Harry Potter Film Producer David Heyman Talks Splitting on Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Heyman
June 18, 2009, 11:48 AM

Film Journal has released a new profile of Harry Potter film producer David Heyman. In the article, David Heyman speaks about the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, noting that since production is well underway on the final two Harry Potter films, its difficult to go back and focus on movie six which will be released in a few weeks. Speaking from the set of a recent location shoot for Deathly Hallows involving camping for Harry and Hermione, Mr. Heyman says:
“It’s really funny talking about Six because we’ve moved on—we’re deep into Seven now.”Right now, at this point in time—shooting a scene between Harry (Daniel Radcliffe) and Hermione Granger (Emma Watson) on a sunny location in Burnham Beeches where the two have temporarily pitched their tent in their road travels—the 48-year-old producer is steady and holding at seven-point-five. He continues:“My head is so much into Seven, and then, all of a sudden, you have to come back to Six,” he vamps by way of an explanation. “What I love about the Potter films is that each is different from the one that precedes it. In fact, I think they’re all quite different. They focus on different stories, and you have new characters who come in and bring them to life.”

David Heyman says of HBP: "This one is much looser. We take the time to explore the characters. Of course, there are big action scenes, big set-pieces, but what I think people really love in Harry Potter films are the characters—Ron, Harry, Hermione—spending time with them. That’s where the real pleasure is, I think."

He also goes on to discuss the decision to split Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, again refusing to say where the splitting of the two films will take place. Quotage: It helps, of course, that Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is coming at him now as two films, doubling his pleasure all over the place, but finding the precise line of demarcation “was something we wrestled with. I’m not going to reveal where it is just yet, but there are a couple of places. I initially was not in favor of doing two films.

“In the seventh book, Harry is at the center of so much of it that, when we looked at what we would cut, it was impossible. There was almost nothing that we could comfortably cut, so it became a very clear decision that we had to make two films. “Once we made that decision, the challenge is to find out where you cut it. I think we’ve made a really interesting choice. It’s acknowledging that actually this is one book, and there are two parts to the story, and I think it will be really exciting. “Actually, there’s almost enough material in here to make three films, but I think that would have probably tipped it over the edge. The book is a very rich canvas.”

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Heyman News

Hbp_poster_two_thumb

Ugh. I wish they would reveal where the cut takes place between the two films! Then again, discovering that information would ruin all the fun and pleasure the fandom has had in speculating the whereabouts of this location!

Posted by Kirk on June 19, 2009, 03:29 PM report to moderator
Micleakyavatar_thumb

Cant wait for DH 1 & 2, but I wanna see HBP already!!!

Posted by shellymione {WBM} on June 19, 2009, 04:59 PM report to moderator
Hogwarts03_thumb

I really hope that they dont reveal the where the split is going to be until the movie is out!

Posted by IwishIwas@Hogwarts on June 19, 2009, 05:24 PM report to moderator
Dscn1798-pippi-x_thumb

Yes, three films would be great, like a mini-series. Maybe there will be a director’s cut with extra footage:)

Posted by JRae on June 19, 2009, 07:20 PM report to moderator
Msn_thumb

“when we looked at what we would cut, it was impossible. There was almost nothing that we could comfortably cut” This makes me happy! I don’t really think they’re going to cut too much… I can’t wait to see where the split is! I think it’s going to be a cliff hanger-ish spot though.

Posted by HermioneRon4ever on June 20, 2009, 02:54 AM report to moderator
Avatar_hp_thumb

Interesting interview …. damn him for not lettin’ it slip! Ha ha!

And I’m up for three films … anyone else? ;D

Avatars_movies_ootp_002_thumb

Three films would have been even better! But I like that they’re keeping the place where they’re splitting it as a surprise.

Posted by Agrippa1 on June 20, 2009, 12:09 PM report to moderator

“the teachers they got along with and the theaters they didn’t”…that made me go huh? haha

Posted by Leeann on June 22, 2009, 11:42 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

Ron was busy building a card castle out of his Exploding Snap pack -- a much more interesting pastime than with Muggle cards, because of the chance that the whole thing would blow up at any second.[br]...he placed the last two cards on top of the castle a