David Yates: Snatcher Scene Just Filmed For "Deathly Hallows, Talks Split of Films

DH Film
June 19, 2009, 10:40 PM

The LA Times Hero Complex blog has been updated with a new interview of director David Yates who gives an update on the filming for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Noting the interview took place in the wee hours of yesterday, David Yates tells the LA Times:

"We're here in the forest, we've just finished the scene where Harry, Hermione and Ron are captured by the Snatchers after being chased through the woods. The Snatchers are brutal and scary but they aren't the most intelligent of creatures.They're trying to figure out exactly who it is they've caught."

In more exciting news, David Yates also speaks to the splitting point of the two films. Quotage:

"I asked Yates if he had decided on the splitting point -- the juncture at which the seventh film will stop. "Yes, I think we have," he said. "Things can change when you edit, of course, but the idea now is that it will be not long after the sequence that we are filming here today. That's what we're experimenting with. We've had three or four different ideas about where to cut off the seventh film. Traditionally, the movies have ended with a death or a bereavement, some sort of passage or arrival. This time we think we will end with more a cliffhanger. Again, though, that's the thought as of this moment."

There is talk as well regarding the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. David Yates is asked about the casting of the Trio, and his answer is quite enthusiastic.

I told Yates about my new theory: That the single best decision made in show business over the last decade was the casting of Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson and Rupert Grint in the lead roles of Harry, Hermione and Ron. I could almost hear him smile on the other side of the Atlantic.

"Absolutely, I think you're correct. It was an extraordinary bit of judgment, bringing those three in. They have been so stable and level-headed and in working with them I continue to be impressed by how keen they are to challenge themselves and to try new things to bring out the characters that they portray. They have become these engaging ambassadors for the films and the story. They have been endlessly enthusiastic. They want to see how good they can be in these roles. They haven't had their heads turned, either, by the fame and attention or any of it, which is wonderful for everyone to see."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Araneus_diadematus_thumb

I bet it is right when the summon Voldy! After Bella tortures Hermione and learns from Griphook that the sword is a fake and she summons him. That leaves Ron, Harry, Luna, Dean (they better have Dean in that Scean :-) ), and Olivander trapped in the basement. That’s a bit of a cliffhanger.

One thing they haven’t established in the movies is that Apparation is loud, and when Dobby arrives, it’s the loud “Crack” that causes Bella to send Wormtail to investigate.

Posted by Caracticus on June 20, 2009, 05:25 PM report to moderator
12136_373462265222_814805222_10077577_6700488_n_thumb

I think Malfoy Manor is a good place to split! I had thought they might leave it sometime before Ron comes back again and I didn’t want the non-book-readers to hate him for eight months or however long it is.
ANYWAY I’ve been really looking forward to finding out where the split is so yay :)

Posted by MuggleQueen on June 20, 2009, 05:44 PM report to moderator
Me_thumb

I really think they are lucky that they got Dan, Ruper & Emma for the trio’s part. They turned out to be good kids, thus no problem and no rescheduling of shooting.

Imagine if they got some problematic teenager? We would have died waiting for the next moview, or worse, our heroes/heroines will always have a cosmetic surgery, because they might always change the actor/actress playing the part.

Posted by alegria35 on June 20, 2009, 06:19 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_lof6suzoya1qzaf17o4_250_thumb

then dobby,I guess..hm…I really wanted Silver doe :(

Posted by Matea on June 20, 2009, 06:39 PM report to moderator

The scene in Malfoy manor will be a brilliant cliff hanger on which to end film 7

Posted by phantomles on June 20, 2009, 06:41 PM report to moderator
My_hero_neville_thumb

I totally agree with Yates about Dan, Rupert, and Emma. They’ve grown so much as actors and best of all, they haven’t fallen prey to Hollywood’s craziness. They deserve high praise.

Posted by KB Prez [ROAR!] on June 20, 2009, 08:05 PM report to moderator
Dscf3733_02_thumb

he didn’t necessarily say that the split would be after the SNATCHERS scene.
he said after the scene they would be filming next that day because films don’t film in sequence of the plot.
i really want it to be split after the part where xenophilius lovegood says,
“you mean the deathly hallows?”

i feel like if they cut it after the snatchers scene they might be squeezing in too much into the first half.
when you think about it, there’s so much important stuff that goes on in the first half that theyt might cut out far too much from the first movie.
i just hope it’s not too late into the book.

Posted by duo_93 on June 20, 2009, 08:10 PM report to moderator
0oh__snap___xx04_thumb

i thought at first he was making reference that they’d be cutting it at Dobby’s death (since it’s after Ron comes back according to him), but then he mentioned about how other movies sometimes end with a death but they’d be ending in more of a cliffhanger..

so now i dunno. :< either way it’s going to be painful to have to wait for the rest of it, but at least it’s only 6 months! if they push that back… i will be furious. >o

Posted by iceymoon [Cygnus] on June 20, 2009, 09:01 PM report to moderator

I don’t think they’ll split at Dobby’s death. I know most of you love Dobby, but I don’t think that he’s important enough of a character to REGULAR MOVIE GOERS for the film to end in an emotional way. They’ve only seen him in one HP movie, and only in three scenes.

I think they’ll split it right when the trio is captured, and they’ll include the bit with Voldemort and Grindelwald. That way the Dumbledore/Grindelwald thing can be tied up, and they can end the movie with Voldemort flying to Malfoy Manor.

That way the second movie can include the battle at Malfoy Manor, Dobby’s funeral, Shell Cottage, Gringotts, and the Battle.

Posted by Jaymie Brooks on June 20, 2009, 09:27 PM report to moderator
Tamy_129_thumb

Nice interview. But the split will be after the Snatchers scene? What the hell! That´s quite in the end of the book!

Posted by Tamyris on June 20, 2009, 10:12 PM report to moderator

Interesting.

Posted by badger666 on June 20, 2009, 11:35 PM report to moderator
268141_10150258426464313_156794164312_6914503_4625251_n_thumb

I always thought that they were going to split it when Dobby dies or when Ron comes back… But now I think it will be at the Malfoy Manor.

Posted by Hermione_Granger1987 on June 20, 2009, 11:36 PM report to moderator
X_13e5d120_n_thumb

The work is going:) I want to see the pictures from this scene:)

Posted by StJaina on June 20, 2009, 11:38 PM report to moderator
Hg_thumb

Excellent! To hear him say it will be after they are snatched makes me very, very happy because that means that adequate attention will be given to Gringott’s and the Battle of Hogwarts. Cutting it any earlier would leave too much. My hope for a while has been that they’d cut it when Harry decides between Horcruxes vs. Hallows as it’s the moment where he chooses his path. That might still work, but leaving them at Malfoy Manor will work well for me as well.

Posted by Chreechree on June 20, 2009, 11:41 PM report to moderator
Wgwg2_thumb
2064 Points

Great Interview! I completely agree with Yates on Emma Dan and Rupert, they are so great! I agree that no matter where the split it is it will be a no! moment!

Posted by hp29 [ROAR!] on June 21, 2009, 12:16 AM report to moderator

"Potter!" Snape snarled, and he actually turned his head and stared right at the place where Harry was, as though he could suddenly see him. "That egg is Potter's egg. That piece of parchment belongs to Potter. I have seen it before, I recognize it! Potte