Safety Alert: Claims of Full Half-Blood Prince Movie Contain Malware

HBP Film
June 26, 2009, 01:43 PM

It's movie season again, and that means one thing: Death Eaters are on the move again sending out bogus claims that fans can watch the full Half-Blood Prince movies online, however the mails and links contain harmful malware that will damage your computer. As we Harry Potter fans have seen similar situations in the past, PC World reminds us that:

If you happen to see a too-good-to-be-true offer to watch the latest Harry Potter movie online for free, watch out. According to anti-malware software maker PC Tools, opportunistic crooks are using poisoned blog comments and dirty search engine optimization tricks to highlight lures such as 'Watch "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" online free. Clicking a link would take you to a post that would then attempt to fool victims into downloading and installing a "streamviewer" to see the movie, which is of course actually malware. Online crooks have used fake video codecs and viewers for years as a favorite social engineering tactic.

Viewer beware!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

I think they deserve it, personally, for trying to pirate a Harry Potter film like that.

Posted by Jaymie Brooks on June 26, 2009, 01:49 PM report to moderator
Hogwartshouses_thumb

Common Sense people, don’t look at anything that ISNT proven by Leaky. It doesn’t take a Computer Science Major (like me), to know that you don’t trust everything you see on the internet unless you trust the site.

Posted by Bellamount on June 26, 2009, 01:53 PM report to moderator
Capture10_thumb

As much as I would like to see the movie now, I wouldn’t dare do that. Its illegal and it’ll damage your computer.

Posted by Gryffindor1991 {ROAR!!!} on June 26, 2009, 01:57 PM report to moderator
Safe_image_thumb

well I support the movie and JK 10000000% but daummm can u blame me for loving spoilers and been Desperate I waited 2 long years already

Posted by Picazo on June 26, 2009, 01:57 PM report to moderator
Puppet_pals_yes_thumb

Not that many fans would actually WANT to watch the movie before the release date, for free, which is illegal anyway and is cheating out all of WB’s hard work and Jo’s storyline, even if it is not REALLY online! There are so many people who don’t even want to watch the first five minutes (including me)

Posted by phoenixes are in ravenclaw on June 26, 2009, 02:20 PM report to moderator
Lust_thumb

I can tell you that fans who try to do this are not real fans. Real fans would support the movie thus supporting JK Rowling. I think it’s sad that people do this both the victim and the perpetrator.

Posted by punkedup88 on June 27, 2009, 01:54 AM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

@punkedup88: Well, you can’t really say that they’re all not “real fans”. They’re probably just too anxious and too impatient, so they want to see HBP.

Posted by Christine on June 27, 2009, 02:10 AM report to moderator
Me_at_hogwarts_thumb
watching the movie online for free is like cheating JKR, and warner bors, but mostly JKR, and y would a real fan do that?
Posted by ProfessorAlice on June 27, 2009, 02:11 AM report to moderator
___thumb

I want to watch it in the cinema anyways LOL.
Thanks for the warning!

Posted by Jillian {WBM} on June 27, 2009, 02:23 AM report to moderator
Electric_guitar_thumb

I don’t want to spoil my imax experience anyway…

Posted by Lloyd on June 27, 2009, 05:27 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

All legal and moral considerations aside… NEVER attempt to download ANY film before it’s actual release in the theaters… Nobody is posting “screeners” anymore, so you are only asking for a worm or virus by doing so…

Posted by Won_Two on June 27, 2009, 09:29 PM report to moderator
Xz5jc2nr_thumb
22044 Points

well… thanks for warning!!!

Thank God I never watch movies on the web!!! ;)

Rupes_maggie_thumb

definitely a worthwhile reminder and disclaimer! :)

Posted by hermyone*ROAR* on June 28, 2009, 08:50 AM report to moderator
Biker_old_lady4done_use_thumb

I like a good deal as much as the next person but watching a movie before it has been released is asking for trouble. I can wait to see it in the theater and then wait impatiently for the DVD release.

Posted by Cool G on June 28, 2009, 11:53 AM report to moderator
Dhcalendar_thumb

Come on people let’s think before we act.

Posted by Brianna on June 28, 2009, 02:00 PM report to moderator

Five of Charlie's fellow keepers staggered up to the Horntail at that moment, carrying a clutch of huge granite-gray eggs between them in a blanket. They placed them carefully at the Horntail's side. Hagrid let out a moan of longing.[br]"I've got them cou