New Set Report Previews End of Half-Blood Prince and the Hunt for the Horcruxes

HBP Film
June 20, 2009, 10:14 PM

There is a new set report online tonight for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince contained in the new issue of The Observer Film Quarterly. Found in both the print editions of the Guardian and now online tonight, this report contains a new photo of Evanna Lynch (Luna) and Dan Radcliffe (Harry) preparing to shoot a scene for HBP, possibly the arrival at Hogwarts which you can see via this link.

The set report, while quite lengthy, is very well worth the read, containing many new interviews with those such as David Heyman (on JKR: "was very much the same then as she is now: funny, irreverent, compassionate, kind, generous. Very discreet and private. Damn! She's hard to punch holes in ..." ) and David Yates on finishing Potter ("my commitment to Potter is absolute. First of all it's my job to make sure we go out with a bang and, as the Americans would say, put on a show") as well as new insights into the making of the sixth Harry Potter film. Of interest is a new line from the film, possibly at the very end of the movie as Hermione and Harry discuss the need to hunt for the Horcruxes. The article begins by recounting this scene as actress Emma Watson is having trouble with her line. The piece then reads:

"I've said the wrong lines." She frowns at her script. "Can we sort this out?" She looks down from the astronomy tower at director David Yates. He gently guides her through the scene in which her character, Hermione, is talking to Harry Potter about Voldemort's soul. Harry looks very serious. "I'm not coming back, Hermione ... I have to finish what Dumbledore started." Action stops again. Watson focuses on the script. Yates and Daniel Radcliffe discuss Harry's frame of mind...Yates talks him through it. "Harry's in a cold, dark place at the moment, but I would caution against melancholy ... you've got to make sure Harry's not weighty but more fluid, freer."

Later the author speaks to Dan Radcliffe about that scene, getting the following answer: "I ask about Yates cautioning against melancholy when Harry and Hermione were up on the astronomy tower and Radcliffe laughs. "The Half-Blood Prince is funnier than the previous books, which has given me the reins to be a bit more stupid. But I actually prefer doing the slightly darker side of stuff. I'm not so comfortable with being funny. One of David Yates's jobs on this film is to make me see that it's not always about the darkness in the scene; I have in my head that darkness in a character equals credibility and of course that's not the case."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

Cimg2812_thumb

Dan: “I used to have one recurring dream where I killed people and got killed. I don’t know what my subconscious is trying to tell me …” — Just a tiny bit disturbing? hahaha

Posted by ericaeeks on June 21, 2009, 11:03 AM report to moderator
Rupes_maggie_thumb

Very interesting; i love the details of the report! :)

Posted by hermyone*ROAR* on June 21, 2009, 11:09 AM report to moderator
Laughing_dan_thumb
2027 Points

we americans like to say “put on a show”? this is news to me… :D

Posted by sunlitdays (ROAR) on June 21, 2009, 11:31 AM report to moderator
Avatar_hp_thumb

Awesome interview …… can’t wait for HBP!

Img_0052__risoluzione_del_desktop_

O mY god i REally want to see this u have no idea how much i want to!!!!

Posted by ROAR! lilyjames on June 21, 2009, 12:55 PM report to moderator
C_01_thumb

Emma has swore in interviews before. No cause for alarm.

Posted by Rose on June 21, 2009, 01:21 PM report to moderator
41105_10150254604520192_615620191_14488176_2111077_n_thumb

pretty cool

Posted by placebowiz on June 21, 2009, 02:29 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Good article…

Posted by Won_Two on June 21, 2009, 02:57 PM report to moderator
Harrycloseup_thumb

I don’t know why I am always worried when it comes to the HP movies! There’s this bit in the article where it says that the franchise could become stale! :S I am scared!

Posted by HarryLoony on June 21, 2009, 03:11 PM report to moderator
60c9c9ed966148bcbf9c4a4258e60858_1__thumb

Ohhhh Nervous about the films OMG can’t be just 25 days away I WANT IT NOW

Posted by FrancescaElle on June 21, 2009, 04:06 PM report to moderator
Newgee1_thumb

OMFG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I cant wait for it ….. I wanna see the movie …. its locks really awesome …. mybe more than the fifth one….
HARRY POTTER ROCKS YOUR SOCKS …… yeah baby….

Posted by ms.black parade on June 21, 2009, 04:43 PM report to moderator
Avcj_thumb

What a great article!

Posted by Princess Leia on June 21, 2009, 06:18 PM report to moderator

Really interesting article thankyou

Posted by phantomles on June 21, 2009, 07:44 PM report to moderator
Groucho2_thumb

Just Harry and Hermione at the end of HBP? No Ron? That is, no Trio as a solid group standing together to confront the future? ???

Hm, this raises the concerns I have had with major omissions and discontinuities within and between the films, and in particular with my disappointment with OotP. IF DH 1 is going to include the wedding, and given the absence of Bill and Fleur (and many others), THEN there needs to be some type of set up at the end of HBP. Something like

Harry: I’m not coming back, I’m going after Horcruxes

Ron: Yeah, but you need to come to my place first. Remember ole Fleur Delaceour? She’s marrying my oldest brother Bill!

We wont know for another three weeks of course, but as I have written before, I am really quite concerned how well each of the remaining films, and the entire set of films as a whole, will hold together.

I often have the sense that the WB folks, and some of the top figures in the film industry (perhaps the entertainment industries more generally?), live in a very isolated universe and are out of touch with the everyday lives of most people. How else can we explain the rubbish we get in films, on tv, and in other ‘creative’ forms?

And let’s admit that even with the faults the HP films have been the best things out in years, which is why we watch and scrutinize them so closely.

On the positive side, how wonderful that the creation of the films has also helped forge an unusually close, large and engaged community. from the prop people and makeup through the major actors and directors….that is unique. I jokingly suggest that the economic prosperity of the UK (until the recent global and UK real estate/banking crises hit) can be attributed in some part to the JKR/HP phenomena! think of all the jobs that HP created!

Interesting as well: given what is presented in the article, it had to have been prepared before filming completed on HBP…which would have been what, late 2007 or early 2008?

smile…just three more weeks, we can wait three more weeks….

Posted by budb on June 21, 2009, 10:37 PM report to moderator
N1489362413_9748_thumb

Great in-depth article. Nice pace, good testimonies, an over all well rounded piece.

Posted by Daniela [WBM] on June 22, 2009, 12:12 AM report to moderator

"You just wait till I tell Dad you had that thing out --"[br]"Running to Daddy now, are you? Is his ickle boxing champ frightened of nasty Harry's wand?"