Harry Potter Film Producer David Heyman Talks Splitting on Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Heyman
June 18, 2009, 11:48 AM

Film Journal has released a new profile of Harry Potter film producer David Heyman. In the article, David Heyman speaks about the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, noting that since production is well underway on the final two Harry Potter films, its difficult to go back and focus on movie six which will be released in a few weeks. Speaking from the set of a recent location shoot for Deathly Hallows involving camping for Harry and Hermione, Mr. Heyman says:
“It’s really funny talking about Six because we’ve moved on—we’re deep into Seven now.”Right now, at this point in time—shooting a scene between Harry (Daniel Radcliffe) and Hermione Granger (Emma Watson) on a sunny location in Burnham Beeches where the two have temporarily pitched their tent in their road travels—the 48-year-old producer is steady and holding at seven-point-five. He continues:“My head is so much into Seven, and then, all of a sudden, you have to come back to Six,” he vamps by way of an explanation. “What I love about the Potter films is that each is different from the one that precedes it. In fact, I think they’re all quite different. They focus on different stories, and you have new characters who come in and bring them to life.”

David Heyman says of HBP: "This one is much looser. We take the time to explore the characters. Of course, there are big action scenes, big set-pieces, but what I think people really love in Harry Potter films are the characters—Ron, Harry, Hermione—spending time with them. That’s where the real pleasure is, I think."

He also goes on to discuss the decision to split Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, again refusing to say where the splitting of the two films will take place. Quotage: It helps, of course, that Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is coming at him now as two films, doubling his pleasure all over the place, but finding the precise line of demarcation “was something we wrestled with. I’m not going to reveal where it is just yet, but there are a couple of places. I initially was not in favor of doing two films.

“In the seventh book, Harry is at the center of so much of it that, when we looked at what we would cut, it was impossible. There was almost nothing that we could comfortably cut, so it became a very clear decision that we had to make two films. “Once we made that decision, the challenge is to find out where you cut it. I think we’ve made a really interesting choice. It’s acknowledging that actually this is one book, and there are two parts to the story, and I think it will be really exciting. “Actually, there’s almost enough material in here to make three films, but I think that would have probably tipped it over the edge. The book is a very rich canvas.”

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Heyman News

Hpmaggie2_copy2_thumb

THREE films???? Do it, do it, do it!!! I wish. :)

Posted by Headmistress LemonFaerie on June 18, 2009, 11:43 PM report to moderator
Twitter2_thumb

lol.. 3 movies? No problem xD

lol.. 3 movies? No problem xD
I can imagen that it is harder to talk about HBP now, due to the fact that they’re doing DH now, but that is the risk with moving the date of the movie..About the split. It is logical that they do not want to give away where they will split it. I mean, it has to be a suprise for us, so it will be a suprise when we will be watching the movie. So just wait patiently, and we’ll know ;)

Posted by Niphai on June 19, 2009, 12:14 AM report to moderator

Where will they split the films? It’s really the last mystery we have left, isn’t it?

Posted by Mimblewimble13 on June 19, 2009, 12:29 AM report to moderator
Order_of_the_phoenix__3__thumb

three movies would’ve been fine with, do four or five if you want to, just make sure it emphasize the book, make sure this series has the best ending that it honestly deserves!

Posted by kingdom on June 19, 2009, 12:38 AM report to moderator
Hbpofficiallstills102_thumb

I hope they do good with this and I hope that the rumors aren’t true and they leave Dobby’s death in there because that is such a huge part for Harry… I really think with two movies they wouldn’t have cut that

Posted by Harry Potter 4 Ever!! on June 19, 2009, 12:44 AM report to moderator
Harryhermione_thumb

i have a realy strong feeling that the split will be just when they get out of Gringotts of they get of the dragon into that medow-ish area near a lake cuz then they can start from the whole hogwarts battle i think thats the second part of the book…well it kinda is for me :)
it would probly sound like this. . .in the medow-ish area near a lake when suddenly harry finds out that the second to last horcrux is at hogwarts….the place he had thought of from the begining…then it’ll finish where like hermione says summat like “we’ll have to make a plan” and harry say’s “no it has to be now. . .” they all look at each other then ron says to finish the film " bloody hell!"

Posted by hermiones on June 19, 2009, 01:05 AM report to moderator
Poa_thumb

^^ @HarryPotter4Ever!! – Dobby’s death is in. We’ve seen pictures of his burial. :)
It would be great to have a surprise, but in all reality, I doubt the split will remain a secret until we see the film opening night. I believe the odds of it not getting leaked either by test screenings or cast/crew members are slim, not to mention by the time we eventually see the trailers, we will be able to piece together which parts made it into the first film… (just saying :/ )

Posted by Rumbleroar! on June 19, 2009, 01:11 AM report to moderator
282600_233804939987291_100000733600249_807455_78180_n_thumb

Ha im up for three films to ha!!!! the move of the book that in the movie the better i wish once movies would use the whole book just to see what it would be like it would be interesting.. expensive and a very long movie but still…

Posted by Horcruxalej on June 19, 2009, 01:24 AM report to moderator
Img_7118_thumb

I couldn’t wait if there were three movies. Imagine seeing only 1/3 of the movie, having to wait 6 months to see the middle, then seeing the end 6 months later. No thank you.

Posted by gooseywizard on June 19, 2009, 01:25 AM report to moderator

Three movies would be great!! However, I would like to see either the movies on DVD as it appeared in theaters or the directors cut which usually as more scenes in it than what appeared on the big screen.
Not looking forward to the finish of the movies only because it means no more HP on film. When is she going to do the encyclopedia ? I want it NOW!!!

Posted by hewy on June 19, 2009, 02:32 AM report to moderator
Puppet_pals_yes_thumb

OMG!! I just thought of something!! It would be so funny and so cheesy if they did in with all of the trailers before part 2 started, “Previously on Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows,” and like, a two minute synopsis of part 1! LOL

Posted by phoenixes are in ravenclaw on June 19, 2009, 02:37 AM report to moderator
Forest_thumb

I hate that they are keeping the split a secret. Three movies would be awesome too.

@ ErinM

I hate that it is ending too. I hope that before the final movie comes out we will have a new book from JKR.

Posted by Mimblewimble13 on June 19, 2009, 03:53 AM report to moderator
Tamy_129_thumb

I think the split wil be when Ron leaves.

Posted by Tamyris on June 19, 2009, 04:04 AM report to moderator
51gc04es2jl_thumb

ahh i can’t wait but i will be so sad for it to end =[[ i wish harry potter could go on forever and ever

Posted by cesca !ROAR! gold&yellow on June 19, 2009, 04:15 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"The Inquisitorial Squad, Granger," said Malfoy, pointing toward a tiny silver I upon his robes just beneath his prefect's badge. "A select group of students who are supportive of the Ministry of Magic, handpicked by Professor Umbridge. Anyway, members of