retake.

Earlier this month readers will recall we saw photos from a location shoot for DH that showed Emma in costume as Hermione Polyjuiced to look like Bellatrix Lestrange, who is played in the Potter films by award winning actress Helena Bonham Carter.

Recently, Watson went round to Bonham Carter’s house to talk through a scene where her character, Bellatrix, becomes Hermione after taking polyjuice. Bonham Carter wanted to know everything about Hermione, to get the role right, and as Watson admits, “I am a Harry Potter lexicon.” She also found Bonham Carter’s advice incredibly useful. Both actresses started young and are not traditionally trained. “I don’t come, like Dan [Radcliffe], from a very actorly family, so I was Bambi in the headlights – I never had anyone to guide me,” explains Watson. “I hadn’t been to Lamda or Rada, and I had a chip on my shoulder about it. But Helena said I don’t need to get trained: she taught herself, read Chekhov, books, theories, and she prepares herself so deeply for every role – the more you know about a person, the more you move intuitively.”

Watson sighs. “I admire her so much, she is so confident in herself, so happy. When she appears on the ‘worst-dressed’ list in Heat she says, ‘Who cares?’ She is comfortable with who she is. She probably has no idea how important those two or three hours with her were to me.” Watson is all emotional. You want to hug her, except she’s far too English and proper for that.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Watson Interviews News

Kc_lucius1_thumb

Emmas all grown up! Loved this interview

Posted by KC Nox on June 29, 2009, 01:13 AM report to moderator
67_richardoud_thumb

Only six takes? That seems low to me, but what do I know? I’m sure it’ll be amazing when we see it on the screen.

Also I love hearing that the two actresses had a sit down to talk about Helena playing Hermione. It just makes me happy somehow! :)

Posted by Noella_Mansrot [Raven] {WBM} on June 29, 2009, 01:33 AM report to moderator
Capture10_thumb

6 takes I bet Emma and Rupert were so embarassed and I bet they were glad when it was all over with.

Posted by Gryffindor1991 {ROAR!!!} on June 29, 2009, 03:17 AM report to moderator
1_thumb

Nevermind, now I get it. There was some comma confusion in that sentence. I was reading it as “Bellatrix becomes Hermione, after taking polyjuice potion”, while really it’s “Bellatrix becomes Hermine-after-taking-polyjuice-potion”. That sentence could have been better worded.

Posted by Dawlish and the Archies {WBM!} on June 29, 2009, 03:31 AM report to moderator
Imagescad1mlxa_thumb

wow six takes …i would so love to be in her place
sigh

Posted by muggle..andproudofit =:) on June 29, 2009, 05:15 AM report to moderator
Hogwarts_dementor_thumb

Emma Wasona and Helena Bonham Carter are both expectionally gifted actresses. Great Interview emma<3

Posted by HIFireWhiskers58 on June 29, 2009, 05:21 AM report to moderator
Me_thumb

“You want to hug her, except she’s far too English and proper for that.”

I wish all the young stars in hollywood are like her… I can wish, right?

Posted by alegria35 on June 29, 2009, 05:34 AM report to moderator
Quidditch_2012_thumb

What a good interview! I like the bit about Emma and Helena. She needs a good role model.

Posted by muzic823{ROAR} on June 29, 2009, 06:21 AM report to moderator
Ronhermione_thumb

OMG!!! i luv that interview! its sooo good! she is sooo nice and down to earth!!

67_richardoud_thumb

Hmm, I agree with Dawlish and the Archies, that one sentence could have been worded better. (Now don’t any of you DARE start criticizing my poor grammar!)

Posted by Noella_Mansrot [Raven] {WBM} on June 29, 2009, 01:38 PM report to moderator
Hbpofficiallstills102_thumb

Amazing Interview! I Love This Girl!… EMMA ROCKS!

Posted by Harry Potter 4 Ever!! on June 29, 2009, 03:18 PM report to moderator
Hermione_stills84a_thumb

I absolutely love Emma Watson—she is just so down to Earth and such a wonderful person all around! I’d LOVE to meet her, she just seems like one of those great people you love to be around!

Posted by PineappleCrush on June 29, 2009, 04:20 PM report to moderator
Pluto_thumb

Nice interview, thanks.

Posted by simos girl {WBM} ~Lemon~ on June 29, 2009, 05:52 PM report to moderator
Img_4556_thumb

If Emma can become half the actress Helena is then she should count herself lucky.

Posted by Dolemite [FTC!] on June 30, 2009, 02:25 AM report to moderator
Greathornedowl_thumb

They must have known what they were doing because 6 takes isn’t that many. They’ve really matured, haven’t they?

Posted by PhoenixFlight [ITC!] on June 30, 2009, 06:22 AM report to moderator

"Think my name's funny, do you? No need to ask who you are. My father told me all the Weasleys have red hair, freckles, and more children than they can afford."

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014