Harry Potter Film Producer David Heyman Talks Splitting on Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Heyman
June 18, 2009, 11:48 AM

Film Journal has released a new profile of Harry Potter film producer David Heyman. In the article, David Heyman speaks about the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, noting that since production is well underway on the final two Harry Potter films, its difficult to go back and focus on movie six which will be released in a few weeks. Speaking from the set of a recent location shoot for Deathly Hallows involving camping for Harry and Hermione, Mr. Heyman says:
“It’s really funny talking about Six because we’ve moved on—we’re deep into Seven now.”Right now, at this point in time—shooting a scene between Harry (Daniel Radcliffe) and Hermione Granger (Emma Watson) on a sunny location in Burnham Beeches where the two have temporarily pitched their tent in their road travels—the 48-year-old producer is steady and holding at seven-point-five. He continues:“My head is so much into Seven, and then, all of a sudden, you have to come back to Six,” he vamps by way of an explanation. “What I love about the Potter films is that each is different from the one that precedes it. In fact, I think they’re all quite different. They focus on different stories, and you have new characters who come in and bring them to life.”

David Heyman says of HBP: "This one is much looser. We take the time to explore the characters. Of course, there are big action scenes, big set-pieces, but what I think people really love in Harry Potter films are the characters—Ron, Harry, Hermione—spending time with them. That’s where the real pleasure is, I think."

He also goes on to discuss the decision to split Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, again refusing to say where the splitting of the two films will take place. Quotage: It helps, of course, that Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is coming at him now as two films, doubling his pleasure all over the place, but finding the precise line of demarcation “was something we wrestled with. I’m not going to reveal where it is just yet, but there are a couple of places. I initially was not in favor of doing two films.

“In the seventh book, Harry is at the center of so much of it that, when we looked at what we would cut, it was impossible. There was almost nothing that we could comfortably cut, so it became a very clear decision that we had to make two films. “Once we made that decision, the challenge is to find out where you cut it. I think we’ve made a really interesting choice. It’s acknowledging that actually this is one book, and there are two parts to the story, and I think it will be really exciting. “Actually, there’s almost enough material in here to make three films, but I think that would have probably tipped it over the edge. The book is a very rich canvas.”

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Heyman News

26097981_thumb

I wish he hadn’t made that comment about making three films. I hadn’t even thought about that possibilty and now I’m disappointed that it’s never going to happen :-(

Posted by jenge {Meredith Mooncloud} ~ [ITC!] on June 19, 2009, 04:54 AM report to moderator
Da1a_thumb

I think splitting it at dobby’s death would be too late…hmmm…I"m not sure. Maybe after Ron returns from his “time out”

Erin

Posted by Rin68nyr on June 19, 2009, 04:54 AM report to moderator
Picture_057_thumb

I think the split may be shell cottage as well – mostly because I see the malfoy manor scene as a very good climax which then naturally becomes somber with dobby’s death. and that’s pretty much how all potter films end.

I’m glad to see heyman wants to spend time with the characters. that’s what I missed in ootp- they were the right characters, we just couldn’t have more than 10 seconds with them.

Posted by abandonedboyjon on June 19, 2009, 05:12 AM report to moderator
Picture_057_thumb

Posted by abandonedboyjon on June 19, 2009, 05:14 AM report to moderator
Harryhermione_thumb

from this iterview its obvious where the split is: when the come out of gringotts.. because if you think about the battle of hogwarts JK R has left quite a lot out on detail which can only be portayed by vision(film) the battle will be a full blown 2 hour thing. think about how long it would be> going throught arianas tunnel meeting in the room of requirement, crabbe dying fred dying look for ron and hermione going into the raveclawz dorm going into the forbidden forest going into the shreking shack looking at snapes memories the casualties harryies fake death neville and nagini and lord voldermorts death it will be really long

Posted by hermiones on June 19, 2009, 06:01 AM report to moderator
295565_thumb

3 movies !! ,awesome ..Go ahead Heyman

Posted by soso on June 19, 2009, 06:16 AM report to moderator
Small_wizard_rock_page_logo_thumb

This kind of talk makes me happy and excited!!

Posted by Neil in Scotland * ROAR! * on June 19, 2009, 06:40 AM report to moderator

I think D. Heyman has done a very good job with the movies so far (- OotP). I’m sure that wherever they split the movie it will leave HP fans in tears/tantrums/fits of the sullens. In other word, it will be great!

Posted by RavenSmith {[WBM]} on June 19, 2009, 06:49 AM report to moderator
Ginny_thumb

Aw man, why did he have to say that? now i wish it WAS three movies…

Posted by RaveKatie [WBM] on June 19, 2009, 07:38 AM report to moderator
Harry_potter_siggy_thumb

Intresting place to end and begen the 7th??? I have no clue now! I had a place that is not intresting nor exciting.

Posted by harrypotterlover10 on June 19, 2009, 08:47 AM report to moderator
Rupes_maggie_thumb

Wow, i actually thought he was going to spill the juicy details of where DH is going to be split…And i don’t think many of us would object to DH being 3 movies if it meant sticking to the book! :)

Posted by hermyone*ROAR* on June 19, 2009, 10:20 AM report to moderator
Me_thumb

can’t wait to see the film.. that’s all i have to say…

both hbp and dh…

Posted by alegria35 on June 19, 2009, 12:10 PM report to moderator
Hpg05_thumb

great…interview :)

Posted by potterrock on June 19, 2009, 01:07 PM report to moderator
Img_4556_thumb

For some reason I think he’d still mess it up with 3 films.

Posted by Dolemite [FTC!] on June 19, 2009, 03:06 PM report to moderator
Av_thumb

This excites me so much

Posted by Bader on June 19, 2009, 03:20 PM report to moderator

The Death Eater had pulled his head out of the bell jar. His appearance was utterly bizarre, his tiny baby's head bawling loudly while his thick arms flailed dangerously in all directions, narrowly missing Harry, who ducked. Harry raised his wand but to h