MSN Asks "Has Harry Potter Lost the Magic?"

Movies
June 23, 2009, 09:24 AM

The MSN Mom & Pop Culture Blog for Family Entertainment has an opinion piece today based on the question " 'Has Harry Potter Lost His Magic?.' " The article starts by mentioning the huge interest and media attention paid to the Twilight series, then discusses the delay of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, wondering if this would cause waning in the love of the series and films. The author notes that while some had been planning a boycott when the movie opens next month, the magic remains strong and firm for many of us, and mentions our own recent LeakyCon convention held last month in Boston. Quotage:

But on the other hand, there is reality. Harry Potter still has passionate fans. The Web site, TheLeakyCauldron.org reports more than 75,000 members in its online discussion community. These fans not only have no plans to boycott Warner Bros. for delaying the movie, some of them also traveled to Boston a couple of months ago for "LeakyCon," a convention that raised money for charities and featured the musical stylings of an astonishing number of Harry Potter tribute bands.
...
The event, put on by TheLeakyCauldron.org, wasn't just about bands, though. Two major names in young adult literature, Cheryl Klein and John Green, gave a keynote speech on the writing process. Klein was on the U.S. editing team for Harry Potter, and Green is author of "Looking for Alaska" and "An Abundance of Katherines" and "Paper Towns."

The author then goes on to note a feeling that is shared by so many of us:

As impressive as this is, conventions aren't proof that the boy wizard retains his magic. That lies in the stories themselves, where the magic remains in abundance...I picked up "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" again to get myself ready for the movie, and loved it more this time than I did the first. Once you know how the series ends, you can see the incredibly way Rowling structured the story, weaving little bits into the tapestry that would have great meaning later. All the while, she stayed true to her central theme: that a mother's love is the most powerful magic of all. And she keeps things refreshingly complex. Many secondary characters are a mix of good and evil -- sort of like how people are in the real world.

These books are good enough that they should be considered classics. The movies, for the most part, have been good, too. This is why I'll be at the theater the day "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" opens. For me, at least, the magic is as strong as ever.

Hear Hear! Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince opens July 15th.
Thanks Jenny and Samantha!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

That should be die, not day.

Posted by scarlett3984 on June 24, 2009, 12:17 AM report to moderator

Well I’ve just tried to book at the London Imax for the opening weekend and found it all pretty much fully booked already, with only odd seats free, so I had to make my booking for just three people for the weekend after, which was also almost booked up. So if that’s repeated in other cinemas I don’t think it’s making a difference!

Posted by anne1 on June 24, 2009, 12:25 AM report to moderator
Normal_hp_actors_thumb

Anne I’m going crazy since I haven’t been able to buy my tickets yet. None of the theaters I want to go to have went on sale yet.

Posted by CandyCane2304 on June 24, 2009, 12:36 AM report to moderator

I did like the twilight books but they will NEVER replace HP. As many of you said HP spreads out for the type of people that read it, while twilight reaches only to younger girls. It can also be immature to a younger audience people that have read it should know what im talking about!!!!!!!

Posted by ron rocks WBM on June 24, 2009, 12:37 AM report to moderator
30305_116079131768789_113664342010268_91277_1312318_s_thumb

Harry will never dire…He’ll be 4 ever in our hearts… <3

Posted by Rita_Dumbledore94 on June 24, 2009, 12:38 AM report to moderator
Without_you__snape_face_shot__copy_thumb

Oh my goodness! No, Harry Potter has not lost it’s magic! And it is so much more amazing then Twilight! I hate Twilight! >.<
Though I was upset that they changed the date of “Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince”, I would never boycott Warner Brothers because of that! I have to see this movie!

Posted by Questyourdreams on June 24, 2009, 12:44 AM report to moderator
Hbpofficiallstills102_thumb

Harry Potter will live on forever!! It will be reread and passed on, it will be watched over and over agian each time bringing more Laughs than before! Nothing will ever take it’s magic away! WE LOVE HARRY POTTER!!

Posted by Harry Potter 4 Ever!! on June 24, 2009, 12:44 AM report to moderator
Avatar_hp_thumb

HEAR, HEAR! LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!

The magic is still as strong as ever and I can’t see it ever dying or fading just slightly for me. And Twilight — well that doesn’t even come into the equation!

Can’t wait for HBP! Yay!

Leonidascantread

Twilight aint got nothing on Harry Potter! Viva la HARRY POTTER!!!!

Posted by iampadfoot on June 24, 2009, 12:52 AM report to moderator
Puppet_pals_yes_thumb

Yeah right. Probably not even one person has read one of the books and actually knows that the fandom is just growing and will keep growing!

Posted by phoenixes are in ravenclaw on June 24, 2009, 01:14 AM report to moderator

My love for the series has done nothing but increased since I started reading the series.

Posted by Heavenly_Horcrux on June 24, 2009, 01:35 AM report to moderator
Base1_thumb

Really nice article..except the comparing..it’s kinda getting old to be honest.. Anyway, the Harry Potter fandom will never die! :)

Posted by evannaa on June 24, 2009, 02:08 AM report to moderator
Mac3_thumb
1925 Points

I don’t see what so special about twilight and Harry potter shall and has never “lost his magic”. Nothing compares to harry potter series oringality.

Posted by Parkinsonpansy on June 24, 2009, 02:40 AM report to moderator
Dracosmile_thumb

I have been looking for a Harry Potter poster that has the trio all together and I never found one. In fact, I can’t find anything Harry Potter anymore. Since Twilight came out (Yes, i was one of those that read the books one and two and I could never get past the first chapter in 3) Harry has been pushed to the back burner. My friend tells me once the movie comes out then everyone will be on the Harry Potter craze. People are just passing time for the new movie. I used to like the Twilight books, but then I read Harry and I realized that Twilight does not have character development and it was poorly written (to me anyway, no offense) wheras the characters grow and learn new things every book in Harry. There are more funny things (anything happening to Malfoy, a dwarf in cupid clothes sitting on Harry to read a note from Lockhart) and everything is tied somehow in the most complicated storyline I ever read. This rivals my favorite series, Dragonlance.

Posted by Dunedainsith on June 24, 2009, 02:54 AM report to moderator
Puppet_pals_yes_thumb

Actually now, I think this guy understands, but the people who compared it to Twilight, come on, this is getting old!! Seriously, Twilight and Harry Potter have nothing in common except being a popular series. So, just get over it. It was pretty cool for Leaky to get mentioned in this article!!

Posted by phoenixes are in ravenclaw on June 24, 2009, 03:05 AM report to moderator

"Oh this is no use," Hermione said, snapping shut [i]Weird Wizarding Dilemmas.[/i] "Who on earth wants to make their nose hair grow into ringlets?"[br]"I wouldn't mind," said Fred Weasley's voice. "Be a talking point, wouldn't it?"

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014