MSN Asks "Has Harry Potter Lost the Magic?"

Movies
June 23, 2009, 09:24 AM

The MSN Mom & Pop Culture Blog for Family Entertainment has an opinion piece today based on the question " 'Has Harry Potter Lost His Magic?.' " The article starts by mentioning the huge interest and media attention paid to the Twilight series, then discusses the delay of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, wondering if this would cause waning in the love of the series and films. The author notes that while some had been planning a boycott when the movie opens next month, the magic remains strong and firm for many of us, and mentions our own recent LeakyCon convention held last month in Boston. Quotage:

But on the other hand, there is reality. Harry Potter still has passionate fans. The Web site, TheLeakyCauldron.org reports more than 75,000 members in its online discussion community. These fans not only have no plans to boycott Warner Bros. for delaying the movie, some of them also traveled to Boston a couple of months ago for "LeakyCon," a convention that raised money for charities and featured the musical stylings of an astonishing number of Harry Potter tribute bands.
...
The event, put on by TheLeakyCauldron.org, wasn't just about bands, though. Two major names in young adult literature, Cheryl Klein and John Green, gave a keynote speech on the writing process. Klein was on the U.S. editing team for Harry Potter, and Green is author of "Looking for Alaska" and "An Abundance of Katherines" and "Paper Towns."

The author then goes on to note a feeling that is shared by so many of us:

As impressive as this is, conventions aren't proof that the boy wizard retains his magic. That lies in the stories themselves, where the magic remains in abundance...I picked up "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" again to get myself ready for the movie, and loved it more this time than I did the first. Once you know how the series ends, you can see the incredibly way Rowling structured the story, weaving little bits into the tapestry that would have great meaning later. All the while, she stayed true to her central theme: that a mother's love is the most powerful magic of all. And she keeps things refreshingly complex. Many secondary characters are a mix of good and evil -- sort of like how people are in the real world.

These books are good enough that they should be considered classics. The movies, for the most part, have been good, too. This is why I'll be at the theater the day "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" opens. For me, at least, the magic is as strong as ever.

Hear Hear! Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince opens July 15th.
Thanks Jenny and Samantha!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

Th_th03_1__thumb

Yes I loved this. I hate it when people say that Harry was old adn that Twlight replaced it. I don’t think Harry Potter will ever lose its magic! even though all the book are done cmming out we still have the movies, and we can still re-read the books! like she said,"I picked up “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” again to get myself ready for the movie, and loved it more this time than I did the first." I think thats how we all fell, now that we know the end of the story we can enjoy it on a whole new level.
LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER! :DD

Posted by ღ Courtney {R0aR} ღ on June 23, 2009, 11:02 PM report to moderator
Hobgoblin13_thumb

“Harry Potter tribute bands”? hehe they really don’t get it do they

Posted by Hobgoblin 13 on June 23, 2009, 11:03 PM report to moderator
Laughing_dan_thumb
2027 Points

what a great article! applause cuz the atuthor expressises a common question “is harry potter’s rein over” and they rightfully firmly squashed that idea. VIVE HP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by sunlitdays (ROAR) on June 23, 2009, 11:09 PM report to moderator

The magic will never die out for me :P I re-read the series at least twice a year and still find myself highly anticipating the next page every time. I don’t think this will ever change.

Anyways, I don’t think twilight would be as well received if it didn’t have Robert Pattinson playing Edward to begin with. (And guess where he started out……)

Posted by Lisee_Lu on June 23, 2009, 11:16 PM report to moderator
Trio_poster_thumb

I think magic will never go away… At least not for real Harry Potter fans. I’m a huge Harry Potter fan and I can’t wait for HPB to come, and I’m 100% sure that I will love Harry Potter books until the day I die. There is no words to describe how wonderfull this books and movies are… Real Harry Potter fans will never forget happiness that those books could bring you and there’s no way to compare Harry Potter and Twilight… As J.K.Rowling wrote in her dedication in Deathly Hallows : “And to you, if you have stuck with Harry until the very end.” LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!!!

Posted by Petra on June 23, 2009, 11:18 PM report to moderator
Normal_hp_actors_thumb

I’m sorry but I could never see twilight getting an exhibit at a prestigeious museum like the the Science of Industry in Chicago. Though I have read the Twilight books and will see the New Moon, I know I will never been as excited as when a new Harry Potter movie and book comes out.

Posted by CandyCane2304 on June 23, 2009, 11:20 PM report to moderator
Green_avatar_thumb

While I think that Twilight will have some fans for a little bit, it will never measure up to Harry Potter. My love for the series will never fade!

Posted by 3 Weasley Twin (ROAR!) ~{WWW Employee}~ on June 23, 2009, 11:25 PM report to moderator
6775_1198083715685_1336262920_30563827_4626040_n_thumb

I think twilight will die out way before Harry Potter even slows down. Twilight sucks ass and Harry Potter rocks. They can co-exist tho!

Posted by Kristin1994 on June 23, 2009, 11:35 PM report to moderator
6775_1198083715685_1336262920_30563827_4626040_n_thumb

Posted by Kristin1994 on June 23, 2009, 11:35 PM report to moderator

As long as there are fans of the books out there, the magic will never die. The hype and drama surrounding the movies may also keep fandom going, but the people who will always love the HP world are those who first fell in love with the books. I don’t know about anyone else, but HP is the FIRST book (or series I should say) that I have ever read multiple times. I am usually a one-hitter quitter when it comes to books, but not HP. I could read it over and over.

Posted by bookmonster79 on June 23, 2009, 11:40 PM report to moderator

This is just one of those stupid Twitard-influenced articles. Just ignore it, everybody.

Posted by Jaymie Brooks on June 23, 2009, 11:56 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_lof6suzoya1qzaf17o4_250_thumb

lost the magic!? please…because of Twilight? pleaseeeeeeee…I’m a fan of both, but separately, and there is nothing out there like HP. Do you think any Tw movie will earn as much money as any HP movie? I don’t think sooo…so for me,that means HP’s got the magic.

Posted by Matea on June 24, 2009, 12:06 AM report to moderator
Malfoy_avatar_thumb

I liked Twilight ok – the more action parts – not the girly endless hand wringing parts that I skipped over. But it was never as well organised or thought out as the Potter. I’m not really knocking it, it’s just that how can a normal writer hope to stand up against perfection?
Harry will live forever.

Posted by Hydrus on June 24, 2009, 12:08 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_lof6suzoya1qzaf17o4_250_thumb

and one more thing..they’re always putting Twilight in the same cauldron with HP. please,please…I’m a fan of both,thats the only thing that unites them.

Posted by Matea on June 24, 2009, 12:08 AM report to moderator

HP Magic will not day for a long, long time (if ever!). I’m 24 and my friends and I are having a HP party on 7-11-09 in celebration of the HBP. HP rocks!

Posted by scarlett3984 on June 24, 2009, 12:15 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

Ron's wand was still malfunctioning, surpassing itself on Friday morning by shooting out of Ron's hand in Charms and hitting tiny old Professor Flitwick squarely between the eyes, creating a large, throbbing green boil where it had struck.