MSN Asks "Has Harry Potter Lost the Magic?"

Movies
June 23, 2009, 09:24 AM

The MSN Mom & Pop Culture Blog for Family Entertainment has an opinion piece today based on the question " 'Has Harry Potter Lost His Magic?.' " The article starts by mentioning the huge interest and media attention paid to the Twilight series, then discusses the delay of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, wondering if this would cause waning in the love of the series and films. The author notes that while some had been planning a boycott when the movie opens next month, the magic remains strong and firm for many of us, and mentions our own recent LeakyCon convention held last month in Boston. Quotage:

But on the other hand, there is reality. Harry Potter still has passionate fans. The Web site, TheLeakyCauldron.org reports more than 75,000 members in its online discussion community. These fans not only have no plans to boycott Warner Bros. for delaying the movie, some of them also traveled to Boston a couple of months ago for "LeakyCon," a convention that raised money for charities and featured the musical stylings of an astonishing number of Harry Potter tribute bands.
...
The event, put on by TheLeakyCauldron.org, wasn't just about bands, though. Two major names in young adult literature, Cheryl Klein and John Green, gave a keynote speech on the writing process. Klein was on the U.S. editing team for Harry Potter, and Green is author of "Looking for Alaska" and "An Abundance of Katherines" and "Paper Towns."

The author then goes on to note a feeling that is shared by so many of us:

As impressive as this is, conventions aren't proof that the boy wizard retains his magic. That lies in the stories themselves, where the magic remains in abundance...I picked up "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" again to get myself ready for the movie, and loved it more this time than I did the first. Once you know how the series ends, you can see the incredibly way Rowling structured the story, weaving little bits into the tapestry that would have great meaning later. All the while, she stayed true to her central theme: that a mother's love is the most powerful magic of all. And she keeps things refreshingly complex. Many secondary characters are a mix of good and evil -- sort of like how people are in the real world.

These books are good enough that they should be considered classics. The movies, for the most part, have been good, too. This is why I'll be at the theater the day "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" opens. For me, at least, the magic is as strong as ever.

Hear Hear! Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince opens July 15th.
Thanks Jenny and Samantha!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

Real fans, who have read the books, love the Harry Potter series. The magic will always be there for us!

Posted by danaskeeter *ROAR!* on June 24, 2009, 09:33 AM report to moderator
149638_103433969730594_2631787_n_thumb

No surprises here :-)

Posted by sessionka oom4 CW on June 24, 2009, 09:47 AM report to moderator
Dhcalendar_thumb

How dare they think Harry Potter is loosing it’s magic :O it’s unspeakable- it’s outragous, it’s- stuuupid. The Harry Potter fans will never cease to exist just as those who remain are loyal to it (haha, see what i did there ;) no matter what other series comes along. I am a Twilight fan too but I will never love it like i love harry potter. I grew up with Harry Potter, and nothing with change how I feel about it.

Posted by Brianna on June 24, 2009, 10:26 AM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

Of course the magic of HP will NEVER die. I think we are the most loyal fans there are. You don’t have that special thing with Twilight.

Posted by Christine on June 24, 2009, 11:07 AM report to moderator
Weaslyking_thumb

awesome :) What a lovely article. HP forever!

Posted by drhawks on June 24, 2009, 11:50 AM report to moderator
15657683_thumb

No matter what they say, the Harry Potter fanbase is still larger than the Twilight one. The Twihards, mostly teen girls, are just more vocal in the Internet. That’s why now it seems that Twilight is bigger.

Posted by Cellar Door [*SQUEE!*] on June 24, 2009, 12:03 PM report to moderator
Md050910_thumb

The Harry Potter series will definitely be considered classics. The storyline is timeless, and they are so well-written with very many intricate details and stories within stories. I know my grandchildren will be reading them one day, and the story will be just as fresh and exciting for them as it was for my kids and me.

As for the Twilight series, I did read them, but there really is no comparing the two series. Twilight and its sequels were enjoyable enough, but there is nowhere near the depth of writing in that series as there is in Harry Potter. The characters of Twilight are not nearly as well-developed as those of Harry Potter nor nearly as complex. I believe that the Twilight series will be remembered as more of a fad than anything, while Harry Potter will have a place in classical literature for many years to come.

Posted by HP Fan for Life on June 24, 2009, 12:30 PM report to moderator
Img_0052__risoluzione_del_desktop_

Ok i no people who dont even really like harry potter but they are still gunna see it these people hard core fans tho but im just saying there are a hole lot of people who will watch and enjoy these movies even if they arent hard core fans lol

Posted by ROAR! lilyjames on June 24, 2009, 12:43 PM report to moderator
Img_44501_thumb

the magic that is Harry Potter and JK Rowling will never die.

Posted by mai {beatnik owl} on June 24, 2009, 01:12 PM report to moderator
Me_thumb

To borrow Prof. Dumbledore’s words “Harry Potter will always be here as long as there are people who remains loyal to it”. I guess, as long as there are people talking about it, discussing it… there will always be magic… it will not be forgotten.

Posted by alegria35 on June 24, 2009, 05:09 PM report to moderator

I have read A LOT in my life, and I have never been compelled to re-read a book like I have with the HP series. I’ve read LOTR two or three times, with LONG gaps in between. But with HP, I have read the series six times and it is always just as good upon re-reading. That is how I know HP is a classic, because I have never been compelled to re-read like this, and I have read a lot of books.

Posted by Mimblewimble13 on June 24, 2009, 05:22 PM report to moderator
Msn_thumb

I must agree with the poster above me, Twilight was good actually, but nothing like the hype and not even comparable to Harry Potter! I hate when people say “It’s the new H.P!” or how it’s stealing from Harry Potter. I know tons of people who have read both series (including myself) and they all agree Harry Potter is better!

Posted by HermioneRon4ever on June 24, 2009, 05:29 PM report to moderator

Cant really see any other conclusion to that article other than the fact that Harry is as magical as ever. No point at all even considering whether Twilight has affected it in anyway cos it really hasn’t got the same pull, I dont think Twilight has made a single Harry Potter fan stop liking harry in preference for Twilight. Still wondering though, whether to read HBP before the movie comes out…

Posted by Kay on June 24, 2009, 05:40 PM report to moderator

THE MAGIC IS STILL HERE!!!! And, in my opinion, it’s even stronger and a bit different now that the series have ended.

Add me to talk about this ;)

Posted by ele0206 -ROAR- on June 24, 2009, 06:01 PM report to moderator

Add me to talk about this ;)

Posted by ele0206 -ROAR- on June 24, 2009, 06:02 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

Malfoy spent much of their next Potions class doing dementor imitations across the dungeon; Ron finally cracked and flung a large, slippery crocodile heart at Malfoy, which hit him in the face and caused Snape to take fifty points from Gryffindor.