David Yates: Snatcher Scene Just Filmed For "Deathly Hallows, Talks Split of Films

DH Film
June 19, 2009, 10:40 PM

The LA Times Hero Complex blog has been updated with a new interview of director David Yates who gives an update on the filming for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Noting the interview took place in the wee hours of yesterday, David Yates tells the LA Times:

"We're here in the forest, we've just finished the scene where Harry, Hermione and Ron are captured by the Snatchers after being chased through the woods. The Snatchers are brutal and scary but they aren't the most intelligent of creatures.They're trying to figure out exactly who it is they've caught."

In more exciting news, David Yates also speaks to the splitting point of the two films. Quotage:

"I asked Yates if he had decided on the splitting point -- the juncture at which the seventh film will stop. "Yes, I think we have," he said. "Things can change when you edit, of course, but the idea now is that it will be not long after the sequence that we are filming here today. That's what we're experimenting with. We've had three or four different ideas about where to cut off the seventh film. Traditionally, the movies have ended with a death or a bereavement, some sort of passage or arrival. This time we think we will end with more a cliffhanger. Again, though, that's the thought as of this moment."

There is talk as well regarding the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. David Yates is asked about the casting of the Trio, and his answer is quite enthusiastic.

I told Yates about my new theory: That the single best decision made in show business over the last decade was the casting of Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson and Rupert Grint in the lead roles of Harry, Hermione and Ron. I could almost hear him smile on the other side of the Atlantic.

"Absolutely, I think you're correct. It was an extraordinary bit of judgment, bringing those three in. They have been so stable and level-headed and in working with them I continue to be impressed by how keen they are to challenge themselves and to try new things to bring out the characters that they portray. They have become these engaging ambassadors for the films and the story. They have been endlessly enthusiastic. They want to see how good they can be in these roles. They haven't had their heads turned, either, by the fame and attention or any of it, which is wonderful for everyone to see."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

so basically 3/4 of the book in part i and 1/4 of the book in part 2 so musch for getting every detail of the book in these movies!

Posted by hallowman on June 20, 2009, 06:04 AM report to moderator
Icon_thumb

The most logical cliffhanger sounds like exactly what I have said would be the best place to break the films. When Greyback says “We’ve CAPTURED Harry Potter!” (fade to: “To Be Continued”)

That leaves the set-up for going to Malfoy Manor to start the second half of the movie. That gives up some tension, action, and of course the death of Dobby, which will solidify Harry’s resolve to start part II.

Posted by realspace on June 20, 2009, 07:36 AM report to moderator
Small_wizard_rock_page_logo_thumb

I think the cliffhanger may be about what happens to Hermione. I had thought it might be after we see Dobby’s death as they get to shell cottage, but from the way he’s speaking, it looks more like it will be during the Malfoy Manor scene.

Posted by Neil in Scotland * ROAR! * on June 20, 2009, 07:43 AM report to moderator
Img_0004_thumb

Will it stop when they get caught?
Awwwwwwwwww, we have to WATCH Dobby die! I don’t know if I can take it… sniff

Posted by neeshaknowsall on June 20, 2009, 10:09 AM report to moderator
Me_thumb

sweet! I wonder how bad they’ll make the stinging hex look. A cliffhanger, nooo! LOL

Posted by michaelabraham on June 20, 2009, 10:47 AM report to moderator
Me1_thumb

AHH OMG!! I’m so excited for this movie now but it’s a longggg time before it comes out! :[
But yay for HBP! Coming soon!

Posted by Jesicurz93 on June 20, 2009, 11:05 AM report to moderator
Avatar_hp_thumb

I think the best place to split it would be around the Malfoy Manor/Snatchers part, that would definently be a cliff-hanger!

And yes David, is so right about Dan, Emma and Rupert being fantastic ambassader for the films. They’re so level headed it’s refreshing to see!

P.S I can’t wait for HBP! :D

268141_10150258426464313_156794164312_6914503_4625251_n_thumb

I always thought that they were going to split it when Dobby dies or when Ron comes back… But now I think it will be at the Malfoy Manor.

Posted by Hermione_Granger1987 on June 20, 2009, 11:33 AM report to moderator
Picture_057_thumb

somehow I know that no matter where the split is, when I’m sitting in the theater at 2:30 in the morning watching hp7: p1, as the movie is clearly about to end, I’m going to say out loud “please god, don’t let it be over!”

Posted by abandonedboyjon on June 20, 2009, 11:45 AM report to moderator
Dobbyyoda_thumb

Great interview. After the snatching will make a good place to break the second book.

Posted by bookishgal,OoM3,GS on June 20, 2009, 12:06 PM report to moderator
Hbpicon_small_thumb

Interesting! Also, squeee!

Posted by abinar on June 20, 2009, 12:14 PM report to moderator
Rupes_maggie_thumb

i guess that explains why we heard that dobby is going to be in both parts of DH…great interview and compliments from yates concerning rupert, emma, and dan! :)

Posted by hermyone*ROAR* on June 20, 2009, 12:41 PM report to moderator
Laughing_dan_thumb
2027 Points

oooh so hermione being tortured as the split? that could certainly be described as cliffhanger-ish. i kinda wanted the split to be the silver doe when ron came back, but whatevre. oh man the movies would be so different if they were done by a fan girl….:D

Posted by sunlitdays (ROAR) on June 20, 2009, 01:23 PM report to moderator
Hpmaggie2_copy2_thumb

I agree with abandonedboyjon: no matter where they end it, we’ll be screaming, “Noooooooo!” as the lights come up at the end of part one. The wait for our delayed HBP was horrible enough. (I bought my presale tix today! Whoohooo, it’s really coming!) The six months between DH part 1 and part 2 is going to be TORTURE. Very cool comments in the article, but man, oh man, I am already frothing at the mouth for that movie and we don’t even have HBP yet. sigh

Posted by Headmistress LemonFaerie on June 20, 2009, 05:05 PM report to moderator
Ronhermione_thumb

i hate cliffhangers!! even tho i know whats gonna happen 4 this im still gonna be soooooo annoyed if they split when like ron leaves. i <3 ron :D:D

"By all means continue destroying my possessions," said Dumbledore serenely. "I daresay I have too many."