Emma Watson As Hermione in Deathly Hallows: Six Takes to Snog Ron Weasley

Watson Interviews
June 27, 2009, 08:23 PM

Attention Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger Shippers: We have news on THE KISS, the filming on the long awaiting snog between the two characters in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. In a new and lengthy profile with the Times, Emma discusses this long awaited moment and confirms again the scene has been filmed.

“The Kiss,” says Watson, looking sardonic. “I expect I’ll have to talk a lot about The Kiss. We did it two weeks ago. Four takes one way, and two takes with the camera in the other direction. Six takes altogether.”

The conversation also includes some thoughts from the actress on director David Yates, who she credits helping her fine tune the character of Hermione. Quotage: "Watson’s director for the final three films is David Yates, whom she says brought more shade and subtlety to Hermione. “David taught me that the only thing that matters is the truth. His version is the truest, purest form of Hermione, the most real.” Watson says she is more emotionally mature than Hermione, and sometimes it shows on the screen and she needs a retake.

Earlier this month readers will recall we saw photos from a location shoot for DH that showed Emma in costume as Hermione Polyjuiced to look like Bellatrix Lestrange, who is played in the Potter films by award winning actress Helena Bonham Carter.

Recently, Watson went round to Bonham Carter’s house to talk through a scene where her character, Bellatrix, becomes Hermione after taking polyjuice. Bonham Carter wanted to know everything about Hermione, to get the role right, and as Watson admits, “I am a Harry Potter lexicon.” She also found Bonham Carter’s advice incredibly useful. Both actresses started young and are not traditionally trained. “I don’t come, like Dan [Radcliffe], from a very actorly family, so I was Bambi in the headlights – I never had anyone to guide me,” explains Watson. “I hadn’t been to Lamda or Rada, and I had a chip on my shoulder about it. But Helena said I don’t need to get trained: she taught herself, read Chekhov, books, theories, and she prepares herself so deeply for every role – the more you know about a person, the more you move intuitively.”

Watson sighs. “I admire her so much, she is so confident in herself, so happy. When she appears on the ‘worst-dressed’ list in Heat she says, ‘Who cares?’ She is comfortable with who she is. She probably has no idea how important those two or three hours with her were to me.” Watson is all emotional. You want to hug her, except she’s far too English and proper for that.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Watson Interviews News

Dobbyyoda_thumb

Great interview!

Posted by bookishgal,OoM3,GS on June 28, 2009, 05:50 AM report to moderator
Normal_movies_officialimages_lunaspectre_001_thumb

Hmm… am I understand this article right… Belatrix becomes Hermionie??? Shouldn’t it be the other way around?

Posted by HPHealer on June 28, 2009, 08:46 AM report to moderator
Lust_thumb

That was an awesome interview. It was one of the best I’ve read in a while.

HPHealer, I read it just the opposite way.

Posted by punkedup88 on June 28, 2009, 08:55 AM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

Six takes….. I can’t wait!

Posted by Christine on June 28, 2009, 09:17 AM report to moderator
Rupes_maggie_thumb

well worth the read

Posted by hermyone*ROAR* on June 28, 2009, 09:21 AM report to moderator
5688_135733938384_552133384_3057018_6951656_n_thumb

I think because it is Hermione polyjuiced as Bellatrix, Helena needed to know how Hermione would act, because it really is Hermione, not Bellatrix, she would be playing at that moment.

Posted by mampersandy on June 28, 2009, 09:22 AM report to moderator

@HPHealer: no, not really :) Because it’s Bonham Carter that has to play as Hermione when the girl is polyjuiced :P

Posted by Claudio on June 28, 2009, 09:24 AM report to moderator
Lego_me_thumb

@HPHealer: no, Hermione “becomes” Bellatrix, so the actress who normally plays Bellatrix has to play “Hermione looking like Bellatrix”…does it make more sense spelled out like that?

Posted by Phil Boswell on June 28, 2009, 09:32 AM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Lucky Rupert!!!

Posted by Won_Two on June 28, 2009, 09:45 AM report to moderator
Electric_guitar_thumb

Insightful, and interesting. Can’t wait to see DH pt. 2

Posted by Lloyd on June 28, 2009, 09:57 AM report to moderator
Doctor_who_5_thumb

Six takes!
I hope it is good!

Posted by I've got a theory... *ROAR* on June 28, 2009, 10:01 AM report to moderator
12440441_thumb
19573 Points

I BET This is gonna be the best KISS EVER!!

Posted by R-for-H {ROAR} :D on June 28, 2009, 10:14 AM report to moderator
Avatar_hp_thumb

YAY!!! THE KISS! :)

Msn_thumb

Can’t wait!

Posted by HermioneRon4ever on June 28, 2009, 11:55 AM report to moderator
10312009016-002_thumb

Sweet!

Posted by sakuranbo07 on June 28, 2009, 12:08 PM report to moderator

"Mum, you've given me Ginny's new dress," said Ron, handing it out to her.[br]"Of course I haven't," said Mrs. Weasley. "That's for you. Dress robes."[br][i]"What?"[/i] said Ron, looking horror-struck.

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014