New Interview with Jessie Cave on Love, Lavender and Snogging Ron Weasley

HBP Film
June 23, 2009, 01:57 PM

The HeroComplex Blog in the LA Times featuring new daily reports on Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince has been updated today with a new interview of actress Jessie Cave. The young actress discusses her role as Lavender Brown, and the relationship her character has with Ron Weasley, as played by actor Rupert Grint. In the interview we learn she read the books before landing a part in the series ("I read ‘Half-Blood Prince’ before I knew anything about the auditions. So to have already read the character was so great.") working with Rupert ("He was very easygoing and very laid-back. He didn’t at all have any kind of ego, he was just a nice guy and very normal.") and the relationship between Ron and Lavender which involves a bit of...snogging.

Do you remember what your first day on set was like?
It’s funny, I was filming for six months, but I remember my third day was the big kissing scene. I remember thinking, ‘Why are they doing this so early?’ It helped actually because the nerves kind of added to the scene. There were so many extras, like 70 other people in the room, it could have gone so wrong. The first day was kind of building up to the kissing scene, so it was immediately going into the deep end.

If I remember correctly, Lavender’s the aggressor in the relationship, right?
Ha! Yes, she is incredibly dominating of Ron. She just wants to be around him all the time and she’s the one who initiates everything. She’s one of those girls that’s very pretty and very obvious, she’s just not really aware of how she’s being perceived by anyone else. And I think that’s really sweet in a way because she doesn’t perceive barriers very well [laughs]. She treads all over them. It’s why she ruffles Hermione’s feathers so much.

She does put up a good fight.
She’s almost the catalyst in setting up Hermione and Ron in the final chapter of the saga really. Without Lavender, they wouldn’t have been forced together, to acknowledge their feelings so abruptly because she definitely caused that.

How did it feel playing someone who everyone will know doesn’t stand a chance?
Well, she does really! She does quite well. She does go out with him and does get her claws into him for awhile. Not claws -- she’s lovely. She does get her way for a tiny bit, but unfortunately, it doesn’t end up her way.

How is Lavender introduced?
She’s in the Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes shop and she’s kind of ogling Ron. She’s been going to school with them for years, but it’s not that she’s making her interests known.

Thanks to everyone who emailed!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

018734281a3970190750b972929570l_normal_thumb

That was such a brilliant and sweet interview. She seems so lovely and firmly rooted. I suggest everyone click the link and read the full thing. When she talks about bringing her little sister to the set and getting Daniel to wave at her without noticing that Jessie signaled to him to do so was so nice. And when her sis almost fainted when she seen Emma :) Jessie really seems awesome, especially when she talked about now her little sister collects a sticker book with stickers of her in it this year
Cannot wait to see her as Lavender she seems incredible, I’m so excited to see her “ruffle Hermione’s feathers”

Posted by KiwiMcI on June 24, 2009, 09:05 AM report to moderator
49860_1104575754_1481_n_thumb

Lav Lav and Won Won … my favorite couple.

Posted by Garden State Geek on June 24, 2009, 11:09 AM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

I like her. I like how she improvised and went all over Rupert. Very lucky girl :D

Posted by Christine on June 24, 2009, 11:15 AM report to moderator
Bellatrix-bellatrix-lestrange-2012161-100-100_thumb

I think she’s cool. :D

Posted by Unforgiven on June 24, 2009, 11:24 AM report to moderator

i love jessy she is so cute and beutiful she is hawt like crazy whish i could go out with her rubert is lucky

Posted by 100000 on June 24, 2009, 02:20 PM report to moderator
Normal_dh_onset_londonday2_08_thumb

cool.

Posted by DanielleD on June 24, 2009, 04:41 PM report to moderator
49860_1104575754_1481_n_thumb

Lav Lav and Won Won … my favorite couple.

Posted by Garden State Geek on June 24, 2009, 11:12 PM report to moderator

Cool, she’s so nice!!! I think she’s right about bringing Hermione and Ron together! :)

Posted by HPfan221(ROAR) on June 25, 2009, 12:20 AM report to moderator

i love jessie cave she is so beutiful pretty and hawt like crazy i wish i could go out with her and rubert he gets to snog her luckey

Posted by 100000 on June 25, 2009, 02:26 AM report to moderator
Harry_snl_thumb

I am jealous of Lav Lav.

whooooooooooooooooooooooooot. any ways she seems perfect for the role!!!!

Posted by #1pottyfan:ROAR! on June 25, 2009, 05:40 PM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

She seems like nice girl… and lucky her for getting to kiss all over Rupert!

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on June 25, 2009, 05:51 PM report to moderator
Closeupoftriohbp_thumb

Good choice for Lavendar. Quite like I imagine really. Can’t wait to see her in the movie…should be lots of fun!

Posted by beewell on June 25, 2009, 08:31 PM report to moderator

I think she is going to do a very good job as Lav Lav, lol. I think the actors play their roles much better when they have read the book prior to shooting the movies. HBP is right around the corner and I do hope that it live us to everthing that we waited 8 additional months to see!

Posted by RavenSmith {[WBM]} on June 25, 2009, 10:47 PM report to moderator

She sounds so nice! It’s good to hear more about the scenes between Lav and Ron. I can’t wait to see how it all plays out on screen!

Posted by treacletartftw on June 25, 2009, 11:22 PM report to moderator

"Who's he, to lecture me about being out-of-bounds?" said Harry in mild indignation as he folded up Sirius's letter and put it inside his robes. "After all the stuff he did at school!"