David Yates: Snatcher Scene Just Filmed For "Deathly Hallows, Talks Split of Films

DH Film
June 19, 2009, 10:40 PM

The LA Times Hero Complex blog has been updated with a new interview of director David Yates who gives an update on the filming for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Noting the interview took place in the wee hours of yesterday, David Yates tells the LA Times:

"We're here in the forest, we've just finished the scene where Harry, Hermione and Ron are captured by the Snatchers after being chased through the woods. The Snatchers are brutal and scary but they aren't the most intelligent of creatures.They're trying to figure out exactly who it is they've caught."

In more exciting news, David Yates also speaks to the splitting point of the two films. Quotage:

"I asked Yates if he had decided on the splitting point -- the juncture at which the seventh film will stop. "Yes, I think we have," he said. "Things can change when you edit, of course, but the idea now is that it will be not long after the sequence that we are filming here today. That's what we're experimenting with. We've had three or four different ideas about where to cut off the seventh film. Traditionally, the movies have ended with a death or a bereavement, some sort of passage or arrival. This time we think we will end with more a cliffhanger. Again, though, that's the thought as of this moment."

There is talk as well regarding the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. David Yates is asked about the casting of the Trio, and his answer is quite enthusiastic.

I told Yates about my new theory: That the single best decision made in show business over the last decade was the casting of Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson and Rupert Grint in the lead roles of Harry, Hermione and Ron. I could almost hear him smile on the other side of the Atlantic.

"Absolutely, I think you're correct. It was an extraordinary bit of judgment, bringing those three in. They have been so stable and level-headed and in working with them I continue to be impressed by how keen they are to challenge themselves and to try new things to bring out the characters that they portray. They have become these engaging ambassadors for the films and the story. They have been endlessly enthusiastic. They want to see how good they can be in these roles. They haven't had their heads turned, either, by the fame and attention or any of it, which is wonderful for everyone to see."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Avpm_15_by_cuttlefishbella_thumb

Malfoy Manor would be a great split..
AH! I can’t wait, but yet I can. Once the movies are done filming… there won’t be much to talk about in the fandom. At least we’ve got fan sites like the wonderful TLC :].

Posted by Live Laugh Love Potter ♥ROAR♥ on June 21, 2009, 01:17 AM report to moderator
Rita_thumb

Boy he really gave it away. I thought they were going to keep it a secret! I’d say there’s no doubt that it ends before dobby comes to the rescue. It’s gotta be when they feel most hopeless in the basement and then the blue eye in the mirror with Harry saying please help us. I don’t think they should do that as I never like the tv shows leaving me hanging and unsatisfied. Sure it leads to a lot of watercooler talk etc. but not a good feeling to walk out with. I would have rather done dobby’s death and stop with harry stuggling with the decision and then resolving to go for the horcruxes not the hallows. That was a real turning point in harry maturing into a man.

Posted by Aurora Duv on June 21, 2009, 03:05 AM report to moderator

Dobby’s death? Or maybe when they arrive at Diagon Alley? I always thought they would split the films right after Dobby’s death. It seems to me that the end of Harry’s obsession for the Hallows would be a good split point.

Posted by ele0206 -ROAR- on June 21, 2009, 04:26 AM report to moderator

A cliffhanger? Sounds interesting.

Posted by Wingardium Leviosa ❄WBM❄ on June 21, 2009, 07:24 AM report to moderator
Normal_hp_actors_thumb

I don’t care they split it, I’m going to be upset anyway.

Posted by CandyCane2304 on June 21, 2009, 07:51 AM report to moderator
1956p_thumb

loved his comments about the trio. they are really awesome folks!

Posted by cleber*ROAR!* on June 21, 2009, 09:20 AM report to moderator
Ahh_thumb

This is some exciting news.

Posted by spicefan78 OoM1 {ROAR!} on June 21, 2009, 09:21 AM report to moderator
Screen_shot_2011-08-05_at_5

I have a feeling their going to split it at the moment they arrive at malfoy manor or when they set out for gringotts cause i would assume that would be a cliff hanger

Posted by Sirius17 -ROAR_ on June 21, 2009, 09:57 AM report to moderator

I really wanted the movie to end with Xeno saying the line that’s something like, “Are you refering to the sign of the Deathly Hallows?” Very Dark Knight style.

Posted by Heavenly_Horcrux on June 21, 2009, 10:27 AM report to moderator
Quidditch_2012_thumb

Wow, that’s a lot more specific than any hints before. How exciting!

Posted by muzic823{ROAR} on June 21, 2009, 04:07 PM report to moderator
Hbpofficiallstills102_thumb

I am going to bet that they split right when the Death Eaters call Voldemort… I don’t think that they will have it split at Dobby’s death because he stated that they were not spliting on a death but a cliff hanger.

Posted by Harry Potter 4 Ever!! on June 22, 2009, 01:37 AM report to moderator
Harrypotter-100x100_thumb

I’m not sure how I would feel about it, if the split came after the Trio was captured by the Snatchers…I always felt that Harry’s monumental decision to go after the Horcruxes rather than the Hallows, which he makes while digging Dobby’s grave, was a rather climactic moment and a huge turning point in the story. If the split does indeed happen as the trio is captured, the digging of Dobby’s grave and the decisions Harry makes while doing it will come very early on in Part 2. I don’t know if a scene that seems to be so much of a turning point would fit well so early on in the film.

Posted by Hallows not Horcruxes on June 22, 2009, 03:24 AM report to moderator
Img_4556_thumb

There is enough happening at that part that they could split it at a few different places. Best not to get stuck on one thing at the moment.

Posted by Dolemite [FTC!] on June 22, 2009, 10:52 AM report to moderator

i was kinda hoping where they split it was going to be kept a secret but that’s asking too much i think haha. well he did say they weren’t entirely sure yet.

Posted by Leeann on June 22, 2009, 12:20 PM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

Very good interview with the director… I do hope they split the movie at a good solid point. A good part would be around the Malfoy Manor. I definitely want them to have enought time to do at least the last 5 chapters with lots of details.

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on June 25, 2009, 02:13 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"And there's a picture, Weasley!" said Malfoy, flipping the paper over and holding it up. "A picture of your parents outside their house -- if you can call it a house! Your mother could do with losing a bit of weight, couldn't she?"