New Interview with Jessie Cave on Love, Lavender and Snogging Ron Weasley

HBP Film
June 23, 2009, 01:57 PM

The HeroComplex Blog in the LA Times featuring new daily reports on Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince has been updated today with a new interview of actress Jessie Cave. The young actress discusses her role as Lavender Brown, and the relationship her character has with Ron Weasley, as played by actor Rupert Grint. In the interview we learn she read the books before landing a part in the series ("I read ‘Half-Blood Prince’ before I knew anything about the auditions. So to have already read the character was so great.") working with Rupert ("He was very easygoing and very laid-back. He didn’t at all have any kind of ego, he was just a nice guy and very normal.") and the relationship between Ron and Lavender which involves a bit of...snogging.

Do you remember what your first day on set was like?
It’s funny, I was filming for six months, but I remember my third day was the big kissing scene. I remember thinking, ‘Why are they doing this so early?’ It helped actually because the nerves kind of added to the scene. There were so many extras, like 70 other people in the room, it could have gone so wrong. The first day was kind of building up to the kissing scene, so it was immediately going into the deep end.

If I remember correctly, Lavender’s the aggressor in the relationship, right?
Ha! Yes, she is incredibly dominating of Ron. She just wants to be around him all the time and she’s the one who initiates everything. She’s one of those girls that’s very pretty and very obvious, she’s just not really aware of how she’s being perceived by anyone else. And I think that’s really sweet in a way because she doesn’t perceive barriers very well [laughs]. She treads all over them. It’s why she ruffles Hermione’s feathers so much.

She does put up a good fight.
She’s almost the catalyst in setting up Hermione and Ron in the final chapter of the saga really. Without Lavender, they wouldn’t have been forced together, to acknowledge their feelings so abruptly because she definitely caused that.

How did it feel playing someone who everyone will know doesn’t stand a chance?
Well, she does really! She does quite well. She does go out with him and does get her claws into him for awhile. Not claws -- she’s lovely. She does get her way for a tiny bit, but unfortunately, it doesn’t end up her way.

How is Lavender introduced?
She’s in the Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes shop and she’s kind of ogling Ron. She’s been going to school with them for years, but it’s not that she’s making her interests known.

Thanks to everyone who emailed!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

Electric_guitar_thumb

I look forward to seeing how her character is in the film….

Posted by Lloyd on June 24, 2009, 02:44 AM report to moderator

She really does have a sound understanding of her character – hopefully we’ll see a good performance from her. I liked the way she came across in this interview.

Posted by enchantedsocks on June 24, 2009, 02:47 AM report to moderator
Woooow_thumb

love ya jessie. you fit the part of being lavender ahaha cant wait for the movie.

Posted by boggart on June 24, 2009, 02:59 AM report to moderator
48413_in_l_thumb

So excited for the movie!!

Posted by emmalinnankivi on June 24, 2009, 03:14 AM report to moderator
Greathornedowl_thumb

She seems like a cool person. They all do actually, lol! :-D

Posted by PhoenixFlight [ITC!] on June 24, 2009, 03:28 AM report to moderator
B9ce557d1547686c_thumb

Cool intervirew

Posted by ErinM {Roar} on June 24, 2009, 03:38 AM report to moderator
Avpm_15_by_cuttlefishbella_thumb

Jessie sounds like a nice girl :]. Can’t wait to see her act!

Posted by Live Laugh Love Potter ♥ROAR♥ on June 24, 2009, 03:42 AM report to moderator
Pluto_thumb

Jessie seems great!

Posted by simos girl {WBM} ~Lemon~ on June 24, 2009, 03:43 AM report to moderator

I can’t wait to see her in the movie!

Posted by elaphantluv34 on June 24, 2009, 03:45 AM report to moderator
Hbpofficiallstills102_thumb

I think she will do wonderful in the movie!

Posted by Harry Potter 4 Ever!! on June 24, 2009, 04:33 AM report to moderator
I_thought_about_flying____by_siriuslyec_thumb

I would’ve rather had the kissing scene take place in the first few days so I wouldn’t be thinking about it and getting all nervous for weeks on end :P

Posted by PaintTheSky on June 24, 2009, 05:59 AM report to moderator
Me_thumb

cant wait to see HBP

only 22 days left to see it…

Posted by alegria35 on June 24, 2009, 06:13 AM report to moderator

I appreciate when the actors understand their characters well. Looks like she’ll be awesome. I can’t wait to see the “But he’s my boyfriend!” Hermione v. Lav Lav scene!

Posted by AubNoelle on June 24, 2009, 06:42 AM report to moderator

Oh my gosh, I wonder if they actually do call each other “Won Won” and “Lav Lav” in the movie! That would be so funny! XD

Posted by Sarah on June 24, 2009, 07:24 AM report to moderator
The_one__colored_by_burdge_bug_thumb

wowthey see her in WWW that’s new…

Posted by Luce-Lupin !~ROAR~! on June 24, 2009, 08:24 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"I wasn't paying attention," said Myrtle dramatically. "Peeves upset me so much I came in here and tried to [i]kill[/i] myself. Then, of course, I remembered that I'm -- that I'm --"[br]"Already dead," said Ron helpfully.